Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Foul weather tested ......

Redrick Esq.

Redrick Esq.

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Having just spent the weekend on the Northumerland riviera

Weather was ok when we arrived at our chosen location, a little site colse to the beach very open with no shelter but that was fine and within 10 minutes the awning was out the roof popped up and the kettle on.

I did use the Thule tie down for the awning as i suspected that it may get fresher

This was a complete underestimation as a further half an hour of congratulating ourselves on our efficiency and choice of location the rqain started and the wind got worse to the point where the rain was horizontal.

I bottled it and put the awning back in and dropped the roof

Despite the weather being as bad as it could get IMO ( even my Barbour ( ironically a Northumberland) jacket let water in whilst walking the dog on the beach )we had a great time as I love taking on the elements and we were warm and cozy (possibly too warm in bed) with lovely food which was locally sourced and wine which wasnt.

All in all the Cali defeated the weather and we had a smashing relax

A couple of questions though

What sort of wind will the awning stand ?

How do you stop the front windows getting soaking wet with condensation ?

Weather was ok when we arrived at our chosen location, a little site colse to the beach very open with no shelter but that was fine and within 10 minutes the awning was out the roof popped up and the kettle on.

I did use the Thule tie down for the awning as i suspected that it may get fresher

This was a complete underestimation as a further half an hour of congratulating ourselves on our efficiency and choice of location the rqain started and the wind got worse to the point where the rain was horizontal.

Despite the weather being as bad as it could get IMO ( even my Barbour ( ironically a Northumberland) jacket let water in whilst walking the dog on the beach )we had a great time as I love taking on the elements and we were warm and cozy (possibly too warm in bed) with lovely food which was locally sourced and wine which wasnt.

I don't know about the awning, I never use it, but I've had the roof up at over 50 mph, although not recommended for a good nights sleep.

Regarding condensation, are you talking overnight or daytime with three of you in the van all breathing out litres of water vapour? Nightime I use external screens. Even with just one up and the roof up my windscreen this time of year would have heavy condensation on it if I used the internal blinds, unless I left some windows opened. Roof down then other means of ventilation is essential to avoid condensation.

Basically, if you are wondering if it is too windy then take it down. It is an expensive replacement. Wind, gusts, change in direction etc: there are really too many variables to give a definitive figure.
Condensation is all down to ventilation of the van. Plenty of window cowls or inserts to keep the rain out but inprove ventilation.
Don't be fooled by claims that external insated covers get rid of condensation. Without adequate ventilation they just warm the windscreen and move the condensation to the body panels in kitchen and wardrobe cupboards which are not insulated.

If it's going to be very windy I'll always bring the awning in. Its like having a large sail attached to your van. Just one good gust can cause a lot of damage unless it's properly nailed down. So my advice would be only use in mild conditions, always secure it down with a proper tie down kit and if you are going to leave the van unattended for any length of time then retract it.

One more thing on awnings, if it's going to rain you must drop one leg about 30cm otherwise the awning will turn into a very effective water storage facility which if not emptied can end up damaging the awning.

Dubfectas or similar enable you to have the front windows slightly open without the wind and rain coming in. This extra ventilation helps enormously to cut down condensation.

As mentioned above air/ventilation is key. I often leave the external one away and only install the „reimo“ kitchen window. When it gets to cold I close the window a little bit or use the driver side ones.

Back