Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First time doing this!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
after a run out on salty frosty roads today the Cali was unbelievably filthy so I decided to wash it myself - the first time in 3 years as normally I use the tribe of cheap Poles up the road...
an hour later...I shan't be doing that again...saving a measly £7 on a hand wash and dry by 6 guys and 15 minutes sitting listening to music in warmth, it's mad to waste my time and get soaked!
God knows how long it would take to polish the thing....

:headbang
Shame on you....
Nothing better than cleaning a car yourself , it's the best way of checking out where scrathes , bumps are , if the tyre and rims are not damaged ,....
Rust , corrosion , wipers ,...
When cleaning a car you are with your noose on the facts...
In wintertimes those "handwash by a group Pakistanies" can be handy , but better is do it yourself:thumb

yes I know....but I do check her all over regularly and I do keep an eye on what the Poles are actually doing (and make sure they clean areas like the recess mouldings in roof where muck gathers)...I'm just a lazy boy...
and those blimmin ally wheels are a nightmare....I have friends who clean and polish their wheels every week...:eek:
am waiting for a visit from the washing police now....

Mine is filthy... about a foot of salt plastered all over it after 600 miles of motorway.

I'm wishing I had brought the butler along :(

I like to give mine a good clean every other week. Then in March and September I do a full clean, clay the paint, Polish , wax. Buff to a high shine. This is very relaxing but the last time I did it it took 2 days. I don't tend to trust any one to clean as well as me.

I even cleaned it after I collected as I felt the pdi had not cleaned it well enough.

I don't mind washing the car/ Cali or whatever myself. I'd rather that than sit in the queue at the local hand wash (and, by the time you get home it's dirty again!)

At this time of year most of the salt comes off with the jet wash, then I just go round with a soft brush (available at the caravan shows) on a telescopic pole doing the large panels; and a sponge doing the more intricate areas; mostly just with plain water. Less than 15 minutes work.

I find the Cali very easy to clean with the large flat panels, it takes longer to clean my motorbike.

Occasionally after I've washed it I'll go round with a wet sponge with "Mer" (thoroughly recommended) on it, then rinse again and dry off. This keeps a water repellant finish and makes it easier to clean. :happy

I like to give mine a good clean every other week. Then in March and September I do a full clean, clay the paint, Polish , wax. Buff to a high shine. This is very relaxing but the last time I did it it took 2 days. I don't tend to trust any one to clean as well as me.

I even cleaned it after I collected as I felt the pdi had not cleaned it well enough.

Have not yet tried the clay on my van but have given it two full coats autoglym, what a difference that makes to the paint finish, and makes the van so much easier to clean. After this winter my van is due another coat of polish, takes about 3 - 4 hours of elbow work.

While we are on the subject of cleaning does anyone have good tips for removing those annoying tar spots?

While we are on the subject of cleaning does anyone have good tips for removing those annoying tar spots?
Kerosene or petrol. But both will take any polish off.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Last edited:
Hammer and chisel for tar spots. I used to use a blowtorch but it left marks.
Alan

They only stick to white vans :D

Using a clay bar is good on the tar spots as well, and the dead flys on the bonnet. With the clay. Try it on the bonnet first see how well it cleans and how much much it pulls out of what you think is a clean bonnet.

If a Baby Wipe works on that, what does it do to the Baby?:shocked

Using a clay bar is good on the tar spots as well, and the dead flys on the bonnet. With the clay. Try it on the bonnet first see how well it cleans and how much much it pulls out of what you think is a clean bonnet.

I 'clayed' our Cali when it was brand new and then applied good quality protective treatments before we'd started using it. You'd be amazed that even a brand new vehicle still has paintwork contamination you can't see that the clay bar removes.

I like the smooth ness of the paint work once it has been clayed, previous car was a focus St so I got into detailing it before meets and it made so much difference to the car.

Hello

After reading this post called in at our local Halfords to check out the Mer range (which I use) but could not find any 'Clay' bars.

What actually is it and how often do you need to use it.

How do you apply it.

Thanks Steve

It's hugely satisfying once the Cali is clean, clayed and polished. The clay process leaves the whole car feel glossy smooth (like glass). The Meguires clay bar is the one I normally use. Beware though, once it's been clayed it needs to have a protective wax applied to protect the paintwork. Usually best to tackle one panel at time with clay bar then wax treatment.

I find a lot of really useful detailing info (and products) here, but beware it's addictive!!!

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/decontaminating-paint.html

Not my first time but doesn't my Hotel California looks nice and shiny , cleaned on this beautyful sundayafhternoon.....:bananadance
image.jpg
Now i'm gonna close the roof and tuck it nice in the garage , vaccuming and pampering it .....maybey give it a waxing later this week.

As said above , gave the Cali a wax today , took me three hours...
One can brush his hair in it....but not me doh...:D
image.jpg