Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August travelling without reservations

Stow

Stow

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,
I have three weeks booked to skirt eastern France and then turn across the south to the Pyrenees before heading to Bilbao ferry. We have booked sites in advance all the way to the Pyrenees as we want to take in the Tour de France, and we have a few bookings at the massive sites to keep the kids happy.

How easy will it be to take it day by day without booking between Beziers to Biarritz to Bilbao at this time of year? We can't really be hunting out a pitch at 5pm with small kids in the back, but we don't want to have an entire 3 week trip mapped out in advance with little flexibility on where we go. How busy will the south be at this time? Booking compulsory?

Thanks.

Never had an issue, but we do try to avoide the crowds.

Hi all,
I have three weeks booked to skirt eastern France and then turn across the south to the Pyrenees before heading to Bilbao ferry. We have booked sites in advance all the way to the Pyrenees as we want to take in the Tour de France, and we have a few bookings at the massive sites to keep the kids happy.

How easy will it be to take it day by day without booking between Beziers to Biarritz to Bilbao at this time of year? We can't really be hunting out a pitch at 5pm with small kids in the back, but we don't want to have an entire 3 week trip mapped out in advance with little flexibility on where we go. How busy will the south be at this time? Booking compulsory?

Thanks.
Busy as anything but if you have to use the school hols you have little choice, I would think the inland sites would be hot but possible.

The only way to be sure of finding a free spot, is to keep away from the coast, rivers, water, big cities. Try to find more inland campings with no swimming pools, restaurants, or other facilities.
That is because I don't like too crowded campings. I don't need restaurant and pool.
With children, this may be more of an issue, and as I see, it is quite in the crowded area.
If you end up in big, too famous cities or places, it might be hard to find a pitch without booking.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Check out the French Municipal sites. Lots of small towns/villages have them. Good basic facilities, well kept and clean. Rarely full and often no pre-booking. Often sited near the centre in a park or next to a Leisure facility .

Don't forget you have a Cali, park and sleep anywhere if all sites booked up. Being in a car with kids, then panic, but the joys of a Cali, chill and relax, booked up, no probs, ive already got two double beds ;-)

If you’re inland you have more chance of finding something..we drove all day somedays on the coast and rivers being told we’re full,......Montpellier and the bottom coast was nuts busy,,mostly in hotspots but a few miles inland you find some beautiful sites that are a pleasure....away from the madness..Unfortunately for us it’s always in school holidays ...i imagine if u are out of holidays you would have no problems ...

Phoning ahead in the morning is the best bet during the season. We have always been able to stay were we wanted doing this. Turning up after 4pm without a booking can be problematic.

Don’t forget that most towns have Aires which are designed for motorhomes and campervans and have water supply and drainage available. Some also have toilet blocks.

Alan

Don't foreget the AIres (not motorway ones). If you get stuck then they can be a lifesaver for an odd night or two. Usually no facilities but generally easy enough to find a loo in a supermarket/garage.
It's likely to be as busy as the coast inland in some parts of the Pyrenees, very popular in the summer.

Phoning ahead in the morning is the best bet during the season. We have always been able to stay were we wanted doing this. Turning up after 4pm without a booking can be problematic.

Don’t forget that most towns have Aires which are designed for motorhomes and campervans and have water supply and drainage available. Some also have toilet blocks.

Alan
I agree with Alan. We tend to choose the general direction of travel. I drive and my wife starts calling from 10am. We’ve travelled through France, Belgium, Andorra, Spain, Austria, Italy and Germany and as long as your flexible, always found a site. In fact we never book sites now as it removes the ‘adventure’ element from the holidays.