Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France & North Spain in August

whistlingdogg

whistlingdogg

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone. We are planning to go spend 3 weeks travelling down the west coast if France to northern Spain and then back home. I want to take 3-4 days to get to Spain (possibly more but spend a good two weeks in northern Spain.

I’ve read a few threads and found what seem like great campsites but was wondering from people’s experience, do you need to book these in advance.

We spent 2 weeks last Easter exploring Scotland and I booked what turned out to be fantastic places but it was all a bit too planned and I think we would have preferred to stay in a couple of places a bit longer hence my question.

Any recommendations totally welcome. It’ll be 2 adults, 2 kids (12&13) and our dog. I’ve booked the Eurotunnel already on a flex ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. We are planning to go spend 3 weeks travelling down the west coast if France to northern Spain and then back home. I want to take 3-4 days to get to Spain (possibly more but spend a good two weeks in northern Spain.

I’ve read a few threads and found what seem like great campsites but was wondering from people’s experience, do you need to book these in advance.

We spent 2 weeks last Easter exploring Scotland and I booked what turned out to be fantastic places but it was all a bit too planned and I think we would have preferred to stay in a couple of places a bit longer hence my question.

Any recommendations totally welcome. It’ll be 2 adults, 2 kids (12&13) and our dog. I’ve booked the Eurotunnel already on a flex ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were in northern Spain last summer and I would recommend booking a few sites. The main reason - you have children! There are some cracking sites but it can get very busy in the popular areas. The weather is a bit unpredictable as well - last summer was quite wet. But it is a lovely area.
We love just pulling up and taking our chance but we are two adults that just enjoy touring - different matter with kids in tow (ours are now adults).

Hi we have been travelling around Biarritz to Santander the last couple of summers and we are heading there now. We have not booked camping in advance. It can get crowded specially during weekends but we have always managed to get a site. We travel with kids and as you say the freedom of not having a plan is one of the benefits of a cali. We usually call ahead a couple of days before, wild camping works also in the smaller towns.

I would most definitely recommend you book for sites on the coast. Booking Sites further inland is not required as there will always be spaces.
The Spanish are far more relaxed about bookings and few people in Spain will book a site months in advance unless as I say in the popular coastal parts.
I was only ever turned away from one campsite near Mundaka and was told that all the other sites along the coast were all fully booked..

We stayed at Sequoia Park (nr Ile de Oleron) in very late August 2017 and they had loads of pitches available.

We also got a pitch at La Rive last year in late August no problem but it was very expensive for the 5 of us.

Biscarosse Plage and Dune du Pilat are well worth a visit if you're near.