Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to France with seven month old puppy

Thank
I can fully understand you wanting your pup to go with you on holiday in the van, we absolutely hate leaving our boy ( though it’s a rare occurrence) in kennels.
Only you will know how good a traveller he eventually at 10 months is, so you won’t have a distressed dog being sick and you being distressed too.
We have a black Labrador ( our 3rd boy) and he travels well but we’ve only ever had him on UK sites so I can’t really comment on other EU sites. What I can say, as many others have and I’m sure you understand is that the temperature at that time of year could be very high and a Golden Retriever especially with that coat can overheat pretty quickly so a lot of care would be needed.
Your idea now of not travelling too far from Calais is probably better, but to be honest I think with a 7 yr old to care for too and a dog coming into its most boisterous ‘teenage’ period you’re taking on a lot.
I would suggest, if you don’t already have one, get a ‘dog spike/tie out cable’ for when you pitch up. I’m sure you’ll have years of great travel together and asking for advise is why we’re all on this forum.
I can fully understand you wanting your pup to go with you on holiday in the van, we absolutely hate leaving our boy ( though it’s a rare occurrence) in kennels.
Only you will know how good a traveller he eventually at 10 months is, so you won’t have a distressed dog being sick and you being distressed too.
We have a black Labrador ( our 3rd boy) and he travels well but we’ve only ever had him on UK sites so I can’t really comment on other EU sites. What I can say, as many others have and I’m sure you understand is that the temperature at that time of year could be very high and a Golden Retriever especially with that coat can overheat pretty quickly so a lot of care would be needed.
Your idea now of not travelling too far from Calais is probably better, but to be honest I think with a 7 yr old to care for too and a dog coming into its most boisterous ‘teenage’ period you’re taking on a lot.
I would suggest, if you don’t already have one, get a ‘dog spike/tie out cable’ for when you pitch up. I’m sure you’ll have years of great travel together and asking for advise is why we’re all on this forum.
Thank you and yes you are right about the coat! It would nice to find somewhere with a river for him to jump into - maybe Dordogne but that’s quite a distance.

AMH70 what have you started !! I rarely post but the thought of you leaving your lovely dog in kennels as a result of some high and mighty posts on this forum deserves reconsideration. The whole point of having a dog & a van is the enjoyment they can bring together. No one will deny leaving dogs unattended in a vehicle for long periods in hot weather is a bad idea. But location, temperature and duration are all variables. Use your judgement, you know your dog and clearly care for him. I'm pretty sure you will find quiet locations you feel safe where when its not warm you can leave him for a few minutes, or where someone will keep an eye on him or where you can bring him with you. Just pack enough to give yourself a bit of leeway. Same goes for travel time, if he looks uncomfortable pull over and take some time. If he's fast asleep drive on. All principles we have applied successfully since our spaniel was a puppy.

My god, what a load of preaching. Some sensible advice, but the
AMH70 what have you started !! I rarely post but the thought of you leaving your lovely dog in kennels as a result of some high and mighty posts on this forum deserves reconsideration. The whole point of having a dog & a van is the enjoyment they can bring together. No one will deny leaving dogs unattended in a vehicle for long periods in hot weather is a bad idea. But location, temperature and duration are all variables. Use your judgement, you know your dog and clearly care for him. I'm pretty sure you will find quiet locations you feel safe where when its not warm you can leave him for a few minutes, or where someone will keep an eye on him or where you can bring him with you. Just pack enough to give yourself a bit of leeway. Same goes for travel time, if he looks uncomfortable pull over and take some time. If he's fast asleep drive on. All principles we have applied successfully since our spaniel was a puppy.
Completely agree with this.

The preachiness on this thread has reached new grounds. There has been a lot of reasoned sense too from kind folks with more patience than me!

Go for it AMH70! You are obviously giving it serious thought and have asked questions. Love your puppy and he will give you so much pleasure on your journeys. Get all the advice you can, plan ahead and enjoy the journey and your holiday. Good luck. Be good to hear how it went when you return. And with advice for others too.

Why!?

We do so regularly. Sometimes for prolonged periods.

On busy campsites, roof up, vents open, sliding windows open, cool air comes in downstairs, warm air rises and leaves by the vents, dogs doze on the floor while humans cool off in the swimming pool.

Supermarket car parks, find a shady spot, leave windows slightly open, leave a bowl of water out and dogs will be fine while you do a bit of shopping.

Be sensible, use common sense, and dogs are fine in campervans. Ours spent a year travelling with us, including a 7 month old puppy.
We have just returned from France/ Spain with our dog for sure it was a heatwave but we checked the van on our return even when in the shade the van got up to 40oc ,in the sun with all the blinds shut including the front screen it hit 50oc in no time.
we had a cool mat and cool jacket on her when we were sat around the van it’s quite stressful I wouldn’t risk leaving her in the van in the summer months but if you pick your times of day early morning full shade that would be fine for a short period of time,you can even get a camera to keep a sharp eye on them.

Thank

Thank you and yes you are right about the coat! It would nice to find somewhere with a river for him to jump into - maybe Dordogne but that’s quite a distance.
Hi just a bit of advice please get a tick collar from your vet put it on the dog a week before you go it stops limes disease it’s a big problem in France ,Italy and sand fly in Spain the collar stops all these problem.On our return we stopped at a vet in annecy which was excellent a poor dog was brought in with limes the lady didn’t realise it was a problem and she totally regretted not getting the collar her vet never even suggested or mentioned the potential of limes and sand fly illness.

Also the cool jacket is excellent it really helps them cool down in hot weather.

My advice is take your dog we had an amazing holiday we took her everywhere swimming, out for meals,in the kayak one of the best holidays I have ever had lol.

Currently sitting in Amarillo, and have been for >30 minutes (no dog) while my boys play in the playground. The front windows only have been slightly unwound. No discomfort.

There is no shade, and the van’s external thermometer gives a temperatu
Were you wearing your fur coat and hat?

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Hello everyone. I have a seven month old golden retriever and have just booked his first trip abroad - Eurotunnel to France in August. I would be grateful for any useful advise for his first trip, please. So far he has been okay in the camper (max two nights) although he doesn’t particularly like the travelling part (sickness and poo for the first two months ☹️) - he is getting better. I was thinking of driving no longer than 2.5 hours at a time…
Does anyone know of a vet near Calais for the return visit, worming treatment?
Should I leave him in van (windows slightly open) or outside supermarkets when I have to pop in for provisions?
Can anyone recommend a site that is suitable for both dogs and seven year old?
Was thinking maybe driving to Lake Como but only have two weeks and not sure if that’s too far for him.
Any advise is much appreciated!
* edit he will be ten months and I’m not suggesting leaving him in a boiling hot van for an hour.
Hi , we had our 6 months old Hungarian Puli and our older one on a trip from Scotland to Rome , we had no problems with either dog they were perfect.
We now only have one Puli and a Portuguese Water Dog, who also went his first trip to Italy when he was 9 months old, he’s a great traveler and also loves the van .

Hi , we had our 6 months old Hungarian Puli and our older one on a trip from Scotland to Rome , we had no problems with either dog they were perfect.
We now only have one Puli and a Portuguese Water Dog, who also went his first trip to Italy when he was 9 months old, he’s a great traveler and also loves the van .
Thanks for this! Great to hear. I’m going to Google both dogs to see what they look like

Hi just a bit of advice please get a tick collar from your vet put it on the dog a week before you go it stops limes disease it’s a big problem in France ,Italy and sand fly in Spain the collar stops all these problem.On our return we stopped at a vet in annecy which was excellent a poor dog was brought in with limes the lady didn’t realise it was a problem and she totally regretted not getting the collar her vet never even suggested or mentioned the potential of limes and sand fly illness.

Also the cool jacket is excellent it really helps them cool down in hot weather.

My advice is take your dog we had an amazing holiday we took her everywhere swimming, out for meals,in the kayak one of the best holidays I have ever had lol.
Thank you so much for this info. Limes scares me so much. I’m going to speak to the vet to get a collar. They didn’t mention when he had the rabies jab which they should have done. I have a tick removal but had no idea about the collar. Cooling jacket is on my list too - I didn’t like the ones in Pets at home - they looked quite small - harness size even for a large dog.

Thank you so much for this info. Limes scares me so much. I’m going to speak to the vet to get a collar. They didn’t mention when he had the rabies jab which they should have done. I have a tick removal but had no idea about the collar. Cooling jacket is on my list too - I didn’t like the ones in Pets at home - they looked quite small - harness size even for a large dog.
Just a word of warning - some dogs don't get along with those collars at all. Mine developed a nasty reaction to it over a few weeks. It manifested itself with loss of hair in the neck area and irritation.

The vet advised switching to monthly pipettes that included tick protection. Never had a tick problem, and they are very prevalent here too, and lime disease is an issue here as well (I always wear long trousers when walking in long grass/bushes/hiking)

So get the collar before you travel and keep an eye out for any signs of an allergic reaction in the neck

We have just returned from France/ Spain with our dog for sure it was a heatwave but we checked the van on our return even when in the shade the van got up to 40oc ,in the sun with all the blinds shut including the front screen it hit 50oc in no time.
we had a cool mat and cool jacket on her when we were sat around the van it’s quite stressful I wouldn’t risk leaving her in the van in the summer months but if you pick your times of day early morning full shade that would be fine for a short period of time,you can even get a camera to keep a sharp eye on the
Just a word of warning - some dogs don't get along with those collars at all. Mine developed a nasty reaction to it over a few weeks. It manifested itself with loss of hair in the neck area and irritation.

The vet advised switching to monthly pipettes that included tick protection. Never had a tick problem, and they are very prevalent here too, and lime disease is an issue here as well (I always wear long trousers when walking in long grass/bushes/hiking)

So get the collar before you travel and keep an eye out for any signs of an allergic reaction in the neck
Just spoken to the vet - the worming treatment he has (Provecto) covers ticks. I feel as though I’m planning a trip to the moon . Must have been awful for your dog having that reaction to the collar.

Go for it AMH70! You are obviously giving it serious thought and have asked questions. Love your puppy and he will give you so much pleasure on your journeys. Get all the advice you can, plan ahead and enjoy the journey and your holiday. Good luck. Be good to hear how it went when you return. And with advice for others too.
Thank you!! Last night I went for it and booked a campsite in Dordogne for seven nights. Really small site (shady) which we went to last year so I know the set up. We will only drive 2/3 hours a day each way. It’ll be an adventure. Of course we will have stresses but it’ll be memorable for all and if it doesn’t work out we won’t do it again. In the words of Dame Deborah ‘be brave’.

My god, what a load of preaching. Some sensible advice, but the

Completely agree with this.

The preachiness on this thread has reached new grounds. There has been a lot of reasoned sense too from kind folks with more patience than me!
❤️

Thank you! I have yet to see him sleep when I’m driving but hopefully by the end of this trip he will be relaxed enough to. He is so much part of our little family now it would be a shame to leave him. The local kennels are lovely but the one time he went in (for four nights) he was furious with me for days afterwards .

Just spoken to the vet - the worming treatment he has (Provecto) covers ticks. I feel as though I’m planning a trip to the moon . Must have been awful for your dog having that reaction to the collar.

Yep- spot on flea treatment usually covers ticks. It might not cover Sand Fly, but a collar probably would.

Sand Fly is only a problem on the Mediterranean coast. Not inland and not on the Atlantic coast.

a22ad83202366649138de2c697c1f420.jpg

Good advice on Sand Fly here:

We've had labs for years and now have a very special Drakeshead black lab - long legged, very very clever and weighs 35kg. The previous dogs never went away with us but I said this one would - wow, quite a shokc to the system!! He is now 5 and travels totally relaxed - we can go for 5 hours at least and all he really wants is a biscuit but he will have been for a good long walk prior to travel so my only concern for you is making sure your dog gets enough exercise before travel. Now with a young dog you'll need to be careful they are young and bones still developing and you won't have benefit of a garden for exercise - not leaving them in van means they'll be walking further. If we are going on trips with ferries involved he goes in kennels - we've done this from when he was 6 months old so he got used to kennels (just happens our kennels use our vet and know his breeder) for this reason and also should there be a famiyly crisis where you need to go but dog cannot go with you?? Finally you might want to consider upping his dose for worming treatment i.e. lung worm prevention from 3 months to 1 month interval. We use Droncit for this and Nextguard Spectra for other worm and flea/tick prevention. Never had any issues with ticks and we visit Scotland frequently - oh yeh don't forget to talk to your vet about pet antihistamines - just in case snakes about - our narrowly missed a strike from an ader in Scotland this May!!!

Fascinating thread! Commonsense is the rule IMHO. Our 2 year old Goldie loves the van and has been on every UK holiday with us since we got it. She travels really well and we have the D anchor in the seat rail and a shock absorber leash connected to her harness. In my view there is a world of difference between leaving her in the van on a cool campsite in, say, Snowdonia, with zero chance of overheating, compared to the south of France in 30c + temperatures. Near to home, unless it is extremely hot, I confess I sometimes leave her in the van for a few minutes while I pop into a shop - why wouldn’t you? Sometimes the wife and kids are left in there too and they don't seem to complain if I come back with the right sort of treats ;)

Having said all that, we recently planned our summer holiday to France in August and reluctantly decided that it was going to be too difficult all round to take her all the way south. Too hot for comfort really and added to this I read that although the French love their dogs, you can’t take them on the beach in most places! This would make life miserable for her and our 13 and 6 year old kids! So we were looking to change the itinerary and head inland to lakes and mountains (maybe Auvergne region) where it would be cooler and she could get wet. But in the end, parents have come to the rescue and will house/dogsit while we are away so she will be spoilt rotten. Although we will miss her, its the best compromise for everyone to be safe and happy. Plus it will save all the hassle and expense of the extra vet bills for jabs and checks. Mind you they can get into enough trouble all by themselves - I just took her to the vet today to see about a limp and its looking like a damaged cruciate and a massive bill if surgery is required :eek:

Only you know what’s best for you and your pup. Have a great trip - and if he doesn’t go on this one, there will surely be plenty more for him to enjoy.

98 posts about taking a puppy to France and no one has mentioned the Elephant in the Room.
A single adult, a child and a puppy travelling abroad in the middle of a pandemic. Cases are rising in the UK and we have one of the best Covid surveillance systems in the west. So if they are rising here they are rising in Europe. So who is going to look after the child , let alone the puppy, when the adult is knocked for six by Covid. Infection may not be as serious for the vaccinated as it was but you still get knocked for 6. I hope you have adequate travel insurance and a Plan B if you you do catch it whilst in France.

This is very true; good point - no one can predict how Covid will hit them and boy is it on the rise . My youngest son (32) in London has just had it for 7 days and said it was like a cold; his partner was the same - she felt like a cold but both exactly 7 days and 3 days after coming back from Barcelona. My elder son (34) had it 4 weeks ago and so did his wife - both felt knocked for a 6!!! She recovered after 7 days he 10!! I should note all of them still wear masks in shops and busy areas and daughter in law specifically careful as she works for East Anglian Air Ambulance. What is shocking is my wife (a nurse who's been vaccinating from very start) is still getting people (all ages) asking for first jab!

I should add neither my wife or I (both in 60's) have caught it yet; I'm especially amazed as wife was vaccinating 7 days a week at the height so we have no idea how we will fair - my holiday insurance does however cover any and all eventualities includig the dog!