Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to France with seven month old puppy

Park in the shade, open two windows a bit

it’s fine… so long as you have the windows open a bit.
So just for clarification you are saying leave the windows open whilst the van is unattended.

Presumably the deadlocks are not set either otherwise any movement in the van will set the alarm off.

What could possibly go wrong…..

Been thinking about your dog being sick when travelling

I have a cousin that always travels solo from choice with her dog, she’s done this with different dogs but always older rescues not a puppy and always U.K. so slightly different to your situation. She says it is more challenging but she has always managed to do what she wants, her challenges are as you state shop/toilet but she manages.
Your puppy being ill when travelling, is he on the floor? This can with some dogs cause motion sickness, if you haven’t already try him on the seat in a harness clipped to a seat belt.
I do hope you can work around the issues and enjoy your trip in August. Please update as to how it goes, genuinely interested as to how you get on.
Thank you . He isn’t sick anymore. It only lasted the first two months and turned out it was anxiety rather than travel sickness. A trainer advised to go back to basics and just sit in the van with a coffee with the vehicle stationary and then build on that. It was a real slow process but once he realised there was something fun at the end of a trip he started to relax and stop being sick! We definitely aren’t at the stage that he’s happy and falls asleep but we are getting there

So just for clarification you are saying leave the windows open whilst the van is unattended.

Presumably the deadlocks are not set either otherwise any movement in the van will set the alarm off.

What could possibly go wrong…..

Not unattended in supermarket car parks. Either with a dog inside, or people, or both. You have to make a decision based on location. Most campsites it is perfectly safe to leave unattended with roof up and windows partially open.

Supermarket car parks you need to decide whether the windows can be partially open or if you need to use window vents.

Also, the size of the vehicle seems to make a huge difference to the build-up of heat. Our little Skoda Citigo seems to get incredibly hot incredibly quickly, but Amarillo seems to take much longer. I have no empirical data to support this, just my casual observation.

Oh! Also, we stayed here 2 weeks ago:

Camping And Leisure La Plaine Tonique
+33 4 74 30 80 52

Is right on the lake so you could take all 3 of you in the water to cool down as and when, and seemed overall very child/dog friendly :thumb
This is actually very good because one of my options (if I don’t stick him in a kennel) is driving to my friend’s place in Chatel and this camp would be en-route. If I go to Chatel my friend has a base and we can leave the dog there when we go to the shops. What was the weather like when you were there?

How will he (the dog!) travel in the van?
We had a fabric foldable (and cleanable!) crate to contain any doggie discharge while they got used to the car.
Our dog now travels harnessed on the floor behind the driver/passenger seat.
Might be worth looking at some 'cooling' solutions for him also, things like cooling mats or coats. We've seen alot of golden retrievers in France, but if he's not used to the heat might be worth considering?
Have you got a D ring to attach him?

I'm sorry, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a picture of a seven month old puppy... I'm disappointed :sorry

Unless rules have changed, you'll have to take your pup to a vet in France between 24 and 48hrs before crossing back to the UK. Better double check, although it's been a while since I last did this (probably 11yrs). But as others have said, puppy that doesn't get along with the van, and long trip... not a good combo. My lab had trouble in the first year, but eventually grew out of it and could sleep for hours on end while traveling. I think he found the movement of the car soothing and sent him to sleep.

For shopping, as others have said, get creative. Pack as much non perishables as you can for the two weeks, and use small shops or outdoor markets for other stuff. Will take some planning to find the markets, but they are out there. Here in Switzerland I've never heard of dogs being stolen. It's common for them to be left tied up outside shops, and there's usually even special hooks to tie dogs to. If you do go to Como and go via Switzerland, that's an option, but I'd make it very quick in/out with a young pup.

Certainly don't leave the dog locked in the van, other than for a very fast nip in to the toilet.

But if you happen to find yourself near Zurich and need someone to look after your pup for half an hour while you shop, I'm available :D

I know you've already booked, but I would have simply stayed in the UK for this first year, and try again when he/she is a little older. Will be easier

My friend has a place in Chatel so I could go there and then leave him indoors when I need to shop - not camping but at least it gets us out of the U.K.. I’ve done three U.K. trips with him since April and he’s been great. It can take me longer to get to parts of the U.K. than France! The roads are so congested here. I’ve been looking at kennels today so if that works out I will leave him behind. I feel bad for him though!
I'm sorry, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a picture of a seven month old puppy... I'm disappointed :sorry

Unless rules have changed, you'll have to take your pup to a vet in France between 24 and 48hrs before crossing back to the UK. Better double check, although it's been a while since I last did this (probably 11yrs). But as others have said, puppy that doesn't get along with the van, and long trip... not a good combo. My lab had trouble in the first year, but eventually grew out of it and could sleep for hours on end while traveling. I think he found the movement of the car soothing and sent him to sleep.

For shopping, as others have said, get creative. Pack as much non perishables as you can for the two weeks, and use small shops or outdoor markets for other stuff. Will take some planning to find the markets, but they are out there. Here in Switzerland I've never heard of dogs being stolen. It's common for them to be left tied up outside shops, and there's usually even special hooks to tie dogs to. If you do go to Como and go via Switzerland, that's an option, but I'd make it very quick in/out with a young pup.

Certainly don't leave the dog locked in the van, other than for a very fast nip in to the toilet.

But if you happen to find yourself near Zurich and need someone to look after your pup for half an hour while you shop, I'm available :D

I know you've already booked, but I would have simply stayed in the UK for this first year, and try again when he/she is a little older. Will be easier

I’m going to attach a couple of photos but they are old - he’s much bigger now. A big polar bear!! He’s quiet today because he had his rabies jab last night.
My friend has a place in Chatel so I could go there and then leave him indoors when I need to shop - it’s not camping but at least it gets us out of the U.K and the mountains will be great. Does rain quite a bit there though. Sadly Zurich isn’t en route .
I’ve done three U.K. trips with him since April and he’s been great. It can take me longer to get to parts of the U.K. than France! The roads are so congested here. I’ve been looking at kennels today so if that works out I will leave him behind. I feel bad for him though!

95C319C1-7303-4861-9012-AE8B353A0CA9.jpeg

14B4B9B9-CEC5-4AE1-A293-4F1E6D684237.jpeg

I suggest you try it.

Park in the shade, open two windows a bit and relax and eat a sandwich, then surf the web ‘til the half hour is up. It’s fine. I’ve done it… regularly. It’s certainly preferable to doing the grocery shopping.

I’ve also pulled over at motorway aires or service stations when tired and napped for half an hour or longer in hot weather… it’s fine… so long as you have the windows open a bit.
So you know better than the Dogs Trust, the RSPCA, the Kennel Club, the Police, Veterinary practices etc. Dogs die in hot cars, fact.

This is actually very good because one of my options (if I don’t stick him in a kennel) is driving to my friend’s place in Chatel and this camp would be en-route. If I go to Chatel my friend has a base and we can leave the dog there when we go to the shops. What was the weather like when you were there?
This sounds best of both worlds and a good solution, certainly seems it will reduce stress levels.

So you know better than the Dogs Trust, the RSPCA, the Kennel Club, the Police, Veterinary practices etc. Dogs die in hot cars, fact.

No one is denying that dogs die in hot cars; worse than that, children die too. What I am saying is that the risks can be mitigated.

But if you prefer the simple message of the RSPCA over mine, (which is understandable) try it on yourself. On a hot day, park your van in the shade, open the windows with or without vents locked in and wait 30 minutes. If you don’t return with your experiment results we will know the RSPCA are right. If you do return we will know you have not died.

No one is denying that dogs die in hot cars; worse than that, children die too. What I am saying is that the risks can be mitigated.

But if you prefer the simple message of the RSPCA over mine, (which is understandable) try it on yourself. On a hot day, park your van in the shade, open the windows with or without vents locked in and wait 30 minutes. If you don’t return with your experiment results we will know the RSPCA are right. If you do return we will know you have not died.

9CA1942A-BB66-45BA-ADEF-A6990C460392.jpeg

302C2768-B5DA-49E4-82FE-6AAE9AD20F8C.jpeg

there is a world of difference between leaving your dog in a ventilated vehicle with an air temp of 16 degrees in the UK to one in Italy with an air temp of 32 degrees. An adult with any common sense should not need to think too long about making the right decision.

I’m happy not to test the theory, but just noticed that our EV has a dedicated dog setting which can be activated when parked up. Would guess that the Buzz will have similar, + camp setting will let you have near silent aircon at the campsite:

750E22C3-4ED2-4027-9AA7-E1A83E2580B6.png

And displays below on the cars screen in case any passers by get worried:

1656058582689.png

Last edited:
I’m happy not to test the theory, but just noticed that our EV has a dedicated dog setting which can be activated when parked up. Would guess that the Buzz will have similar, + camp setting will let you have near silent aircon at the campsite:

View attachment 95060

And displays below on the cars screen in case any passers by get worried:

View attachment 95062
So for leaving dogs in cars on cold days with the heater on?

So for leaving dogs in cars on cold days with the heater on?

All you need is shade and reasonable air circulation: a way for warm air to escape and fresh air to enter. If modern cars have a dog setting I expect fans are used to bring in fresh air from outside and extract the warm air from within keeping the internal temperature just a little above the external temperature.

That’s about as much use as a bus banner saying that leaving the EU will allow us to give the NHS £350 million per week.

Never leave your dog in a hot car. Yes- unarguable. So park in the shade and ensure sufficient ventilation so the car never gets hot.

I’m so glad you replied. It shows your experiment was successful.

Have you got a D ring to attach him?
Yes, but am now actually trialling having her harness clipped to the passenger seat-belt anchor point.
We had the floor anchor in the kitchen side rail, and it ended up being under her bed, and under the porta potti at night...

That’s about as much use as a bus banner saying that leaving the EU will allow us to give the NHS £350 million per week.

Never leave your dog in a hot car. Yes- unarguable. So park in the shade and ensure sufficient ventilation so the car never gets hot.

I’m so glad you replied. It shows your experiment was successful.
You either just don’t get that parking in the shade still allows your vehicle to heat to temperatures that are at the worst dangerous at best dammed uncomfortable for any animal or you just don’t care.
I really hope you are not as flippant and ignorant about caring for your sons as you are about your dogs.

You either just don’t get that parking in the shade still allows your vehicle to heat to temperatures that are at the worst dangerous at best dammed uncomfortable for any animal or you just don’t care.
I really hope you are not as flippant and ignorant about caring for your sons as you are about your dogs.

I would never leave our dog in a vehicle that I would not be comfortable sitting in.

We have lived in our van as primary accommodation for a full continuous year: two adults, two children and one or two dogs. In all weathers, from Nordkapp to Tarifa; from Cabo da Roco to the most easterly point of Finland. We have spent time in the van with windows open and with windows closed, with the roof up and with the roof down; with the upper bed up and with the upper bed down; in the sunshine and in the shade. We have even spent eleven consecutive days with our van as our only accommodation when the Sun has not set.

I am telling you categorically that on a campsite, so long as you have no vehicle security concerns, you can leave a dog or dogs in the van in hot weather perfectly safely for a sustained period of time so long as you take a few simple measures:
1. Roof up with vents open
2. Upper bed up
3. Front windows partially open (we insert window vents)
4. Rear sliding windows open (we put in fly screens).

I have also categorically said that you can safely leave your dog in the van for up to 30 minutes on a hot day in a supermarket car park by taking a few simple precautions.
1. Park in the shade.
2. Open the front windows (we put vents into the windows).

I have explained how I know this which is having sat in the van myself in hot weather while my wife has shopped, and not felt the need to evacuate the vehicle - or even being close.

You don’t believe me, and that’s fine. A certain degree of skepticism is advisable on social media. BUT I have also shown you a way you can test this out for yourself. Try out what I have said. It is really that simple.

Camp in hot weather with the roof and bed up with all vents and windows open. Lie in the lower bed and confirm if it is comfortable or if you need to evacuate.

Park in a shaded spot in hot weather for 30 minutes with only the front windows slightly unwound. Does the heat build to such an extent that you need to evacuate?

So instead of replying with more jpegs of dogs in cars warnings, try it first in your California. These vehicles are made for people and their pets to sleep in.

Hi, i have not read through all the comments as a few people seem to be really stressed from your question. We just came back from a Europe Trip with our 2 small dogs. There are 2 of us so it’s sometimes a bit easier to handle. There were plenty of dogs on every campsite we have been and dog owners were more than happy to help each other out and have a eye on your dog when you went for a quick shower. Sometimes i had the feeling every camperhas a dog! We love camping with our dogs and they enjoy being with us 24 hours and all the fuzz they get on every campsite. I might try and find a smart thermometer for the van so i can check the temperature from my phone when i am in a shop to give me a bit more peace and freedom.
Don’t worry about outside temperatures in general as long as they have the chance to go into the shade by themselves they find a place to sleep and rest. Bring a 5 metre leash and a crabiner so he can walk around your pitch. And get a European Pet Passport to avoid future travel costs for a health certificate. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions I wont send you upset replys! Enjoy your Europe trip with your little fur baby

I can fully understand you wanting your pup to go with you on holiday in the van, we absolutely hate leaving our boy ( though it’s a rare occurrence) in kennels.
Only you will know how good a traveller he eventually at 10 months is, so you won’t have a distressed dog being sick and you being distressed too.
We have a black Labrador ( our 3rd boy) and he travels well but we’ve only ever had him on UK sites so I can’t really comment on other EU sites. What I can say, as many others have and I’m sure you understand is that the temperature at that time of year could be very high and a Golden Retriever especially with that coat can overheat pretty quickly so a lot of care would be needed.
Your idea now of not travelling too far from Calais is probably better, but to be honest I think with a 7 yr old to care for too and a dog coming into its most boisterous ‘teenage’ period you’re taking on a lot.
I would suggest, if you don’t already have one, get a ‘dog spike/tie out cable’ for when you pitch up. I’m sure you’ll have years of great travel together and asking for advise is why we’re all on this forum.

I would never leave our dog in a vehicle that I would not be comfortable sitting in.

We have lived in our van as primary accommodation for a full continuous year: two adults, two children and one or two dogs. In all weathers, from Nordkapp to Tarifa; from Cabo da Roco to the most easterly point of Finland. We have spent time in the van with windows open and with windows closed, with the roof up and with the roof down; with the upper bed up and with the upper bed down; in the sunshine and in the shade. We have even spent eleven consecutive days with our van as our only accommodation when the Sun has not set.

I am telling you categorically that on a campsite, so long as you have no vehicle security concerns, you can leave a dog or dogs in the van in hot weather perfectly safely for a sustained period of time so long as you take a few simple measures:
1. Roof up with vents open
2. Upper bed up
3. Front windows partially open (we insert window vents)
4. Rear sliding windows open (we put in fly screens).

I have also categorically said that you can safely leave your dog in the van for up to 30 minutes on a hot day in a supermarket car park by taking a few simple precautions.
1. Park in the shade.
2. Open the front windows (we put vents into the windows).

I have explained how I know this which is having sat in the van myself in hot weather while my wife has shopped, and not felt the need to evacuate the vehicle - or even being close.

You don’t believe me, and that’s fine. A certain degree of skepticism is advisable on social media. BUT I have also shown you a way you can test this out for yourself. Try out what I have said. It is really that simple.

Camp in hot weather with the roof and bed up with all vents and windows open. Lie in the lower bed and confirm if it is comfortable or if you need to evacuate.

Park in a shaded spot in hot weather for 30 minutes with only the front windows slightly unwound. Does the heat build to such an extent that you need to evacuate?

So instead of replying with more jpegs of dogs in cars warnings, try it first in your California. These vehicles are made for people and their pets to sleep in.

Currently sitting in Amarillo, and have been for >30 minutes (no dog) while my boys play in the playground. The front windows only have been slightly unwound. No discomfort.

There is no shade, and the van’s external thermometer gives a temperature of 20.5C.

8547d4b287804a5e8714b6f2d2568cae.jpg

Hi, i have not read through all the comments as a few people seem to be really stressed from your question. We just came back from a Europe Trip with our 2 small dogs. There are 2 of us so it’s sometimes a bit easier to handle. There were plenty of dogs on every campsite we have been and dog owners were more than happy to help each other out and have a eye on your dog when you went for a quick shower. Sometimes i had the feeling every camperhas a dog! We love camping with our dogs and they enjoy being with us 24 hours and all the fuzz they get on every campsite. I might try and find a smart thermometer for the van so i can check the temperature from my phone when i am in a shop to give me a bit more peace and freedom.
Don’t worry about outside temperatures in general as long as they have the chance to go into the shade by themselves they find a place to sleep and rest. Bring a 5 metre leash and a crabiner so he can walk around your pitch. And get a European Pet Passport to avoid future travel costs for a health certificate. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions I wont send you upset replys! Enjoy your Europe trip with your little fur baby
Thank you for this - much appreciated. The people we have met camping have been so friendly and you are right, I do believe they would watch out for me. I have a spiral ground stake but it was really hard to get into the ground last weekend in Norfolk. I really don’t want to leave him behind because as much as I know it will have its difficulties, he is part of our family. There are lots of holidays he can’t come on but camping he can!