Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

For sale dates

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, I’ve just joined the forum as I’m actively looking for a used Cal. I have been looking at the ones for sale on here but I can’t see a date when the car was a put up for sale so unsure if they are sold or not. Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks in advance

Hi, I’ve just joined the forum as I’m actively looking for a used Cal. I have been looking at the ones for sale on here but I can’t see a date when the car was a put up for sale so unsure if they are sold or not. Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks in advance
No, your not missing anything, but the adverts are time limited to 2,4 or 8 weeks.
I believe owners are supposed to edit/withdraw the advert once sold.

We do rely on sellers to mark their advert as 'sold' , also sometimes they will contact us to remove the advert from the site but the best way to find out is to drop them an email or phone them, you can also see how many views an advert has had ( bottom left of each advert) , this can be a guide to how long it has been for sale

We do rely on sellers to mark their advert as 'sold' , also sometimes they will contact us to remove the advert from the site but the best way to find out is to drop them an email or phone them, you can also see how many views an advert has had ( bottom left of each advert) , this can be a guide to how long it has been for sale
Great thanks for that.

Thanks in advance

I believe they are in order, newest ad at the top, oldest at the bottom but not 100% sure.

Not quite sure why a date the ad was posted isn’t shown, could be useful

Last edited:
The early Cali's look great value to me if the Euro 4 status of T5s don't trouble you. They don't seem to have 'suffered' (benefited from?) the same crazy price hikes that 5.1s / 6s and 6.1s have. They've evolved VERY slowly inside, so your camping experience will be 95% as good.

The early Cali's look great value to me if the Euro 4 status of T5s don't trouble you. They don't seem to have 'suffered' (benefited from?) the same crazy price hikes that 5.1s / 6s and 6.1s have. They've evolved VERY slowly inside, so your camping experience will be 95% as good.
Yeah saw an 08 Cal on auto trader last week for £23k and when I enquired about it, it was already sold. Looked great, 85k on clock and was also 4WD. My budget is £30k ish. Would prefer as new as possible but the engine fails on the 180 BHP 5.1s models concerns me…….

Yeah saw an 08 Cal on auto trader last week for £23k and when I enquired about it, it was already sold. Looked great, 85k on clock and was also 4WD. My budget is £30k ish. Would prefer as new as possible but the engine fails on the 180 BHP 5.1s models concerns me…….
It shouldn’t if you do Due Diligence.
2010/2011 Model Years CFCA engines had a problem known to VW who published a TPI regarding the problem.
Subsequent years, some 180 ‘s have developed excessive oil consumption due to a breakdown in the EGR cooler. However, it is not that common overall and no one has confirmed if the EGR is the actual problem or a symptom of something else .
My 2014 180 is now on 115,780 miles. Original 2014 EGR and oil consumption is less than 200 mls between annual services.

Ah ok. I suppose every vehicle has its faults and the internet doesn’t help sometimes.

Ah ok. I suppose every vehicle has its faults and the internet doesn’t help sometimes.
I'm not reoping the debate, but WelshGas's take on the situation is far from widely held.
That 08 was a real bargain but if you'd spotted it, you are on the right track. Can't remember if it was auto? There was a big leap forward from the autos in T5s to the DSGs in 5.1s, if that's what you want, and of course the euro class went from 4 to 5....but even the euro 5 is already out of favour in much of the UK.

Bide your time, silly season is coming to a close. Lots of Calis that were advertised at silly prices are still for sale and many have now reduced. You will find a decent one if you wait and look at all outlets ie auto trader, ebay, as well as on here. £30k is between T5 and T5.1 prices.

I'm not reoping the debate, but WelshGas's take on the situation is far from widely held.
That 08 was a real bargain but if you'd spotted it, you are on the right track. Can't remember if it was auto? There was a big leap forward from the autos in T5s to the DSGs in 5.1s, if that's what you want, and of course the euro class went from 4 to 5....but even the euro 5 is already out of favour in much of the UK.
The one I missed out on was a manual. I’d prefer an auto but not a deal breaker. I’m pretty sure the auto gearbox needs a service every 40k miles too so could have problems if not serviced as it should

Bide your time, silly season is coming to a close. Lots of Calis that were advertised at silly prices are still for sale and many have now reduced. You will find a decent one if you wait and look at all outlets ie auto trader, ebay, as well as on here. £30k is between T5 and T5.1 prices.
Yeah I’m in no rush. There is a nice looking one on AT and they have recently spent 12k on it. Recon engine, new DPF, turbos etc.it’s a 2010 year and up for 32k. It’s manual and done 90k I think. It’s the 180BHP engine so looks like all issues have been sorted…..

Yet the 140 doesn't seem to gain the same attention and is perfectly adequate for many people if you are worried by it.

The 140 doesn’t have the same issue as the 180
Is there a way to tell the difference visually between the 180 and 140. All the ads I have seen don’t really specify what BHP engine they have

Is there a way to tell the difference visually between the 180 and 140. All the ads I have seen don’t really specify what BHP engine they have

If they say bi-turbo it’s a 180.

Also if the “I” in TDI on the badge at the back is red it usually means 180, but don’t count on this.

If you get a 2013 / 2014 onwards then generally you don’t have to worry about getting a 180

If they say bi-turbo it’s a 180.

Also if the “I” in TDI on the badge at the back is red it usually means 180, but don’t count on this.

If you get a 2013 / 2014 onwards then generally you don’t have to worry about getting a 180
Just had a quick look at the badges on the rear of a few cars. Seems like the 180s have a red DI and the 140s have just the red I. I wouldn’t have even noticed this difference without this forum.

Back