Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Impressions

philrich99

philrich99

We’re now into our 3rd month of ownership and have clocked up over 3000 miles mainly due to our grand tour of Scotland which took about 3 weeks altogether. The California was certainly put through its paces and performed very well. The first night in Scotland was a bit scary though on the shores of Loch Lomond. We had to get up in the middle of the night to take down the drive-away awning which had partly collapsed in the driving wind and rain. We were a bit worried about the roof as well, but thought it might do more damage to lower it in such conditions. We had a Cali topper on which I think protected it from the worst of it.

We even met another member of the forum in an almost identical California on the ferry to Lewis (hi Jim!), we got parked up right behind it, so bit of a surprise for him too.
The only concern we have at the moment is how much longer the dial on the control panel is going to last. I see from other comments on the forum that they are liable to give up the ghost fairly frequently. I think we’ll need to get it sorted before our next big trip down to Greece.

We bought the van through Drive the Deal and collected it in early March. All seemed to be well until we discovered on the drive home that we didn’t have a reversing camera or sensors. We thought they were included in the “Travel Pack” which was part of the list of options we had included in the DtD order on the website. It turns out that the travel pack described in the July 2013 brochure and as used by DtD wasn’t correct and should be as described in the Jan 2014 brochure. We ordered the van in October & neither DtD nor the dealer told us of the brochure error, so we don’t know how we could have been expected to be aware of this. We ended up having to pay a local company £350 to fit a camera, which we are very happy with. We haven’t bothered with the sensors.
We had included a flashlight in the spec, which wasn’t in the van when we picked it up. The dealer, after saying that it probably been stolen at the docks, promised to order one but after a couple of reminders we finally received a Ring Cyba-lite Lightstar 275 (£30 on Amazon) in the post today, which seems to be a decent torch, but is it the one VW supply? For £60 we were expecting something a bit more integral to the van, & this one isn’t even magnetic. The internal windscreen blackout blind wasn’t included either; although the 2 side window screens were (we spent the first night away with a blanket as a makeshift screen!). The dealer insists it was there, so it looks like we’ll have to go direct to VW to try to get one.

Overall though, we’re chuffed to bits with Stan the Van and can’t wait for our next trip.

Phil & Myra :thumb

Well VW sell that torch, but for 40 quid:

51 RING – Cyba-lite Lightstar 275 Torch ZGB7H0035006 33.33 6.67 40.00

It appears in this brochure: https://volkswagenstore.co.uk/pdfs/VW_A ... PL_RGB.pdf

I don't have the Cali option torch so I can't confirm if it is that one.

Sounds like you have had a bit of a nightmare.

I can understand some confusion with options when you buy via an agent such as DtD, especially with the complexity of the VW Cali Brochure. On the plus side DtD do get a very good deal :)

However things like the blind - are just a cockup from the dealer, as they all have that.

Glad you are enjoying the van despite all the snags

T

Hi

I'm almost certain the flashlight/torch is a footwell light at the rear of the base of the drivers seat.

When "docked" it is a floor-level light, with an On/Off switch. If you pull it out, it is an LED torch with On/High/Low/Off settings.

Our van came with the torch option and has the above. I had a look around the dealership recently (as the original torch was broken) and have also seen vans without it, so assume they did not have the option.

There is nothing in the literature (or online to support this), but that is my assumption.

Does that help?

Mark

Hi Mark

You're right. We've got the flashlight after all. I did notice the little light behind the driver's seat but didn't realise it was detachable. I assumed it would be more like the one the dealer sent us. Still, that's solved now although I can't see that it's worth £60. We certainly wouldn't have specified it had we known.

Thanks for your help.

Phil