Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Service at 2 years T6.1 2022 what to expect

Campervanpup21

Campervanpup21

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So the 2022 150ps Cali is due for its first service at 2 years.
Oil light came on at 12 months but conflicting information resulted in VW customer care saying oil service no longer required at 12 months just have the dealer reset the warning.
So now we are in the 2nd year, oil & inspection service due (included in service plan).
However, being told that brake fluid service is due and air conditioning service due at 2 years too.
Anyone had any experience on what is actually due at 2 years on a T6.1.
Mileage is 7500 approx and luckily no issues!
Thanks in advance

edit, I assume it was your service light not the oil light ?

Brake fluid can be tested and makes no environmental sense to bin perfectly good fluid at a cost of £100 when an indie will test the fluid and if it needs changing charge you £20
remember brakes are a consumable item not covered by warranty, so go to your trusted indie

A/ C service!
if it needs a regass its faulty
, if it needs a clean after two years !

Use it if it’s cold /hot crack on , if not have it fixed under warranty. Pure money making scheme for the garage.

edit; the cabin filter, paper air filter (passenger side slotted in to dash above the footwell) is changed at a major service the a/c is a sealed gas system.

first service is an oil change and an opportunity for the dealer to relive you of some of your excess money.
have the mandatory service carried out And enjoy your van

Seems to be a VW 2 year brake fluid change.
eg We have a Citroen plus the VW from the same dealer company who share the premises.
Citroen 4 years. VW 2 years. for brake fluid changes.

I have a brake fluid tester and check our vehicles brake moisture content annually.

Cali pre fluid check showed no moisture content - same reading after fluid change.

Tester mainly for my old car which does show fluid moisture requiring a fluid change after 4>5 years.

ABS units are prone to moisture damage so frequent fluid changes would prevent this. Up to the Owner.

Brake fluid used to be 3 years from new and then 4 years interval.

Aircon just needs a clean, basically they just blow a can of chemical through the airvents to kill bacteria. Probably only required if you dont run your aurvon everyday.

(...Maybe VW are making up for losses from later cambelt change!)

Brake fluid used to be 3 years from new and then 4 years interval.

Aircon just needs a clean, basically they just blow a can of chemical through the airvents to kill bacteria. Probably only required if you dont run your aurvon everyday.

(...Maybe VW are making up for losses from later cambelt change!)
I had a service in February and going back in for oil seal after 3 weeks and had the same questions asked relating to Brake Fluid, Air Con etc. These were all done last year!

Only thing I would question on the brake fluid service is this :

Is it a specified requirement in the service schedule regime or just a recommendation?

If the former, then I would be very wary of not getting it done. If anything were to go wrong with the ABS system (usually expensive to fix) as mentioned above by BJG , then the lack of a required brake fluid change could give VW wriggle room to not honour the warranty.

I can't get to my user handbook today to see if there is a detailed breakdown of the service schedule.

The 2 year searvice is just an oil service. In fact all the service plan services are just oil change ones.

Anything else is extra.

The brake fluid and aircon silliness is just a upsell. Ignore it.

Last edited:
The title ask what to expect? in. 10years of Vw california servicing I've had the following:

1. Greasy fingerprints on just about every light coloured internal surface
2. Greasy footprints everywhere
3. something slippery liberally applied to the pedals &to rubber floor mats
4. Scratches to paintwork (through to the primer) when washed
5. Whilst you wait services taking about 4 hours longer than expected
6. It needs xxx doing but we don't stock the parts, you will need to book it in again.
7. Oil filter incorrectly fitted - still have the stain on the drive at home!
8. Service indicator not reset

Set your expectations along those lines & you won't be disapointed.

Seems VW/Audi have a 2 year brake fluid recommendation.

I had it done as per VW requirement. See video below for VW promo.

Brake fluid can be tested and makes no environmental sense to bin perfectly good fluid at a cost of £100 when an indie will test the fluid and if it needs changing charge you £20
remember brakes are a consumable item not covered by warranty, so go to your trusted indie

A/ C service!

Use it if it’s cold /hot crack on , if not have it fixed under warranty. Pure money making scheme for the garage.

edit; the cabin filter, paper air filter (passenger side slotted in to dash above the footwell) is changed at a major service the a/c is a sealed gas system.

first service is an oil change and an opportunity for the dealer to relive you of some of your excess money.
Yes oil service light sorry!

A/ C service!

We missed the first service (oil change) as vw customer care said no oil change needed until 2 years - so it’s now the Calis ‘first’ service in its second year of oil change and inspection.

Only thing I would question on the brake fluid service is this :

Is it a specified requirement in the service schedule regime or just a recommendation?

If the former, then I would be very wary of not getting it done. If anything were to go wrong with the ABS system (usually expensive to fix) as mentioned above by BJG , then the lack of a required brake fluid change could give VW wriggle room to not honour the warranty.

I can't get to my user handbook today to see if there is a detailed breakdown of the service schedule.
Thank you for this. If a specified requirement then happy to have both done but don’t have a hard copy of service handbook & looked online re Brake fluid service and appeared to be 3 years.

Just wondered if other owners coming across same information from dealers.

I’m old school - liked my service handbook & dealer stamps

The title ask what to expect? in. 10years of Vw california servicing I've had the following:

1. Greasy fingerprints on just about every light coloured internal surface
2. Greasy footprints everywhere
3. something slippery liberally applied to the pedals &to rubber floor mats
4. Scratches to paintwork (through to the primer) when washed
5. Whilst you wait services taking about 4 hours longer than expected
6. It needs xxx doing but we don't stock the parts, you will need to book it in again.
7. Oil filter incorrectly fitted - still have the stain on the drive at home!
8. Service indicator not reset

Set your expectations along those lines & you won't be disapointed.
I’ve already had the greasy fingerprints on the roof lining after a bed hinge repair and then the backseat. No more issues please

Seems VW/Audi have a 2 year brake fluid recommendation.

I had it done as per VW requirement. See video below for VW promo.

A great scare-o-video from VW. Lots of may and could.

Our Cali doesn’t need doing yet but tbh our Tiguan probably does after 4 years even though they are actually fine. If we do I’ll get done elsewhere at half the price of VW. From memory they were asking about 150-200 quid. Halfords is 1/4 that and while people are sniffy about them never had an issue and as an ex-mechanic I double check everything.

Anyone worried about brakes should try driving my Land Rover Series 2 with drums all round and no assistance!

Our California ocean just had its first service it’s just over a year old 3950 miles we have a 5 year service plan when I booked it in for a service and a small warenty job I was told they don’t do a service but showing them the service plan contract it clearly stated a 1 year interim service which they carried out, the paper work shows a new oil filter a flush and new oil

Oil light came on at 12 months but conflicting information resulted in VW customer care saying oil service no longer required at 12 months just have the dealer reset the warning.
So now we are in the 2nd year, oil & inspection service due (included in service plan).
However, being told that brake fluid service is due and air conditioning service due at 2 years too.
Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance
Celia has just had her second year service having double your mileage however there was no mention of AC and BF service due

Back