Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Footwell lights deactivated when braking...

T

Ta51tac

Guest User
Should my footwell lights go off when I brake?? As I type this I am already thinking it could be another trip back to the dealer, but thought I would ask and provide some amusement for others as you imagine the interior lighting going into stealth mode as I slow down! I can see no sensible reason for this particular feature in our new Cali!

Why are your footwell lights on when you are driving?
I would have thought they should have gone off when you close the door and switch on the ignition, just as the other interior cab lights do.

Or am I confused as to which lights you are referring to?

Alan

Why are your footwell lights on when you are driving?
I would have thought they should have gone off when you close the door and switch on the ignition, just as the other interior cab lights do.

Or am I confused as to which lights you are referring to?

Alan
@AlanC thanks for for replying. It is normal for footwell lights to be on when you are driving and the interior lights to go off, in my experience, but to go off when I brake is odd. I think anyway. Since posting at the weekend, I have spoke to the dealership and looks like Cali is going back again to be looked at under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean those in the door step? Or do you have lights under the dashboard, that light up the feet, like in some other passenger cars?

Those that light up your feet like cars.
I’m getting confused!
Your Cali has footwell lights under the dash, which are normally on but cut out under braking? Unless these footwell lights were a new T6 feature I have not come across them. If they’ve been added and not a factory fit, I would suspect they’ve been wired incorrectly and/or there’s a bad earth connection.

Or maybe the wires run across the braking pedal and you short them by touching the brakes?

Do they go off when Adaptive Cruise Control activates the brakes or only when you brake manually?
I always brake by foot, not manually. :veryfunny

But really, this is a good question. One I should have come up with. :sorry

I’m getting confused!
Your Cali has footwell lights under the dash, which are normally on but cut out under braking? Unless these footwell lights were a new T6 feature I have not come across them. If they’ve been added and not a factory fit, I would suspect they’ve been wired incorrectly and/or there’s a bad earth connection.
Definitely are footwell and door pocket lights in my Cali. It was brand new on 23 Sep this year. The wheel bottom right of the steering wheel adjusts the brightness. No mods done although we have just had the fridge replaced because it was an icebox on setting 1.

Definitely are footwell and door pocket lights in my Cali. It was brand new on 23 Sep this year. The wheel bottom right of the steering wheel adjusts the brightness. No mods done.
Can you take a picture of what lights you mean? As all my lights in the interior go out when ignition is turned on.

The footwell lights can flick on and off if the dash lighting dimmer dial is turned down but not quite to the off position. IIRC correctly it clicks into a position that turns the footwell lights off. Turn it up and see if that fixes it.

You have the optional lights that come with the shower attachment.

You have the optional lights that come with the shower attachment.

I’ve just looked at the Multivan manual - door handle lights and footwell lights are comfort lighting. Apparently, they dim with the dash lights at the switch to the right of the steering wheel and go on and off with the sidelights. Nothing about going out when you brake.

I’ve just looked at the Multivan manual - door handle lights and footwell lights are comfort lighting. Apparently, they dim with the dash lights at the switch to the right of the steering wheel and go on and off with the sidelights. Nothing about going out when you brake.
That's correct, I have the shower attachment with comfort lighting. Mine do not go out when I brake, sounds like some dodgy wiring there!

I would take off the plastic trim around the pedals and look for a damaged wire.
You might need a torx 20.

Back