Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forgive the naivety T6 Charging

calibeach76

calibeach76

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
hi all

if I plug the beach in using the 240v camping mains lead will this keep both the vehicle and 12v leisure battery charged or just the latter? my gut tells me I'd need a split charger like the ctek or similar but as always I defer to superior knowledge to confirm.

hope you all are keeping safe and well.

jon

Take your multimeter (if you have one) and measure on the starter battery after 24 hours. Then your leisure battery should be topped up.
If your starter battery doesn't measure over 12,6V, then it doesn't charge the starter battery.
Just don't put on hookup while charging the starter battery. I did it once and noticed some strange things happening (charger really hot, current draw on visible on the control panel of my T5.1 Comfortline (now this would be Ocean)).

This is my starter battery on 230V hookup without extra charger:
IMG_20200324_111745.jpg

The charge to the engine battery on hook-up is only a trickle charge (at 13.6volts) so this will not fully charge a flat engine battery but just maintain the charge. For a full charge for the engine battery (from flat), you will need to use a separate battery charger. One of the Ctek range is popular.

Alan