Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to France with seven month old puppy

The very fact you have to ask the question about leaving an animal in a vehicle or unattended outside a shop suggested to me you have no business looking after one.
I’ve traveled many times with my dog, at no point have I ever considered leaving him in a vehicle and or unattended.
Etiquette would be something along the lines of ‘you really shouldn’t do either. When I travelled on my own with my dog I didn’t eat for fourteen days’ or ‘I found smaller shops in France welcomed dogs’. Your comment was rude.
I have never left him on his own outside a shop or in a car. I have seen dogs outside shops in the U.K but wouldn’t do that. I wondered if it was a British hobby stealing dogs and maybe that doesn’t happen in France…. I have no idea, hence asking for advice.
A friend told me that she had to leave her dog in the car for twenty minutes when travelling through France but she put the windows down - obviously this was not in the heat. We aren’t stupid people.
So my question was really - what do people do in emergencies when they are on their own?
I doubt you have ever been in a situation whereby you were travelling on your own with a dog and needed the toilet or food. A man can pee on the roadside….
Please don’t tell me what business I have looking after a dog.

I don’t mean running wild rabid. In France there are alot of dogs used say as a guard dog at the family home who go with the family to their holiday home, so they are very protective , especially if your dog gets between them and their family. A puppy assumes all other dogs are friendly.
Ah I see. I think on camp sites you have to have your dog on leads anyway. I wouldn’t let him off the lead away from home - I’d worry too much. I’ve had incidents here where people have said “my dog only went for yours because he’s still got his ‘balls’”!!. Making excuses for bad behaviour - my breeders words! You are right about puppies - they do assume other dogs are friendly. Unless they have a bad incident.

How will he (the dog!) travel in the van?
We had a fabric foldable (and cleanable!) crate to contain any doggie discharge while they got used to the car.
Our dog now travels harnessed on the floor behind the driver/passenger seat.
Might be worth looking at some 'cooling' solutions for him also, things like cooling mats or coats. We've seen alot of golden retrievers in France, but if he's not used to the heat might be worth considering?

Last edited:
Do you have a dog and if yes would you not take your dog on holiday with you?

Yes, a black Labrador. Take her everywhere in the Cali in the UK. Last trip to France we left her with some very good friends to look after who she loves. Thank goodness we did because it was too hot for us, she’d have been very uncomfortable.

@AMH70 Crikey, I thought you’re questions were perfectly valid :) We don’t have a dog and I admire your commitment. As for the stress about taking your mum I would have thought YOU would find that MORE stressful!:D (I know I would!)

Personally? If I had a young dog I would leave it behind (in a good kennel of course:)) so that I could more thoroughly enjoy the trip, however, if taking the dog will bring you more joy then just do it :thumb

Whatever choice you make ……. Enjoy :):thumb

I too have a Golden and these days usually do trips on my own with him. It's a problem for shopping etc, and as for museums etc - forget it. The only way to make the trips enjoyable for us both is (a) take as much food as possible so as to avoid shopping, although for 2 weeks that's difficult (b) choose a campsite with a shop on site and walks and a swimming lake for both dogs and humans without having to use the van. Have a loo in the car of some sort, and shower very early in the day when it's not too hot to leave him shut in. I must say that losing the spontaneity and ease of trips with two, where someone could always stay with the dog whilst the other did shopping etc has taken the edge off van trips for me.

My suggestion would be to do this trip in the spring or autumn when the weather is less of a problem.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have a seven month old golden retriever and have just booked his first trip abroad - Eurotunnel to France in August. I would be grateful for any useful advise for his first trip, please. So far he has been okay in the camper (max two nights) although he doesn’t particularly like the travelling part (sickness and poo for the first two months ) - he is getting better. I was thinking of driving no longer than 2.5 hours at a time…
Does anyone know of a vet near Calais for the return visit, worming treatment?
Should I leave him in van (windows slightly open) or outside supermarkets when I have to pop in for provisions?
Can anyone recommend a site that is suitable for both dogs and seven year old?
Was thinking maybe driving to Lake Como but only have two weeks and not sure if that’s too far for him.
Any advise is much appreciated!
* edit he will be ten months and I’m not suggesting leaving him in a boiling hot van for an hour.

Anti chew spray on the handbrake lever.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
I too have a Golden and these days usually do trips on my own with him. It's a problem for shopping etc, and as for museums etc - forget it. The only way to make the trips enjoyable for us both is (a) take as much food as possible so as to avoid shopping, although for 2 weeks that's difficult (b) choose a campsite with a shop on site and walks and a swimming lake for both dogs and humans without having to use the van. Have a loo in the car of some sort, and shower very early in the day when it's not too hot to leave him shut in. I must say that losing the spontaneity and ease of trips with two, where someone could always stay with the dog whilst the other did shopping etc has taken the edge off van trips for me.

My suggestion would be to do this trip in the spring or autumn when the weather is less of a problem.
Thank you. That’s great advice. I’m currently looking into kennels - whilst he’s so young I think it may be better.

Yes, a black Labrador. Take her everywhere in the Cali in the UK. Last trip to France we left her with some very good friends to look after who she loves. Thank goodness we did because it was too hot for us, she’d have been very uncomfortable.
It is quicker for me to get to France than Cornwall - roads so much better. If I stayed northern France the weather would be the same. I’m now looking into kennels . I didn’t want to put him in but it may be better whilst he’s so young.

I stopped reading at “I’ll leave the dog in the van”! Speechless.

Why!?

We do so regularly. Sometimes for prolonged periods.

On busy campsites, roof up, vents open, sliding windows open, cool air comes in downstairs, warm air rises and leaves by the vents, dogs doze on the floor while humans cool off in the swimming pool.

Supermarket car parks, find a shady spot, leave windows slightly open, leave a bowl of water out and dogs will be fine while you do a bit of shopping.

Be sensible, use common sense, and dogs are fine in campervans. Ours spent a year travelling with us, including a 7 month old puppy.

@AMH70 Crikey, I thought you’re questions were perfectly valid :) We don’t have a dog and I admire your commitment. As for the stress about taking your mum I would have thought YOU would find that MORE stressful!:D (I know I would!)

Personally? If I had a young dog I would leave it behind (in a good kennel of course:)) so that I could more thoroughly enjoy the trip, however, if taking the dog will bring you more joy then just do it :thumb

It does surprise me on forums how a simple question can upset people .

Thank you. It does surprise me how simple questions on forums can upset so many people . I’m looking into kennels - if I can’t get him in, he’s coming and I will find a way around it.

Supermarket car parks, find a shady spot, leave windows slightly open, leave a bowl of water out and dogs will be fine while you do a bit of shopping.
Coming back and finding someone had taken our dog would be devasting for us.

Coming back and finding someone had taken our dog would be devasting for us.

We survived a year in almost all EU countries, and several non-EU counties, without losing a dog. Though- to be fair, usually I’d sit in the car with the dog(s) while Clare shopped.

I don’t think the risk of dog theft is high, and most supermarket car parks have CCTV.

It is quicker for me to get to France than Cornwall - roads so much better. If I stayed northern France the weather would be the same. I’m now looking into kennels . I didn’t want to put him in but it may be better whilst he’s so young.

Only you know your dog. Ours loves road trips but clearly regular pit stops are required. Whenever I open the door to the van, she jumps in knowing good things will happen! It’s the heat she doesn’t like so we wouldn’t take her somewhere hot. Having a dog with you can also make it a very different trip, not better or worse, just different. We occasionally had to use a great local kennel but we were very lucky and she loved the owners who really spoilt her. Best get a pup used to it when they are young IMHO. It’s rarely a first choice but life happens sometimes when it’s unavoidable.

Why!?

We do so regularly. Sometimes for prolonged periods.

On busy campsites, roof up, vents open, sliding windows open, cool air comes in downstairs, warm air rises and leaves by the vents, dogs doze on the floor while humans cool off in the swimming pool.

Be sensible, use common sense, and dogs are fine in campervans. Ours spent a year travelling with us, including a 7 month old puppy.
People have the misconception leave a window open you can leave your dog!
Leaving the window open does not stop an intense build up of heat. Go and sit in the car yourself in 30 degree heat with the windows cranked within a few minutes you’ll be desperate to escape. Dogs die in hot cars.

Hello everyone. I have a seven month old golden retriever and have just booked his first trip abroad - Eurotunnel to France in August. I would be grateful for any useful advise for his first trip, please. So far he has been okay in the camper (max two nights) although he doesn’t particularly like the travelling part (sickness and poo for the first two months ☹️) - he is getting better. I was thinking of driving no longer than 2.5 hours at a time…
Should I leave him in van (windows slightly open) or outside supermarkets when I have to pop in for provisions?
Was thinking maybe driving to Lake Como but only have two weeks and not sure if that’s too far for him.
* edit he will be ten months and I’m not suggesting leaving him in a boiling hot van for an hour.
Been thinking about your dog being sick when travelling
Hello everyone. I have a seven month old golden retriever and have just booked his first trip abroad - Eurotunnel to France in August. I would be grateful for any useful advise for his first trip, please. So far he has been okay in the camper (max two nights) although he doesn’t particularly like the travelling part (sickness and poo for the first two months ☹️) - he is getting better. I was thinking of driving no longer than 2.5 hours at a time…
* edit he will be ten months and I’m not suggesting leaving him in a boiling hot van for
No, not my first dog but first that I’ve taken on holiday with me. He will be ten months when we go. I agree, I think it would be too warm for him in the south so will stick to the north. In France last year I saw lots of families with dogs so I don’t know where they put them when they go swimming! Should have asked them… thanks for your comments and for being polite.
I have a cousin that always travels solo from choice with her dog, she’s done this with different dogs but always older rescues not a puppy and always U.K. so slightly different to your situation. She says it is more challenging but she has always managed to do what she wants, her challenges are as you state shop/toilet but she manages.
Your puppy being ill when travelling, is he on the floor? This can with some dogs cause motion sickness, if you haven’t already try him on the seat in a harness clipped to a seat belt.
I do hope you can work around the issues and enjoy your trip in August. Please update as to how it goes, genuinely interested as to how you get on.

I'm sorry, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a picture of a seven month old puppy... I'm disappointed :sorry

Unless rules have changed, you'll have to take your pup to a vet in France between 24 and 48hrs before crossing back to the UK. Better double check, although it's been a while since I last did this (probably 11yrs). But as others have said, puppy that doesn't get along with the van, and long trip... not a good combo. My lab had trouble in the first year, but eventually grew out of it and could sleep for hours on end while traveling. I think he found the movement of the car soothing and sent him to sleep.

For shopping, as others have said, get creative. Pack as much non perishables as you can for the two weeks, and use small shops or outdoor markets for other stuff. Will take some planning to find the markets, but they are out there. Here in Switzerland I've never heard of dogs being stolen. It's common for them to be left tied up outside shops, and there's usually even special hooks to tie dogs to. If you do go to Como and go via Switzerland, that's an option, but I'd make it very quick in/out with a young pup.

Certainly don't leave the dog locked in the van, other than for a very fast nip in to the toilet.

But if you happen to find yourself near Zurich and need someone to look after your pup for half an hour while you shop, I'm available :D

I know you've already booked, but I would have simply stayed in the UK for this first year, and try again when he/she is a little older. Will be easier

People have the misconception leave a window open you can leave your dog!
Leaving the window open does not stop an intense build up of heat. Go and sit in the car yourself in 30 degree heat with the windows cranked within a few minutes you’ll be desperate to escape. Dogs die in hot cars.

You need two windows open on opposite sides to create an entry for fresh air and an exit for stale air.

I bet a quadruple amputee could correctly count on their remaining digits the number of dogs who have died within 30 minutes of being locked in a shaded car with two windows left open.

Please let’s not overstate the danger.

I regularly park up and sit in the car. In full sunshine it’s probably less than 5 minutes before I need to open a window. I have never felt the need to escape.

On a hot sunny afternoon I’m very happy dozing in Amarillo with the roof up, upper bed up, bellows unzipped and lower rear windows open. There’s ample ventilation for a dog or human for a sustained period of time.

On a hot sunny afternoon I’m very happy dozing in Amarillo with the roof up, upper bed up, bellows unzipped and lower rear windows open. There’s ample ventilation for a dog or human for a sustained period of time.

I would be quite happy in an Ocean like that, but I wouldn't dream of leaving it unattended in a supermarket carpark with windows open & roof unzipped, dog or no dog.

I would be quite happy in an Ocean like that, but I wouldn't dream of leaving it unattended in a supermarket carpark with windows open & roof unzipped, dog or no dog.

No, I wouldn’t either. I suggested a shaded part of a supermarket car park with windows partially open.

We have metal window grills that sit in the front windows.

de79c6284d73db3d7aafdb336540e204.jpg

But I think 30 minutes or so is a safe limit.

You need two windows open on opposite sides to create an entry for fresh air and an exit for stale air.

I bet a quadruple amputee could correctly count on their remaining digits the number of dogs who have died within 30 minutes of being locked in a shaded car with two windows left open.

Please let’s not overstate the danger.

I regularly park up and sit in the car. In full sunshine it’s probably less than 5 minutes before I need to open a window. I have never felt the need to escape.

I am not overstating the danger.

Direct from RSPCA website

‘Many people think it's ok to leave their dog in the car if they're parked in the shade or the windows are open. But a car can become as hot as an oven, even when the weather doesn't feel that warm. When it's 22 degrees Celsius outside, the car could reach an unbearable 47 degrees within an hour. It's very dangerous and will cause your dog suffering and harm’

No, I wouldn’t either. I suggested a shaded part of a supermarket car park with windows partially open.

We have metal window grills that sit in the front windows.

de79c6284d73db3d7aafdb336540e204.jpg

But I think 30 minutes or so is a safe limit.
No it isn’t

266893A7-A3DF-42C2-9761-C388C38AFBAE.jpeg

8CD73BC3-D453-4D79-A4F9-C4E084F12017.jpeg

D2368519-BBCB-4916-BAB8-E7AF672903C9.jpeg

47A3B593-217B-4CD4-B2B1-4ABB03A1F4F6.jpeg

I am not overstating the danger.

Direct from RSPCA website

‘Many people think it's ok to leave their dog in the car if they're parked in the shade or the windows are open. But a car can become as hot as an oven, even when the weather doesn't feel that warm. When it's 22 degrees Celsius outside, the car could reach an unbearable 47 degrees within an hour. It's very dangerous and will cause your dog suffering and harm’

No it isn’t

View attachment 95034

View attachment 95035

View attachment 95036

View attachment 95037

I suggest you try it.

Park in the shade, open two windows a bit and relax and eat a sandwich, then surf the web ‘til the half hour is up. It’s fine. I’ve done it… regularly. It’s certainly preferable to doing the grocery shopping.

I’ve also pulled over at motorway aires or service stations when tired and napped for half an hour or longer in hot weather… it’s fine… so long as you have the windows open a bit.