Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First European Tour

Wrinkly Ninja, I'm looking into having our White Cali two tone can I ask what sort of budget are you looking at to get it done? and do you have to change your V5? Cheers PJB

Wrinkly Ninja, I'm looking into having our White Cali two tone can I ask what sort of budget are you looking at to get it done? and do you have to change your V5? Cheers PJB

Hi Bertie

Because my Ocean was brand new when I had it sprayed I was careful to find a fully authorised and approved Volkswagen paint/repair outlet so that the work would be guaranteed and recognised by VW for warranty.

This of course meant it wasn't cheap (but nor was my heavily specced van) so it was over £2,000

You could certainly get it done for less if you werent worried about VW warranty. Also, some people like the idea of having theirs "wrapped" but I preferred paint.

What colour are you thinking of?

Never did anything with the V5...don't think there would be any problem.

Hi Bertie

Because my Ocean was brand new when I had it sprayed I was careful to find a fully authorised and approved Volkswagen paint/repair outlet so that the work would be guaranteed and recognised by VW for warranty.

This of course meant it wasn't cheap (but nor was my heavily specced van) so it was over £2,000

You could certainly get it done for less if you werent worried about VW warranty. Also, some people like the idea of having theirs "wrapped" but I preferred paint.

What colour are you thinking of?

Hi,

Thanks for the details, we haven't decided on a colour yet but we do like yours :)

WN, as per the gov.uk site here - https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

Changes you need to update
You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:
  • colour

You've so lovingly cared for your van (excellent choice of colour btw) don't let this simple thing spoil anything else. I would personally recommend updating the V5.

Have fun on your trips, and as all say - don't forget to share pics.

Hi Gazellio

We've chatted before about VW Retro alloys. Got them and I love 'em. Especially as they work so well with the Candy white. :):).
You asked for a picture or two...please see attached.
The lower colour is from original VW type 1 split screen. The rear door VW roundel is colour matched. Awning cover in Candy white to coordinate.:thumb

View attachment 37297

View attachment 37298

We are doing our European tour from 6th to 25th September...and I have a question..

Having read your post (and a few others) we have incorporated some of your great ideas. Our route will be:
First night west of Aachen (site - gastmolen.nl)
Then pick up the Romantic Rhine route (overnight near Mainz)
On to Rothenburg for a couple of days ( camping-tauberromantik.de)
Next, thanks for the recommendation to Zugspitz-resort.at for 3 days visiting Fussen, Garmisch, The Neuschwanstein, Lauterbrunnen and the Ehrwald/Lermoos/Bibier trio etc
Here comes my question...whilst the Zugspitz resort is only just over the border from Germany into Austria and from there we will then be travelling across to Konstanz to visit friends who live there, will we need an Austrian vignette do you think to just do the Zugspitz resort?...it's the only bit of Austria we are visiting.

In case you are interested our itinerary continues ..

Konstanz for 2 days(fliesshorn.de. site)
Grindewald for a couple of days (eigernordwand.ch site)...Yes we will need a vignette for Switzerland
Frieburg (Kirnemartes.de site)
Up to Vaals (gastmol;en.nl site again)
Brugges foe a couple of days (Camping Memling)

Any more good suggestions of places/things on our route?

Hope to hear from you soon:thanks
Hi, I have been reading your post with interest. did you make it to Grindelwald last year? Which site did you camp at? We do not use levelling blocks and we are curious if there are any relatively level pitches to camp in either of the Grindelwald campsites. I know that Mannlichen Bahn is closed and I suspect that Grund will be a building site which is close to the Eigernordwang site.
I'd be very grateful for any current information!