Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding a dealer who understands leisure battery issues

M

mikeringrose

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

My local dealer in Kettering Northamptonshire is totally confused and have admitted they cannot diagnose the charging problem. I am going on holiday in 10 days and am now in urgent need of finding a dealer who is good with Cali electrics. Can anyone suggest a good dealer to me.

You help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mike

Do you have any auto electricians in your area who could work through this for you?

Nothing beats the forum's experience....
What seems to be the issue?

No power is coming through when on hook up. The symbol on the control panel does not lite up. The cable and connections is fine. When driving the leisure batteries charge to 80% then drop off quickly. Parkway Kettering VW are a liability. I have found out they are ranked 195 out of 210 in the dealer network..

Have you done the standard check of all things that can posibly be the cause ?
Read some stuff here

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/battery-not-charging-from-hook-up-help.7664/

Could wel be just the inlet plug on your inverter is lose , this is the most common issue when the plug symbol does not lite up and the G symbol does so...
This means your inverter in simply not getting power from 220v hook up but does only when the engine is running

If self diagnosis fails just contact a local mobile auto electrician - forget VW.

No power is coming through when on hook up. The symbol on the control panel does not lite up. The cable and connections is fine. When driving the leisure batteries charge to 80% then drop off quickly. Parkway Kettering VW are a liability. I have found out they are ranked 195 out of 210 in the dealer network..

We had the same issue (symptoms) on our 2012 t5 the consumer unit had failed but our dealer was able to deal with the issue and change box.

Has this just happened recently?
1. You have said the cable and connection is OK.
2. Are you getting Mains current on the Kitchen Unit Mains Socket?
3. If NO Mains on Kitchen Socket then check the RCD switch in Rear Wardrobe is On.
If still no Mains output on Kitchen Unit and RCD switch On then there must be a problem with the Mains lead, house Socket or California Socket.
4. If you do have Mains Output on the Kitchen Unit, then check the Mains plug, into the Charger Unit, is correctly seated.
You have a 2014 vehicle. The Charger is located above the Rear Leisure Battery in the Wardrobe base.
So, boot area, L hand side. Inspection panel. Undo turnlock and remove panel. Behind panel is Leisure Battery. Above Battery is Charger. Mains Plug into Charger looks like this.

IMG_0340.JPG
It should be firmly pushed home for a stable connection.

If this does not fix your problem then you really do need a decent Autoelectrician.

He has not been online since 9.44am , seems it not that urgent...

Hi, Sorry I been out of touch. Visiting Mum in the hospital took priority.

Has this just happened recently?. Cant tell. Been some weeks since i pluged in hook up
1. You have said the cable and connection is OK. - Defo OK. Checked it with a multimeter.
2. Are you getting Mains current on the Kitchen Unit Mains Socket?. Yes
3. If NO Mains on Kitchen Socket then check the RCD switch in Rear Wardrobe is On.RCD is on.
If still no Mains output on Kitchen Unit and RCD switch On then there must be a problem with the Mains lead, house Socket or California Socket.
4. If you do have Mains Output on the Kitchen Unit, then check the Mains plug, into the Charger Unit, is correctly seated. OK Will do.
You have a 2014 vehicle. The Charger is located above the Rear Leisure Battery in the Wardrobe base.
So, boot area, L hand side. Inspection panel. Undo turnlock and remove panel. Behind panel is Leisure Battery. Above Battery is Charger. Mains Plug into Charger looks like this.

Might ring SMG and if they can fit me in pull my cali out of muppet city VW Kettering and take it them, That's where Jenny got Albert fixed in the end.

Hi, Sorry I been out of touch. Visiting Mum in the hospital took priority.

Has this just happened recently?. Cant tell. Been some weeks since i pluged in hook up
1. You have said the cable and connection is OK. - Defo OK. Checked it with a multimeter.
2. Are you getting Mains current on the Kitchen Unit Mains Socket?. Yes
3. If NO Mains on Kitchen Socket then check the RCD switch in Rear Wardrobe is On.RCD is on.
4. If you do have Mains Output on the Kitchen Unit, then check the Mains plug, into the Charger Unit, is correctly seated. OK Will do.

Might ring SMG and if they can fit me in pull my cali out of muppet city VW Kettering and take it them, That's where Jenny got Albert fixed in the end.
I would check Nos 4. Takes 5 minutes and all you need is a coin, to undo the panel, and a torch.

I have replied privately but as HC says, there can be a whole host of reasons. It took SMG months to find the problem with mine.

Hi all,

I am pleased to report that VW Parkway appear to have fixed the charging fault. By swapping out the inverter with an inverter taken from an new and unused Cali the inverter identified as faulty.

There appears to be one technician in particular at Kettering, Paul Marriott, who has a clue and is a sensible and diligent chap. Paul is not yet Cali trained though.

My lesson learnt here is be firm and direct when asking the garage are the technicians Cali trained prior to making a booking. If the answer is vague don't go there. Thank you for all your help. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Regards
Mike

Well I spoke too soon. The van is no longer charging on hook up. Back to square one. I removed the passenger seat and checked the voltage on the battering when the engine was running and off. The engine is charging. When Parkway VW put my van back together they failed to secure the relay in place or the cables that go under the seat. They are truly awful. The leisure battery beneath the wardrobe is also charging off the engine.

I decided to drive 3 hours to what I heard was a VW dealer who cared and understood Calis. I took my Cali to SMG Cowfold and Dan, Rob and Jason were a delight to deal with, most unlike my local VW dealer. The inverter was replaced again and within a couple of hours had the new inverter failed. With Tech Supports help SMG found and replaced a corroded wire leading from the inverter to the control panel. Looks like the Cali is fixed thanks to the SMG team at Cowfold.

I decided to drive 3 hours to what I heard was a VW dealer who cared and understood Calis. I took my Cali to SMG Cowfold and Dan, Rob and Jason were a delight to deal with, most unlike my local VW dealer. The inverter was replaced again and within a couple of hours had the new inverter failed. With Tech Supports help SMG found and replaced a corroded wire leading from the inverter to the control panel. Looks like the Cali is fixed thanks to the SMG team at Cowfold.

Very nice to hear. I always recommend them so was a bit concerned when I read the first part of your post but smiled when I read the second part :D

I hope it is now fixed, permanently.

Back