Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forum Censorship

D

danny13

VIP Member
One wonders how many posts get disapproved by the somewhat over zealous moderators on this site.

I'm currently running at about 10% of my posts being rejected, whatever happened to freedom of speech! :censor

danny13 said:
One wonders how many posts get disapproved by the somewhat over zealous moderators on this site.

I'm currently running at about 10% of my posts being rejected, whatever happened to freedom of speech! :censor

It comes with self responsibility and you have to exercise it

James

Hmmm it often comes at the detriment of the forum members, but hey ho

for anyone interested this new advert
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3247

The vendor, Phil has been flagged twice within this forum as a home trader....I tried to place a warning on the advert, obviously this was deemed as 'off topic' :censor

Caveat emptor :thumb

I must admit it looks a nice bus ....so as a home trader what does this mean he can't trade or not aloud to trade from his house ..??!!!????

Danny,

In my view your post was removed to protect the seller of the vehicle whilst it is further investigated. For what it's worth you may be right, he may be a trader but that is a matter for the Admin to resolve with the seller in question. The amount of profit if any is not really of anyone else's concern except the seller and any potential buyer.

You've done your bit and alerted someone, now let the Admin roll with it and sort it out.

You would like to be afforded the same service if it were your for sale advert.

Be assured there are no underhand censorship tactics being observed by the moderation team.

The mods on here do such a good job, they are enthusiast owners who are very friendly and helpful.

If you want to reduce your 10% then may I suggest you allow them to do their job, moderate and consider each post.

:thanks

Carrg said:
The mods on here do such a good job, they are enthusiast owners who are very friendly and helpful.

If you want to reduce your 10% then may I suggest you allow them to do their job, moderate and consider each post.

:thanks

Agreed :)

Danny

This has now all been resolved with the seller and we are happy this is a private sale.

The only reason your post was deleted is because it was very unfair to the person who had paid to place an advert on the website, if you had any concerns it would of been much better to have emailed myself or one of the other staff members and we would of happily looked into this for you.

As for deleting posts we are very lucky on this forum to have such a great bunch of members and apart from the thousands of spam posts we get each year I can probably count the amount of posts deleted on one hand in the past 16 months

Is it not fair to highlight the potentially hidden history of a vehicle?

danny13 said:
Is it not fair to highlight the potentially hidden history of a vehicle?

Yes and No.

What you claim to have revealed with regard to the 4Mo Pre Facelift currently advertised is that it was bought more cheaply 6 months ago. So what?? Nothing untoward to be seen there.

If you bought a house and then 6 months later attempted to sell it for more money would you expect or indeed consider it reasonable that your neighbours tell potential purchasers of your potential profit and ward them off?

If however you knew for example a vehicle had been made an Insurance total loss and this wasn't being divulged by the seller then I'm sure any potential buyer would be keen to hear your news.

Best mods on any forum I've seen on here.

When you get sponsorship of a site, and you get money changing hands, you get censorship.

The sinister thing about censorship is that you don't know how much is being censored.

And censorship sits uncomfortably with those who had tears of joy in their eyes when the Berlin Wall came down.

I enjoy this forum.

It is blessedly free of the backbiting nastiness that seems to infect other forums connected in one way or another to our common lifestyle interest.

To raise the spectre of iron curtain censorship and repression of free speech within the context of moderating on a forum which, for most, is a resounding success as a community-spirited help, advice and conversation forum is churlish to say the least.

The moderating team have a responsibility to protect all members, whether sponsors, paying advertisers or just ordinary contributors such as myself. Sometimes we may disagree, sometimes agree, sometimes even applaud, but I for one am grateful for the light-handed moderation that goes on.

Granny jean,
You are right, I agree with you 100%

This is an amazingly good natured and helpful Forum and I for one have never had anything rejected.
Makes you wonder what was said to get to the 10% target, oops, level!

Oops! Sorry Grannyjen, the computer took over there and adjusted your name.

DavidofHook said:
I think at the time I only had 20 posts so it only took 2 to reach 10%. :thumb

Unfortunately it is still occurring on the adverts....A couple of weeks back a seller blatantly lied stating a corrosion free roof advert only for a member to point out he had made an entry in the main corrosion thread confessing to tinworm. The post on the advert warning/highlighting potential buyers of the discrepancy was quietly removed. :censor

(neither advert nor post was me :thumb )

only for a member to point out
Oh that was me !

It is difficult for the mods as the advertisers are paying to list their vehicle for sale, and there are not many other places to sell your car where you may get 'heckled'.

But, sellers should be aware that it currently takes just two clicks to go from their ad, to a list of their previous posts, where potential buyers can read about all the problems (and good times) they've had with their vehicle.

I think the mods are looking at a new advertising layout. Perhaps it should include the 'exclusion' of the forum name of the seller, although if I were a buyer, I'd appreciate the chance to review the ownership experience. I guess it just shows the difficulties of balancing the needs of potential buyers and sellers, both of which may be forum members.

danny13 said:
DavidofHook said:
I think at the time I only had 20 posts so it only took 2 to reach 10%. :thumb

Unfortunately it is still occurring on the adverts....A couple of weeks back a seller blatantly lied stating a corrosion free roof advert only for a member to point out he had made an entry in the main corrosion thread confessing to tinworm. The post on the advert warning/highlighting potential buyers of the discrepancy was quietly removed. :censor

(neither advert nor post was me :thumb )
Ah yes, take the point on the percentage

Normally computers taking over my name adjust it to granny cow, grannybitch or some other epithet so please pat your computer on the head and tell it that it is a rather nice computer :crazy

I once felt the need to congratulate forum sponsor ess em gee for consistently good phone advice and mail order sales service.

My post was put into into quarantine whilst it was checked for conformity. It was subsequently approved for publication in the state controlled media

But it does of course make you wonder about whether commentary and member feedback on forum sponsors is wholly representative, or whether like kate winslet, has the odd bit of airbrushing prior to publication every now and again.

When you get censored, folk start talking in code. All very John le carre. But remember to keep changing your code as big brother is watching.

GrannyJen said:
Normally computers taking over my name adjust it to granny cow, grannybitch or some other epithet so please pat your computer on the head and tell it that it is a rather nice computer :crazy
I have tried GrannyJen but it is laughing so much at your reply it won't let me! I'll try again later after it has calmed down.