Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Converted transporters

I think the point is that Calis don't result in responsibility ping-pong with VW and the conversion company pointing the finger at each other. Obviously, there are good and bad conversion companies so milage will vary, but with a Cali it is just VW in the loop.
I have had no "responsibility ping-pong". My converter was/is VW approved and the van came with the full VW warranty intact after conversion and is still covered by VW under extended warranty. Vehicle problems go to VW and habitation problems go to the converter - no "ping-pong".

I have had no "responsibility ping-pong". My converter was/is VW approved and the van came with the full VW warranty intact after conversion and is still covered by VW under extended warranty. Vehicle problems go to VW and habitation problems go to the converter - no "ping-pong".
When you sell it on, and when it’s subsequent owner sells it on who will have a relationship with the supplier of the parts required? Who will have the records of the manufacturer of the sink, the fridge, the doors, the beds, the gas cooker, the battery chargers, the heating module.

I’m sure that any other converter company will be able to source a similar part but Cali’s come with a parts catalogue and you can easily get like for like, at a hugely inflated price!!!!

I’m glad you’re happy, I’m sure your camper is excellent and fun and I wish you many happy smiles in it.

When you sell it on, and when it’s subsequent owner sells it on who will have a relationship with the supplier of the parts required? Who will have the records of the manufacturer of the sink, the fridge, the doors, the beds, the gas cooker, the battery chargers, the heating module.

I’m sure that any other converter company will be able to source a similar part but Cali’s come with a parts catalogue and you can easily get like for like, at a hugely inflated price!!!!

I’m glad you’re happy, I’m sure your camper is excellent and fun and I wish you many happy smiles in it.
My converter has a full inventory of all parts installed, make, model, part number and I have a copy. Most of the components are readily available from multiple suppliers so reasonable cost as there is competition - unlike VW. When I sell, the parts inventory goes with the vehicle and I inform the converter of the new owner. If the converter goes out of business I still know all the parts and can obtain them from almost any good converter, caravan supplier, Campervan Bits, eBay, Amazon or directly from the manufacturer. California's are excellent, as are some conversions.

We have a record of everything that was installed as part of the conversion, which came with a 3 year warranty.

It's all kept in a neat file ready for the next owner in the unlikely event that we sell the vehicle.

Should we ever have to seek parts, or need help with more technical issues, we can easily speak with our converter and go from there.

Equipment such as fridges, sinks, gas hobs etc are all available online or at your local camping / caravan retailers.

Each to his own

My converter has a full inventory of all parts installed, make, model, part number and I have a copy. Most of the components are readily available from multiple suppliers so reasonable cost as there is competition - unlike VW. When I sell, the parts inventory goes with the vehicle and I inform the converter of the new owner. If the converter goes out of business I still know all the parts and can obtain them from almost any good converter, caravan supplier, Campervan Bits, eBay, Amazon or directly from the manufacturer. California's are excellent, as are some conversions.
That's all great, I'm pleased for you, but you should accept that you are on a California forum, the majority of owners had the option of buying either a really, really expensive Cali or a really expensive VW conversion and they chose the former. Part of the reason that they choose a Cali are exact as described, it is a brand that is instantly recognisable and valuable.

Do you agree?
Of course you don't, the 'California' brand value is of less importance to you than others on this forum, if you were similarly minded you may have made different choices, but you're not and you didn't.

Last edited:
That's all great, I'm pleased for you, but you should accept that you are on a California forum, the majority of owners had the option of buying either a really, really expensive Cali or a really expensive VW conversion and they chose the former. Part of the reason that they choose a Cali are exact as described, it is a brand that is instantly recognisable and valuable.

Do you agree?
Of course you don't, the 'California' brand value is of less importance to you than others on this forum, if you were similarly minded you may have made different choices, but you're not and you didn't.
Dear oh dear!! California's are great so are some conversions! Maybe be more open minded?

I did say your mileage may vary. You have a converter at the good end of the spectrum, thats excellent, I'm glad you are happy. It does not however mean they are all like that - for some buyers, the choice of converter in itself is a stressful decision. With a Cali you know exactly what you will get and it is backed by an automotive giant, with a spare parts commitment on everything down to the smallest plastic clip (at extortionate prices).

If I didn’t live in Europe, then a conversion would have been way up the priority list ... the massive disadvantage of Calis for UK buyers is the sliding door on the drivers side, and the rotating passenger seat blocked by the sink IMO. A Cali is perfect in LHD

If I didn’t live in Europe, then a conversion would have been way up the priority list ... the massive disadvantage of Calis for UK buyers is the sliding door on the drivers side, and the rotating passenger seat blocked by the sink IMO. A Cali is perfect in LHD
Nope, the sliding door on the offside would be a problem if your passengers did not have easy walk through access to the front passenger door, it is easier to turn the drivers (steering wheel obstructed) seat with no kitchen behind. A Cali is perfect in RHD, IMHO.
Loving the none Cali owners on here telling us how great their conversions are, we all need a bit of humour during this miserable weather.

Having owned both.
This is one of the Californias biggest advantages. I actually prefer the sliding door on the drivers side. No more constant walking around the van, much easier for dropping shopping in and loading and unloading kiddos…

I too preferred the habitation door on the drivers side, I could reverse on to our drive tight against the boundary on the left but still fully access the Cali.

Nope, the sliding door on the offside would be a problem if your passengers did not have easy walk through access to the front passenger door, it is easier to turn the drivers (steering wheel obstructed) seat with no kitchen behind. A Cali is perfect in RHD, IMHO.
Loving the none Cali owners on here telling us how great their conversions are, we all need a bit of humour during this miserable weather.
In a thread entitled "Converted Transporters" where the OP invites thoughts on converted vans , it doesn't seem too unreasonable for "none Cali owners on here telling us how great their conversions are". What should we be doing - tugging our forelocks to the majority Cali-owners on here and telling you all that we made a poor choice? ;)

Personally, four years in with my Jerba (VW Partner Approved) Sanna LWB conversion I'm still entirely happy with the choice I made. The van layout suits us better than a Cali would have. I've had excellent after-sales service from Jerba, and perfectly ok servicing etc. from VW.

As to being on a Cali forum with a non-Cali van, personally I found some other forums too full of techie questions around self-conversions that didn't really interest me. Here most people bought the van to get on and use it, so there's a good mix of info about travel, campsites, VW news, general road-related issues, plus the odd opportunity like this to offer a little counter-balance to the prevailing view.

Horses for courses :cheers

I just flip up the armrest and get in and out the passenger side sliding door. I'm not particularly tall or wide .... just goes to show, everyone uses their van slightly differently. In Germany you will get fined if you park on the street against the flow of the traffic. e.g. park a Cali where the sliding door opens onto the road instead of the pavement. (This law doesn't apply to one-way streets).

I just flip up the armrest and get in and out the passenger side sliding door. I'm not particularly tall or wide .... just goes to show, everyone uses their van slightly differently. In Germany you will get fined if you park on the street against the flow of the traffic. e.g. park a Cali where the sliding door opens onto the road instead of the pavement. (This law doesn't apply to one-way streets).
So a UK Cali is set up perfectly for use in the likes of Germany?
In the uk we don’t have the same rules so perfect for use here as well.
As there is no steering wheel on the kitchen side it makes it very easy to walk through and exit via the front door on that side. Seems to me that a RHD Cali actually works best.

So a UK Cali is set up perfectly for use in the likes of Germany?
In the uk we don’t have the same rules so perfect for use here as well.
As there is no steering wheel on the kitchen side it makes it very easy to walk through and exit via the front door on that side. Seems to me that a RHD Cali actually works best.
The driver's seat in front of the steering wheel is a pita to rotate compared to the passenger seat and can't be reclined as far as the passenger seat.
The seat on the kitchen side rotates into the kitchen block so you have to sit with your legs squished on the left-hand side of the seat - or sit at an angle and the seat base isn't locked.

A LHD has both the rotation problem and the squished legs problem on the drivers side of the van.

A RHD has a squished legs problem on the passenger side, and is a pain to rotate/recline on the drivers side.

We end up just rotating the passenger side on our LHD van - it's easy to rotate and hasn't got leg space problems, and it reclines nicely without hitting the steering wheel.

A UK cali in Germany would indeed be great - both rear passengers and driver exit on the pavement side .... but you can't see to overtake, you are blind at many roundabouts, and both rotating seats have issues.

The driver's seat in front of the steering wheel is a pita to rotate compared to the passenger seat and can't be reclined as far as the passenger seat.

No it isn't once you've worked out where to position it to avoid hitting the steering wheel.

By sliding the base to wards the rear of the van the amount it reclines is the same.

The seat on the kitchen side rotates into the kitchen block so you have to sit with your legs squished on the left-hand side of the seat - or sit at an angle and the seat base isn't locked.

But still more room than on a LHD van as the lack of steering wheel means you can slide the seat closer to the dashboard. Gives a lot more room for your legs between the kitchen & the seat.

You've not convinced me yet. A RHD van where the passengers all have a choice of getting out the front passenger side or rear drivers side door wins for me.

Reactions: Doz
No it isn't once you've worked out where to position it to avoid hitting the steering wheel.

By sliding the base to wards the rear of the van the amount it reclines is the same.

But still more room than on a LHD van as the lack of steering wheel means you can slide the seat closer to the dashboard. Gives a lot more room for your legs between the kitchen & the seat.

You've not convinced me yet. A RHD van where the passengers all have a choice of getting out the front passenger side or rear drivers side door wins for me.
After spending 3 weeks driving a LHD van in the UK, it really is a pita for overtaking and roundabouts .... a RHD in Europe would be the same in reverse.

I can see that the passenger seat being on the kitchen side might make it a bit easier, but believe me, a seat with no kitchen intrusion or a steering wheel is optimal. If it wasn't, VW would not have built it as it is. Driving, entry/exit, and usage by couples is optimised with the LHD layout. I'm glad you are happy with the RHD version, but it wouldn't work for me in Europe. :cheers

After spending 3 weeks driving a LHD van in the UK, it really is a pita for overtaking and roundabouts .... a RHD in Europe would be the same in reverse.

I can see that the passenger seat being on the kitchen side might make it a bit easier, but believe me, a seat with no kitchen intrusion or a steering wheel is optimal. If it wasn't, VW would not have built it as it is. Driving, entry/exit, and usage by couples is optimised with the LHD layout. I'm glad you are happy with the RHD version, but it wouldn't work for me in Europe. :cheers
Recently returned from 3 weeks in France with my RHD van. Absolutely no problems at roundabouts, overtaking or at junctions. Driving on the other side really is no problem.

Have done about 20,000miles in a RHD abroad never had a problem, apart from, toll booths & thats sorted with a Tag

With a Cali you know exactly what you will get .

That’s the problem. Lots of newer vans seem to be plagued with issues, faced with a long lead time to get problems sorted; how can a sagging elevating roof be described by VW as normal!?

A decent converted van has more generic conversion parts, so is easier to fix quickly
if an issue should arise. We have owned 3 conversions in the past (Bilbo, Viking & Westy), and happy to now own a Beach.

Conversions may not look as polished (ie - curtains i/o fitted blinds) but they will stand the test of time.

Residuals on good conversions are equal to a Cali. Sold all our previous vans for more than purchase price, but we’re all 15-20yrs old!

All campers are great vehicles, just a case of choosing the one that works best for your needs.

Last edited:
Buy from a well respected Conversion company and you won't have trouble resale.

I didn't lose a penny on a Bodans Camper I had for near 6 years...infact it gained a good lump in value.

Which allowed the purchase of my California.. Why a Cali after a Conversion?

Well the factory finish is just better, everything is manufactured better and put together better...plus the bonus of an onboard toilet room and the L Shaped kitchen is just better than the side kitchen layout. Full standing height throughout is also great compared to the converted pop top.

There is no right and wrong answer though.

Buy from a well respected Conversion company and you won't have trouble resale.

I didn't lose a penny on a Bodans Camper I had for near 6 years...infact it gained a good lump in value.

Which allowed the purchase of my California.. Why a Cali after a Conversion?

Well the factory finish is just better, everything is manufactured better and put together better...plus the bonus of an onboard toilet room and the L Shaped kitchen is just better than the side kitchen layout. Full standing height throughout is also great compared to the converted pop top.

There is no right and wrong answer though.
Your 3rd & 4th paragraphs have me confused!
But agree with the 5th!

Your 3rd & 4th paragraphs have me confused!
But agree with the 5th!
I just find the fit and finish better on the factory models, somehow everything is more integrated and we'll er Factory.

The great resale value of my Bodans allowed me use the van for 6 years and sell it for more than my purchase price. Thus allowing me to own my dream camper... A California

Back