Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forgive me; I wandered.

Simon Higgens

Simon Higgens

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Having previously had three wonderful Californias, I opted for a Mercedes Sprinter based Hymer Gran Canyon in September 2020 as it gave me an integral toilet and shower (I’m a fair-weather camper). What a mistake that was - build quality and ride was very poor and, you’ll be pleased to hear, I have now returned to the nest with a 2021 California Ocean. Am I forgiven?3989EDF4-2049-45CB-BE0C-13541C772196.jpeg

Those Mercedes vans are really really big. Oddly, inside it’s not as big as the outside suggests. The one we looked at, didn’t feel as practical as the Fiat chassis vans.
I genuinely find the Mercedes platform I little odd for van conversions.

Well done - good move ! What persuaded you to move down in size?
We tended to use our previous Californias as motorhomes (well tried to) which they clearly aren’t designed for. Once we got our head around the fact that you need to use other add ones, such as an awning and tailgate tent, we truly got the Californian spirit. So now, we are really happy in Betsy. Also, the Hymer was so noisy and the build quality really poor. 2C10B5E9-B3CC-4C6F-A97C-497F96C853E3.jpeg

Those Mercedes vans are really really big. Oddly, inside it’s not as big as the outside suggests. The one we looked at, didn’t feel as practical as the Fiat chassis vans.
Build quality poor compared to the Cali and the road noise/whistle quite off putting.

My daughter is on her 2nd Sprinter which she had converted to her own spec, partly to be similar to the first one which was LWB and had been converted for MX with a garage in the back. Current one is standard length and built for carrying a lot of paddleboards. She's always found them spacious enough, it's the way they're converted that makes the difference.
But what makes all the difference for me is having a 'go anywhere' vehicle - ie local rather tight car park in our old rural town - She's happy to walk or run a couple of miles if she can't park!

Fiat chassis is much better because of the extra Width...that and they won't rust in 10 years

Fiat chassis is much better because of the extra Width...that and they won't rust in 10 years
Agree. We’ve had 2 Mercs in the past, first about 15 years ago was okay, the most recent was absolutely awful, riddled with rust. Went back on corrosion warranty 6 times and when we PX’d it I knew it was coming again. Electrics were failing in various areas too. You see so many 5-10 year old rusty Mercs. I will never EVER have another Merc.

Agree. We’ve had 2 Mercs in the past, first about 15 years ago was okay, the most recent was absolutely awful, riddled with rust. Went back on corrosion warranty 6 times and when we PX’d it I knew it was coming again. Electrics were failing in various areas too. You see so many 5-10 year old rusty Mercs. I will never EVER have another Merc.
Cars and Vans the same... I had an ML, it wasn't cheap...but the rust started appearing left right and centre.. My little 10 year old DS3 I use for commuting has much much less rust..infact Zero. Merc vans are just rot boxes.

Been happy with ours, only warranty issue was one cabinet hinge failure and a piece of warped trim.
Agree about handling especially with poptop adding extra weight, rectified by fitting VB full air to rear.
Wouldn't go back as we need the space, two kids, bikes, paddleboards plus plus plus.
Love the extra height, toilet and less faff.
Cali great when kids were smaller but not now, For two of us would seriously consider Westfalia Joker club joker however 90k?

Back