Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying our first Cali

P

Pete Toogood

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, I'm Pete and my wife is Jen and we are just about to embark on our first Cali. We have had a motorhome some years ago , a 6m coach built Hobby, which was great but a bit clumsy. A recent cycling holiday in the Western Isles in what turned out to be very stormy weather, brought home to us the limitations of a tent ! A tent on wheels seemed the answer, hence the Cali. Decided to blow the pensions on a T6 with cruise, awning, sensors and camera and privacy glass,Have we missed anything vital ? Looking at the colour panels at the dealers Mohave beige seemed interesting, particularly how it seems to change shade in different light. However, looking through many threads on colour nobody seems to mention it, would we be making a dreadful mistake ! We have yet to see a van in this colour in the flesh though it is a feature of VW adverts.

Welcome. I've seen one in the flesh and they look good. However not gone for it myself. I reckon they should have called it anything but beige. Colour is the one thing it is difficult to advise others on. First thing though that needs a decision so you can decide on wheels awning etc.
As for anything else I would consider the DSG an essential and then there are the toys satnav or app connect etc but these again come down to personal choice. Have a good read of threads and you will find plenty of opinion. Any questions just ask.
You mentioned a cycling holiday so you will need to make a decision on the tailgate bike rack or tow bar one.

Mike

Welcome - We have the Mojave Beige and love it. Had it since March and no regrets - also hides the dirt really well! What ever you decide (including other options) you'll go through a roller coaster ride of months of planning before the order is placed and then months of 'have we made the right decision/should we change?' Think most of us on the Forum will have gone through this journey!

The only thing that's certain is that whatever you choose, it'll put a smile on your face come delivery day!
:)

If you fancy a towbar mounted bike rack then at least order the towbar prep option as it may save you some pain in the long run.
I love the M Beige but was overruled by a higher authority so Indium Grey it is!

Welcome. I've seen one in the flesh and they look good. However not gone for it myself. I reckon they should have called it anything but beige. Colour is the one thing it is difficult to advise others on. First thing though that needs a decision so you can decide on wheels awning etc.
As for anything else I would consider the DSG an essential and then there are the toys satnav or app connect etc but these again come down to personal choice. Have a good read of threads and you will find plenty of opinion. Any questions just ask.
You mentioned a cycling holiday so you will need to make a decision on the tailgate bike rack or tow bar one.

Mike
Thank you for your reply Mike,( what an amazing club this is !) I have driven both the 150 and 204, both with DSG. If we could afford the 204 with DSG that would be favourite, effortless drive. I found the 150 DSG a bit sluggish and hesitant by comparison so am hoping the manual will feel a bit better.
Regarding the rack, I think tailgate is favourite for us but lots of adverse comments on Forum plus we don't need to carry 4 bikes . Thought we might wait a bit and see if Fiamma or someone produces something more suitable. Any suggestions for stockists of a range of racks , only seem to have local Halfords here in Shropshire and the range and quality of advice somewhat limited ! Cheers Pete

Hi all, I'm Pete and my wife is Jen and we are just about to embark on our first Cali. We have had a motorhome some years ago , a 6m coach built Hobby, which was great but a bit clumsy. A recent cycling holiday in the Western Isles in what turned out to be very stormy weather, brought home to us the limitations of a tent ! A tent on wheels seemed the answer, hence the Cali. Decided to blow the pensions on a T6 with cruise, awning, sensors and camera and privacy glass,Have we missed anything vital ? Looking at the colour panels at the dealers Mohave beige seemed interesting, particularly how it seems to change shade in different light. However, looking through many threads on colour nobody seems to mention it, would we be making a dreadful mistake ! We have yet to see a van in this colour in the flesh though it is a feature of VW adverts.

Morning Pete
We found the colour the most difficult decision when we ordered.
Husband wanted the yellow but not available in the ocean.
We choose mojave beige then changed our order to indium grey once we saw it in the flesh. Husband still liked the colour but not with the light interior.

Agree DSG & factory fitted tow bar is worth considering. We have ACC ,husband very keen on this.
Beware of comfort seats( non swivelling seats).
Mandy

Thank you for your reply Mike,( what an amazing club this is !) I have driven both the 150 and 204, both with DSG. If we could afford the 204 with DSG that would be favourite, effortless drive. I found the 150 DSG a bit sluggish and hesitant by comparison so am hoping the manual will feel a bit better.
Regarding the rack, I think tailgate is favourite for us but lots of adverse comments on Forum plus we don't need to carry 4 bikes . Thought we might wait a bit and see if Fiamma or someone produces something more suitable. Any suggestions for stockists of a range of racks , only seem to have local Halfords here in Shropshire and the range and quality of advice somewhat limited ! Cheers Pete
All I can say is the choice is very dependant on how it is to be used. As an example I have swayed between the two methods and in the end have gone down the removable towbar option to future proof the van and give me that option. As per Snowy55 a more costly thing to do later. I will still then have the option to go for a tailgate rack. I was put off the tailgate rack by the style of the VW one but that has now been answered as per thread you have no doubt seen. I reckon by the time you get yours Flamma and others will have T6 options available as it only requires a few tweaks to T5 options. I am most likely going to go for a Atera Strada DL towbar rack. But then again I may change my mind and go for the VW old design tailgate rack. See what I mean

Welcome - We have the Mojave Beige and love it. Had it since March and no regrets - also hides the dirt really well! What ever you decide (including other options) you'll go through a roller coaster ride of months of planning before the order is placed and then months of 'have we made the right decision/should we change?' Think most of us on the Forum will have gone through this journey!

The only thing that's certain is that whatever you choose, it'll put a smile on your face come delivery day!
:)

Yes, I can this is going to be an interesting period ! Actually as a general query , the options list confused me a bit on glass options. What is the difference between 'Heat insulating tinted glass' and 'privacy glass', which are listed separately ? Also, has anyone tried the 'stiffer antiroll bars' listed as an option. I was wondering if they would help limit the body sway a bit. Many thanks for your time in replying folks, there is a minefield of options and I appreciate your help and sympathy ! It is an exciting time though. Cheers Pete

Hi and welcome ,
downsizeing is not always a bad thing ending up with a Cali....:thumb
As for two person use it's a great verhicle , counting in some of the missing things compared a bigger RV , but a Cali got many other advantages.
Way to go!

Yes, I can this is going to be an interesting period ! Actually as a general query , the options list confused me a bit on glass options. What is the difference between 'Heat insulating tinted glass' and 'privacy glass', which are listed separately ? Also, has anyone tried the 'stiffer antiroll bars' listed as an option. I was wondering if they would help limit the body sway a bit. Many thanks for your time in replying folks, there is a minefield of options and I appreciate your help and sympathy ! It is an exciting time though. Cheers Pete
Have a look at this thread:-

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/laminated-glass-package-in-cab.13264/

In that thread post 13 you will find link to a PDF which gives exact specifications of glass. It's complicated but I've gone for the laminated glass but most go for the privacy glass.

I have gone for the anti roll bars.

Have a look at this thread:-

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/laminated-glass-package-in-cab.13264/

In that thread post 13 you will find link to a PDF which gives exact specifications of glass. It's complicated but I've gone for the laminated glass but most go for the privacy glass.

I have gone for the anti roll bars.

Thank you all for your help and considered opinions. I think we are fairly settled now on Mojave Beige with silver awning, sensors and camera, tow bar prep, anti roll bars and privacy glass. Hopefully order next week ! then the waiting begins!

only my opinion but think the black awning looks better ... blends in with the privacy glass and doesn't look so obvious ... and it's cheaper ;) spend the change on the bigger screen for the reversing camera ... opinions will def do yar head in ! good luck x

only my opinion but think the black awning looks better ... blends in with the privacy glass and doesn't look so obvious ... and it's cheaper ;) spend the change on the bigger screen for the reversing camera ... opinions will def do yar head in ! good luck x
We went for the Mojave Beige mainly because it is a 'stay clean' colour which it is proving to be and it looks really good! The black awning works well with the privacy glass. I went for the standard front and rear sensors which, when used in conjunction with the screen display is excellent.
The 204 engine coupled to DSG box is an effortless pleasurable drive. VW have taken all the 'van' out of the vehicle and it drives and feels like a high spec car.

Fully agree on the 204 with a DSG box it is excellent to drive. I also went for the updated anti roll bars and the van is really planted in corners. I went from a Audi Q7 to the Cali and can say there is virtually no difference in the driving experience. Good luck with the van and myriad of choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Mojave beige 204 DSG 4 motion on its 1st week birthday. Black awning definitely better than silver

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Our Mojave beige 204 DSG 4 motion on its 1st birthday. Black awning definitely better than silver

View attachment 13766
Sadly Speleo62 I did not see your excellent photo in time so have today , ordered our Cali with silver awning. I did a Google search for images of Mojave beige cali's and the overwhelming majority have silver awnings. It is not a deal breaker for us and we are happy with our choice. I think your image does show the colour well though. We live in Shropshire and from what we could find out, the nearest available Cali in this colour for us to see was in Swindon ! Thus we bought blind , however, your photo confirms our choice , it looks great !
In the end , after the options agonising was over we went for 150 manual, cruise, uprated anti roll bars, privacy glass, mud flaps, parking sensors with camera, 6.33 screen and detachable tow bar. Very happy that phase of the operation is over ! Thank you all for your very helpful opinions and suggestions - but, no more !!!. This really is a remarkable club and we look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Sadly Speleo62 I did not see your excellent photo in time so have today , ordered our Cali with silver awning. I did a Google search for images of Mojave beige cali's and the overwhelming majority have silver awnings. It is not a deal breaker for us and we are happy with our choice. I think your image does show the colour well though. We live in Shropshire and from what we could find out, the nearest available Cali in this colour for us to see was in Swindon ! Thus we bought blind , however, your photo confirms our choice , it looks great !
In the end , after the options agonising was over we went for 150 manual, cruise, uprated anti roll bars, privacy glass, mud flaps, parking sensors with camera, 6.33 screen and detachable tow bar. Very happy that phase of the operation is over ! Thank you all for your very helpful opinions and suggestions - but, no more !!!. This really is a remarkable club and we look forward to meeting some of you in the future.
150 manual is a great choice, but you should be able to amend the awning colour tomorrow if you wish. I think someone posted earlier there is a delay on the silver ones so black may be a more time efficient option.