Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 first service?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
This is our first California, been told the first service is 2 years or certain mileage (can’t remember the distance) been told the T6.1 computer will inform when service required. Just thought there would have been an oil service at 12 months?

Depends how the service schedule is set. Time/distance will be 1 yr or 12000 miles; Flexible service uses a sensor that monitors the oil quality and will usually give an interval of around 18k miles depending on use or 2 yrs as a back stop. Normally set to flexible service as a default but you can tell which is set in your van by looking at the service area in the settings menu; if its 12mths from purchase then it’s time/distance, anything longer is flexible. Personally I go for time/distance for the first service cause I think 12k/mths is plenty when the engine‘s bedding in and then move on to the flexible service regime; dealer can set either post service, just make sure you tell them what you want set. Either way, van will tell you when its due depending on what’s been set.

Is always your decision, but I'd strongly recommend that you apply a 12 month service schedule whilst the van is under VW warranty. It is so much easier to report issues and get them fixed whilst the van is with a vw van centre.

If anything has broken, become loose make sure that you report it when you take your van in for servicing. And always suggest that this should be fixed under warranty.

This is also the time when you discover whether your chosen vw van centre is working for you. If not, then find another....using feedback and recommendations on here

Thanks don’t know what our service schedule is set for, nothing mentioned when we picked it up, over 12 months now, have first 3x services free, mileage is just over 7,151 now so fairly low!

This is our first California, been told the first service is 2 years or certain mileage (can’t remember the distance) been told the T6.1 computer will inform when service required. Just thought there would have been an oil service at 12 months?
We took delivery of our van in November 2020 and had an oil service a couple of weeks ago at just short of 7,500 miles. Service indicator in the van showed it as due and received a proactive call from Citygate to book it in. (They have remote visibility).

Is always your decision, but I'd strongly recommend that you apply a 12 month service schedule whilst the van is under VW warranty. It is so much easier to report issues and get them fixed whilst the van is with a vw van centre.

If anything has broken, become loose make sure that you report it when you take your van in for servicing. And always suggest that this should be fixed under warranty.

This is also the time when you discover whether your chosen vw van centre is working for you. If not, then find another....using feedback and recommendations on here
Could we have late 12 month service (time/distance) then switch to flexible - what is the standard warranty on the California 2yrs, we have the free services and extended warranty - 5yrs?

Could we have late 12 month service (time/distance) then switch to flexible - what is the standard warranty on the California 2yrs, we have the free services and extended warranty - 5yrs?
Of course you can. Sounds like it‘s set to flexible anyway but book it in for first service and tell them to make sure it’s set to flexible on completion; it‘s just a software setting done through a computer.
Standard warranty is 3 yrs in UK.

My van got to 9400 miles after 6 months and the service light was on. Got in touch with VW who said 'that's not right' and told me to take it to a dealer who could reset it to 'flexible' service.

The dealer said 'we can't' and suggested I just suck it up and get the first service. Then they would set it to flexible servicing.

Just picked it up from the service and the settings say 'next oil service in 9400 miles'. A mechanic spend ages with a laptop plugged and tried to set it to flexible servicing, but the console display didn't budge.

I'm hoping the service department will follow up on this, but I'm a bit annoyed as I suspect they could have reset it to 'flexible' service in the first place. Ho hum. Main dealer fun.

Anyone else had this problem with a T6.1?

Back