Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v freeview flip down tv

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All

Has any got or played with a flip down tv, done the usual searches and there seems to be a few on the market. Any tips or help appreciated

Derry

IMO I think such devices are already out dated and becoming redundant. Portable multi function devices such as iPads and their like provide all that functionality plus so much more in a more flexible package. Either using wifi or 3g to stream from web or Add on a freeview device/arial to an iPad to receive digital signals direct and bingo.
Personally I watch less and less live tv and use more and more catchup services and on demand services as I have little time available to watch tv, and when I do I like to choose what to watch.
Also I find that when camping, if we want to watch something, it tends to be a film. And downloading those to iPad to watch at will works best for us.
If you want TV then is be looking for a device that has disk storage capacity to record and replay at will from digital channels.

But Everyone's different so it depends on your tv habits and lifestyle.

I never thought about the ipad route!

I have a ipad but its not connected to a 3G mobile network is there such a thing as an aerial that can connect to the ipad to pick up the freeview channels would safe a lot hassle.

It would be nice when away to watch the football or the Grand Prix when away chilling in me Westy with a couple of cold beers!

I have a 3G ipad when my contract runs out I am going to tether it from my mobile phone
Ie use it as a wifi hotspot :thumb

Maplin do a freeview ipad adapter called IDTV. there is also the belkin Tizi and a few others out their . Put in ipad dvb into eBay search.
Do some research as some need an external (larger ) aerial in low signal strength areas and some units cannot accommodate this.
There is another thread that mentions this on the forum somewhere as well.

There is another thread that tacked this subject.

I use Eye TV (about £40) with Avtex STH1000 digital suction ariel (£35) on my MacBook Pro to watch live free view TV. Works brilliantly.

Eye TV also has device for iPad.

I use 'CatchupTV' on my iPad. If there is wifi on the campsite then I opt for this, otherwise I use a '3 Wireless Modem - E585' which cost me £11 for a SIM card which last 3months. This only works in the UK of course. I have yet to workout how to use the Modem whilst abroad.

The iPad is really the answer for us compact campers. You can load it before you set off with films etc, use it to Skype the folks back home and have all your favoured games/Application all in one device

Also with the iPad you can pre download all your favourite programmes from the BBC iplayer app.

+1 for iPad. If you already have one, its almost a no-brainer. You can just stand it on the table or counter or have a slightly more robust mount (vogels ringo is nice)

I've yet to choose between the Elgato eye tv or the Equinux / Belkin tizi. Whilst I've used the online iplayer / tvcatchup apps, neither of these two devices need an Internet connection, just a decent digital TV signal.

The eye tv plugs straight into the ipad dock - however if you have the new iPad or mini (with the smaller "lightning" connector), you'll need the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter (about £25). The eyetv seems to work really well - at least in the town so far, but you need to make sure it's charged as it doesn't draw power from the iPad. It did come with two aerials, one built in and one smaller magmount style for external use, though its not amplified.

ju9eqe2e.jpg

The Equinux / Belkin Tizi is a neat bit of kit which is a separate little device about the size of an old school pager. It's a standalone affair, that connects to the iPad (or iPhone etc) wirelessly, appearing like a wireless hotspot. An app then runs the streamed TV pics. It's a bit more expensive, but the advantage is that you can position the device to where the best signal is, not the iPad (unless you have the external aeriel). Also the tizi can be plugged in to charge whilst you're watching. There is a special external aerial adapter, for use with a better aerial, but that slots over the existing one, so I'm not sure how well this will work in the field.

9amuquqy.jpg

Both will probably need an external aerial at some point, possibly amplified, if you're in more remote areas (though if you're remote you probably don't want TV anyway)

I think I'm leaning towards the tizi, so will report back on this one once I've been camping with it

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

According to Techradar the Tizi does not have an aerial socket as consequently cannot be linked to an external aerial, which is a pity .

Used the Tizi on two separate camping trips now and it's been a great little bit of kit. Does need a strongish signal (the aerial is a bit puny). As you only need to move the little Tizi box to the best signal location, it means you can watch anywhere. Also use it as a decent digital radio too (beats leaving the RNS turned on for the Ashes!)

I'll probably invest in an amplified aerial, but it worked well for my 1-year olds' placating dose of "Cbeebies" in the middle of Exmoor, whilst mummy & daddy cleaned up!

Andy

I use 'CatchupTV' on my iPad. If there is wifi on the campsite then I opt for this, otherwise I use a '3 Wireless Modem - E585' which cost me £11 for a SIM card which last 3months. This only works in the UK of course. I have yet to workout how to use the Modem whilst abroad.

The iPad is really the answer for us compact campers. You can load it before you set off with films etc, use it to Skype the folks back home and have all your favoured games/Application all in one device
Thinking about accessing TV in my California and saw your link. Silly question but does the IPAD run out of battery quickly when you watch a film on it?

Thinking about accessing TV in my California and saw your link. Silly question but does the IPAD run out of battery quickly when you watch a film on it?
Battery life is still the limiting factor with all mobile technology however it is not a problem in a vehicle as you can just plug it in. As an extra insurance I use one of the below to charge any USB device, phone bike Garmin, USB bike lights etc whilst on my travels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M1J93TC/?tag=eliteelect-21

Also useful if you have Sky is the ability to watch any programme on up to two other devices. I watch on my IPAD tethered to my phone. NB: UK Only. My IPAD is very old and due an upgrade.

I watch very little TV live, especially while travelling but do like the odd bit of sport. Addicted :)

Battery life is still the limiting factor with all mobile technology however it is not a problem in a vehicle as you can just plug it in. As an extra insurance I use one of the below to charge any USB device, phone bike Garmin, USB bike lights etc whilst on my travels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M1J93TC/?tag=eliteelect-21

Also useful if you have Sky is the ability to watch any programme on up to two other devices. I watch on my IPAD tethered to my phone. NB: UK Only. My IPAD is very old and due an upgrade.

I watch very little TV live, especially while travelling but do like the odd bit of sport. Addicted :)
Thanks, Mike!