Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All racked up and ready to go

S

Scribbler939

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Just got our Thule G2 bike rack fitted to our 600 and it works a treat for our two Specialized SL e-bikes. The SL stands for Super Light and they have small motors and batteries so they weigh around 14.5kg each (about the weight of a non-electric full suspension mountain bike, and approximately 10kg less than most e-bikes). This means they weigh around 29kg combined, so well under the 35kg maximum load limit of the G2 rack.
For those who wish to bring two e-bikes along and don't want to fit a towbar-mounted rack, this combination of a rack designed for a van with two rear doors and a pair of lighter e-bikes may suit. The SL models are expensive but they've created a trend towards lighter bikes with power assist and other bike brands are now releasing their alternatives.
Meanwhile, can't wait until New Zealand reaches a vaccination percentage that allows us to travel and ride around our country again. Hopefully it'll be summer when that happens. Nga mihi.

IMG_0747.jpg

Looks like they stick out a wee bit on the drivers side?

They stick out by around 10mm - enough to keep an eye on them in the side mirror. The angle I took the photo from exaggerates the overhang of the bikes on that side. I guess I didn't want anyone to be shocked by my garage mess that's out of shot. Somewhere in there is old drift car... and lots of other automotive flotsam and jetsam.

Just got our Thule G2 bike rack fitted to our 600 and it works a treat for our two Specialized SL e-bikes. The SL stands for Super Light and they have small motors and batteries so they weigh around 14.5kg each (about the weight of a non-electric full suspension mountain bike, and approximately 10kg less than most e-bikes). This means they weigh around 29kg combined, so well under the 35kg maximum load limit of the G2 rack.
For those who wish to bring two e-bikes along and don't want to fit a towbar-mounted rack, this combination of a rack designed for a van with two rear doors and a pair of lighter e-bikes may suit. The SL models are expensive but they've created a trend towards lighter bikes with power assist and other bike brands are now releasing their alternatives.
Meanwhile, can't wait until New Zealand reaches a vaccination percentage that allows us to travel and ride around our country again. Hopefully it'll be summer when that happens. Nga mihi.

View attachment 85585
Nice steup and bikes @Scribbler939 but it looks like the tail lights on the drivers side are obscured and there are no lights on the bike rack! Is that OK in NZ?

View attachment 85585
Great idea. Are you a member of our New Zealand California Facebook group?

GrumpyGrandad: I guess I'll find out when I get pulled over.

Kiwi: will check it out (well, Joy will, I'm FB-phobic)

View attachment 85585
Good looking set up there. Hopefully we'll see you and give you a wave this summer if we are all set free by then.

Hope they’re insured . I’d put them inside if you leave the van anywhere . Oh and disguise them a bit . Just sayin’ .

Thanks for the warning Trebor, the clamps on the rack do lock, but I'm sure anyone with a slide hammer could break them within a minute or two. So yes, they re insured, also the Specialized Mission Control app can tell us where they are (should we need to know)...

Back