Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regular Puppy Food vs. Large Breed Puppy Food

T

terryhillman

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello everyone. I have just adopted a mixed breed puppy who is around 18 weeks old. He weighs around 25-30lbs. His breed really is a mystery. Possibly some Lab and APBT in him, maybe some sort of herding breed also. The shelter sent him home with Purina Puppy Chow which I will not be continuing to feed him. My 15 year old Sheltie has been on Wellness for years and she has a beautiful coat, no health issues, she still thinks she's a puppy. So I am planning on switching our new puppy to Wellness also but I am not sure which formula I should be giving him. Does he need the large breed formula? It is possible that he could reach an adult weight of 60-70lbs but also possible he won't. Is there a big difference between the regular formula and the large breed formula?

Congratulations on your new puppy.
I would contact Wellness and ask them what they advise and if their food is suitable for puppies as they need a different feed when they are young. Oki my Stafford puppy is 11 months old now and I spent ages deciding on the ’best’ food for her.

Attachments

• 27879E41-42CF-4ABE-8F7B-34431C2F249D.jpeg
    27879E41-42CF-4ABE-8F7B-34431C2F249D.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2
The below is from Mrs S who runs a dog shop and only stock dog food that she and her business partner have chosen after careful research.

I've just had a look at the ingredients and analysis of Wellness Core dog food. The normal puppy is actually higher in protein than the large breed puppy food, which is suprising.
What does concern me is the lack of percentages on the ingredient list....chicken is the first ingredient but there is no indication how much there is in the food.
Have a look at the All about dog food site which is great to compare and look at independent reviews.

Back