Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flip-down 12V TV

Hi There, I am not sure where a flip down TV would go because of the downstairs roof. As for a PS3 it may work off a good inverter as i know the PS2 used to be fitted to quite a few Range Rovers.

We use a 12v inverter bought from Comet. It has two three-pin plug sockets on it and is great to run a laptop from, so there should be no problems for a PS3, as long as the console is kept stable.

I think Martin (T5 WOB) has a tv fitted in the wardrobe that swings out on an arm when needed.

I have one. An Avtex 16 inch with DVD. Mounted on the underside of the horizontal rear cupboard. Fixed with a flip down bracket. They wired it either to the rear battery or found a supply to splice into. The coaxial is fed through the cupboard and the rear cupboards and exits within the external hook up flap. I then suction pad the Avtex aerial to the outside windows and plug the aerial in. All wired are completely hidden.

Thanks Bernd, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. Who fitted it for you? And do you have pics? Is 16" big enough for people sitting in the captain's seats?

at the risk of causing a riot - wanna tv, get a caravan... Cali too special for a telly.

Some of us are intending to use our vans on a regular basis. When you're on your own at 9 o'clock at night, you're fed up of reading, and don't want to go down the pub, there's nothing better than relaxing in front of some classic TV - Nuts in May, anyone?

Avtex 16inch is the biggest you could have fixed as I have it, any larger and the bottom of the screen would drop below the rear seat upright and impede visibility. The dealer got someone to fit it for me.

Not a lover of TV whilst camping but not a lover of drilling holes in my Cali.
Got an Ipad? Try this : Elgato EyeTV Mobile TV Tuner for iPad 2
Seems a sensible solution.

Chris said:
Not a lover of TV whilst camping but not a lover of drilling holes in my Cali.
Got an Ipad? Try this : Elgato EyeTV Mobile TV Tuner for iPad 2
Seems a sensible solution.

Same here, we normally watch a movie on the iPad as a last resort, I do however like the look of the Elgato EyeTV , but this has received some really bad reviews, has anyone got any experience of using it?

Not sure if my own solution is really user-friendly, but I would like to share it anyway.

I use an old laptop onto which I have installed Linux and the MythTv application. I've also loaded the laptop with all of my music collection, which is a nice bonus. Normally the laptop sits at home wired upto the tv aerial, recording my favourite movies and TV shows directly to it's hard drive. When I head off in the cali for the weekend, I take it with me, and I can watch all of the TV recordings that I've made, or simply plug an aerial into the tuner (I use an old PS3 dual tuner one) and watch live TV, or of course just record the TV, if I start dozing off in the Cali.

Being a laptop, I can also watch DVD's, check on my email or browse the web all on one unit which sits nicely in the dropdown cupboard. I have also used C&CC wifi to watch live TV when no tv signal was available via www.tvcatchup.com. The laptop works fine from the Cali invertor, so the kids can also watch TV recordings whilst underway. The laptops internal battery is also good for a couple of hours if needed.

Linux/Myth can be difficult to set up, but for any other geeks out there, like myself, it may be a nice solution for you.

Please be careful using any invertor with equipment that uses an [usually internal] transformer to perform the voltage step down. Transformers typically need close to a sinusoidal waveform to work properly, invertors [unless very expensive] do not give a suitable waveshape. It will be fine for e.g. laptops, mobile phone chargers etc which use DC-DC type regulation technology. So, If your appliance has a "little external box" to power/charge it, then it should be fine with an invertor of adequate wattage, otherwise be cautious.

Hi all,

We've gone for a Nikkai 10.5" digital tv + £99 for the wet evenings as it neatly fits in the bottom cabinet along with the various board games (recommend 'settlers of catan' as a starter) Had to replace aerial though (standard was ok for strong areas) to a powered one via batteries (supposadly meant to last over 200 hrs from 2AA batteries). It's simply powered from the 12v socket. Comes with a stand and fits nicely on top of the fridge/table depending where you want to sit.

I then compress movies using handbrake.fr (free software) onto my ipod and use that as a 'movie juke box' to play through the tv, if there's nothing on digital tv. I find I can have about 40 movies/tv series on the ipod and it still has space for about 8,000 songs.

To boost the sound (if needed) and rather than use the aux in, I have a 'wowee' speaker which charges via standard mni usb (which lasts for 15 - 20 hours and it's good for music outside too), it uses the surface it is sitting on as a 'bass speaker', which works really well on the cali's cabinets!

Looked at the permanent set ups, but knowing me I would end up with it on all the time!

choplee said:
Harbourmaster said:
Has anyone fitted one? Was looking at this one: http://www.wedodigital.co.uk/product/20 ... 192bmos40/

And what about a PS3. Shame they don't do a 12V version!

It's a Cali James ... So you can get away from all the tv ,hd ,ps3, x box stuff .. Get a windup wireless a beer and chill fella ....:) lol

lol - I agree with that :)

I just think with modern TV and with apps like catchup TV on the IPAD - then it's not that a TV is redundant but you don't always have to install one - laptops/tablets can perform the function.

Each to their own though :)

You love your wind up wireless - the fact you call it a wireless, makes me suspect you have found somewhere to store your 'Penny Farthing'.

:lol:

James