Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery charging problem

G

Gruff Evans

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, having searched through all of the threads, I haven't found an answer to a problem we have, so was hoping someone more knowledgeable might be able to advise!

We took delivery of a brand new Ocean 3 weeks ago. I had asked the dealer (amongst other things) to check that the leisure batteries were OK and that the charging system was working properly. They confirmed that all was OK and when we got the vehicle the control panel indicated that the batteries were fully charged. Within 48hrs, without any load on the leisure batteries, the charge dropped to 40%. I charged them overnight with the EHU and the van was driven for approx 150miles and everything seemed OK until the van was stood again and within 24 hours the charge dropped to 40% again without any load on the batteries.

The van went back to the dealer who checked the batteries and (they say) the charging system and gave a clean bill of health. They suggested that the batteries might have to go through a few charging cycles to reach there full capacity, and that this was normal behaviour.

The van was returned yesterday and the batteries were showing as 90% charged but within a couple of hours had dropped to 70%. I put the van on charge via the EHU and left it overnight. Today, whilst doing something in the boot (with the van still on charge), I noticed that the rear leisure battery was very hot. Not quite too hot too touch but if it had been much hotter it would have been. The front battery under passenger seat is normal temp. I unplugged the EHU and the batteries were showing 80% with 12.4v (after 24hrs on charge). Now, an hour later that has dropped to 70% with 12.3v, although the rear battery has cooled down a bit.
To me, this suggests that the rear leisure battery is faulty with a possible short (notwithstanding the normal test carried out by the dealer 2 days ago), but I am wondering whether there may be another explanation such as the charger being faulty (also apparently tested by the dealer).

Apologies for the long post, but I appreciate that there are a number of possible diagnoses and that the more information the better.
Many thanks
Gruff Evans

That is not right at all and suggest an issue certainly if the battery is heating up. I'd contact the dealer principle politely but firmly insisting that you will give them one more chance to investigate and correct the fact and if not you will consist an independent auto electrician and have the faults rectified at the dealers expense.

12.3v with no load equates to about 50% to 60% charge.

I wonder what their full 'test' consisted of?!

In the meantime I'd disconnect the rear battery just in case...

Hi there test should have been carried out according to the vw instructions consisting of a 24 trickle charge followed by a battery test with the vw tester then followed by a charge acceptance test which consists of checking the amount of amps needed to charge the battery against the nominal capacity of the battery. For example if you have a 75amp hour battery that is fully charged then the charge current should be less than 10% of the nominal capacity after 5 mins of charging. 75ah battery should need no more than 7.5amps charge current after 5 mins.

If it’s getting hot then there is a problem with that battery. Luke warm is ok hot is a problem.

Thanks for the replies, and for the explanation regarding the test.
I contacted the dealer again just before they closed today. There wasn't anyone with any technical knowledge available, although in fairness they have agreed to take the van back after the weekend and investigate further, so I will wait and see what they say.

Back