Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France: -ve test needed from 4 December 21

Plenty of places have these rules already. Recent trip to Ghana needed a PCR test before departure and a pre-paid $150 antigen test on arrival. By contrast this week in Portugal I discovered they give free tests to travellers so it varies country to country. Personally I am happy to jump through the hoops if it lets me see family.

PS the link you posted is for subscribers only so anyone clicking can’t see it, at least that’s what happened to me.

Here we go again in time for Xmas and ski trips: In addition to the restrictive inbound UK test, it seems all travellers vaccinated or not will need a negative test to enter France from a non EU country.

Also need proof of Booster jab from 14th December.

NHS App now shows all 3 jabs when travel Certificate required.

Anyone going into Switzerland basically can no longer do it for skiing as quarantine rule now enforced for all entrants.

Last edited:
it seems all travellers vaccinated or not will need a negative test to enter France from a non EU country
This is what I don’t get. If you’re vaccinated you can enter from Spain while infected, no test required?
Doesn’t it make more sense to demand a recent negative antigen result from everyone, EU or not?

This is what I don’t get. If you’re vaccinated you can enter from Spain while infected, no test required?
Doesn’t it make more sense to demand a recent negative antigen result from everyone, EU or not?
Might be related to EU Member Countries having (in theory) open borders.

Whats the point of the booster if you have Covid at present.
Plus, i don't think you can have a booster for 8 weeks after a positive result...
Therefore, France is off the menu for skiing this year, if you get Covid in December.

Whats the point of the booster if you have Covid at present.
Plus, i don't think you can have a booster for 8 weeks after a positive result...
Therefore, France is off the menu for skiing this year, if you get Covid in December.
You can't get into France if in contact with anyone who has Covid during the past 14 days or have any of the Covid related symptoms. Declaration entry Form.
Possibly enter but subject to quarantine & testing I believe.

Rules vary from day to day making it difficult to be fully compliant.

fortunately my recent trip was completed before PCR came back in. Would have added £120 to cost for 2 of us. That was the cost to upgrade the 2 day Lateral to PCR.

Switzerland are trying to keep out Omnicrom. I was supposed to go next week but being in Portugal this week means I cannot travel to Zurich until a week later so that one is out until January.

Booster can be 28 days after a positive test. My understanding is french are only insisting on booster jab proof for anyone over 65 unless that’s changed

We are meant to be travelling to France in a couple of weeks with a 12 and 14 yr old; which is where the biggest issues lie. The pass sanitaire is needed to access the ski lifts now, as well as restaurants etc., which means they both need a test every 24hrs despite both having had the single jab on offer over here. Me and Mrs KB don’t need any further testing once on French soil as stands (fully vaccinated ie. 2 jabs), but it looks like we’ll need a test before departing the UK now along with the kids; but that can be antigen (LFT) rather than PCR and can now be within 48hrs of departure rather than the 24hr requirement yesterday! Who knows what it will be tomorrow, but I am now in a place where I would rather they stopped unvaccinated travellers fully (ie. the kids, 1 jab doesn’t count) so the trip will be cancelled and refunded rather than impose the massive inconvenience of 24hr testing but allow us to go (and thus meaning we either have to go or cancel and lose the money). First world problems for sure, but all rather frustrating.

I looked into going up to Bordeaux this weekend, LFT is 22eur in any pharmacy so it’s not a huge pita (multiplied by two kids it’s not cheap though)

We are meant to be travelling to France in a couple of weeks with a 12 and 14 yr old; which is where the biggest issues lie. The pass sanitaire is needed to access the ski lifts now, as well as restaurants etc., which means they both need a test every 24hrs despite both having had the single jab on offer over here. Me and Mrs KB don’t need any further testing once on French soil as stands (fully vaccinated ie. 2 jabs), but it looks like we’ll need a test before departing the UK now along with the kids; but that can be antigen (LFT) rather than PCR and can now be within 48hrs of departure rather than the 24hr requirement yesterday! Who knows what it will be tomorrow, but I am now in a place where I would rather they stopped unvaccinated travellers fully (ie. the kids, 1 jab doesn’t count) so the trip will be cancelled and refunded rather than impose the massive inconvenience of 24hr testing but allow us to go (and thus meaning we either have to go or cancel and lose the money). First world problems for sure, but all rather frustrating.

Its this sort of mess that put me off travelling this year.
Ive stayed confined to Blighty for nearly two years, but now I’m ready to travel.
The only answer is to book the night before and go, choosing a country/destination which has the best set of circumstances.

For me at present.
Austria re-opens in a week, might be the best bet after they’ve just had a lockdown…

Its this sort of mess that put me off travelling this year.
Ive stayed confined to Blighty for nearly two years, but now I’m ready to travel.
The only answer is to book the night before and go, choosing a country/destination which has the best set of circumstances.

For me at present.
Austria re-opens in a week, might be the best bet after they’ve just had a lockdown…
Will be interesting to see how Austria responds, yes lockdown ends on 13th but other areas this is not the case until 17th and May be extended. Czech is shut and likely to stay so, and Switzerland is obviously no longer an option from the U.K.

There is general uncertainty across Europe, the problem seems to be convincing the unvaxxed to get a jab and talk of enforcement is making it worse not better. Germany is now banning unvaccinated from a number of specific activities which seems the only sensible way to do it (no jab you can’t come in but your choice..).

In the resorts things seem to be fine if you can get there, and still seeing airports busy, but people seem to forget there is an issue and just crowd together to board, onto buses etc so no wonder travel related infections are high. As a family we are sticking to our plans and driving, no contact risk of compulsory isolation, no hassle for restaurants and accommodation. Have the advantage of living 2 hours from the slopes but if you are flexible, no reason why you can’t get out there. Just be prepared that the “there” you end up in May not be the “there” you are aiming for!

I was hoping to get out for a long weekend before Christmas. But that is looking unlikely.
I’ve driven over to the slopes a couple of times. To be honest, it sounds the more sensible option at present. Just need a day either side for the travelling. Which is fine, if my mates can share the responsibility of driving.
I wish the Alps was a bit closer…

I was hoping to get out for a long weekend before Christmas. But that is looking unlikely.
I’ve driven over to the slopes a couple of times. To be honest, it sounds the more sensible option at present. Just need a day either side for the travelling. Which is fine, if my mates can share the responsibility of driving.
I wish the Alps was a bit closer…
Just go for a surf over here instead, been some amazing waves in the UK recently.

Rules can change at any time so always going to be a risk travelling overseas at the moment.

Also need proof of Booster jab from 14th December.
I can't find a reference to that in any of the travel advice sites. Can you share a link to where you read it?

Going into a pharmacy in France is not the answer. If I have read it right you need a “fit to fly” 48 hrs before travel. It’s not an arrival test in france

Its not getting into a foreign country that bothers me. (Double jabbed and boosted). It's getting back into the UK when noone knows what restrictions may be imposed at a moments notice.

It’s a risk that has been there for the last year! Don’t think it’s going to change for a while. any overseas travel is going to run the risk of last minute changes.

Well after having planned a lazy week next week without needing to travel our Swiss friends have changed the rules again to open up for anyone with a PCR test. How quick it changes!!!!