Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First French trip - tips?

pchmlk

pchmlk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning

We’re still fairly new to this, have been away a lot since we’ve got the van but this will be our longest trip and first away from UK.

We’re away for 10 days in October, first half in Bordeaux then the second down in Hossegor.

just trying to think of necessary items for France that might not be obvious.

The van has a crit air sticker already, I’ve got an emovis tag and a mifi with big data sim for France. Do I need an adapter for the EHU cable? Any suggestions for non-UK travel bits and pieces much appreciated.

Do you know about french rules regarding breathalysers? Warning triangleS, and hi Vis vests?

The adaptor the van came with (schuko to blue 16 amp) should be all you need

Cheers. I’ve driven loads in France, more concerned with cali/camping specifics.

You could try the "Camperstop" app, 7euros per year, lots of useful stops, service points, easily accessible on your phone

Morning

We’re still fairly new to this, have been away a lot since we’ve got the van but this will be our longest trip and first away from UK.

We’re away for 10 days in October, first half in Bordeaux then the second down in Hossegor.

The van has a crit air sticker already, I’ve got an emovis tag and a mifi with big data sim for France. Do I need an adapter for the EHU cable? Any suggestions for non-UK travel bits and pieces much appreciated.

I visit France almost every year and besides an adapter to make sure you can put your van on hookup, and required saftery-items in your vehicle I honestly can't think of a single thing you'd need in France that you don't need in the UK.

I visit France almost every year and besides an adapter to make sure you can put your van on hookup, and required saftery-items in your vehicle I honestly can't think of a single thing you'd need in France that you don't need in the UK.
Great, thanks Thomas that’s reassuring. I’m overthinking things.

Morning

Must see is the great dunes du Pilat

More of a general driving tip, brush up on a few French driving rules, specifically speed limits (typical defaults), how they change in different weather conditions (they reduce in rain and reduce again in fog) and "priorité à droite" (basically warning you to give way to the right in some specific locations, it feels really counter-intuitive given you're driving on the right! Only tend to get it in small villages/backroads). Speed cameras look very different to UK ones and aren't always obvious; just stick to the speed limits (see the bit above about brushing up on the limits!).

My experience earlier this year of driving 2000 miles around France (first time properly driving in France) is the French are generally better drivers than in the UK (not hard I guess), they are pretty obedient of the rules of the road and will expect you to be too. I enjoyed driving in France far more than most parts of the UK.

Morning

If you haven’t already booked & paid, then I would recommend ACSI camping card for discounted off-season sites. The discount is worthwhile and the app is really good for tailoring your search to your specific needs.

Euro coin for supermarket trolley,
20c, 50c, 1€ for toilet entry (most machines then give you a voucher to recoup some of the cost on something you didn't want anyway)
National speed limit is now 80kmh except where it isn't and the local mayor has put 2 fingers up.
You no longer need yellow headlamp bulbs, oh those were the days ....

If you haven’t already booked & paid, then I would recommend ACSI camping card for discounted off-season sites. The discount is worthwhile and the app is really good for tailoring your search to your specific needs.

I read about this ACSI somewhere else on here POI's) I think - I did wonder what it was... so thank you for the link.