Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fraron charger installation

Raindogs

Raindogs

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello forum
I have bought the Fraron charger to replace the original one under the fridge since it went up in smoke. There are a few theads on the subject in here - which made me wiser and more confused at the same time

There is a piece og paper describing the installation: a german one - and an english one with about the third amount of text in poor english.

It apears to be pretty much plug and play-ish - however: it is hinted that you need to add a fuse on the cord - but I’m unsure weather that’s true?

Anyone know this?

Best regards
René

NB: it’s a 1994 Cali

....a fuse on the cord....probaly means this

IMG_1528.PNG

I agree - it probably does. Question is: is it needed? The instructions are inclear in my experience

Hi, not sure if it helps, but when i had to fit the Fraron in an emergency (had one shipped to the campsite whilst on holiday. I fitted without the inline fuse, i left it like that without issue.
I did eventually tidy up the installation some time later, but can't remember if i then fitted the additional fuse?
Think i did - anyway, just to say that you can fit it without, but of course adding the fuse is never a bad thing to do...

Thank you, bxl_lad... I’m getting some help from an electro mecanic tomorrow ... I don’t understand why they didn’t just put it on the chord if it is needed :)

I Initially installed mine without this additional fuse but since I've added a multi-fuse rail for a number of other bits and bobs and I used one fuse on there from the charger to the battery. The quick guide is a little misleading as it says there's no mention. I suppose it's just extra safety as the original charger didn't have a fuse between the charger and battery. It also recommends a fuse for the secondary output too if you chose to you that. I've got that tied into the starter battery so I still need to sort that. I've used a 25amp fuse so far but I'm wondering if thats too big. I might try 20 as thats its max rated output.

I’ve fitted mine with the help from this forum and for somebody with zero electrical skills , this was easy enough.
013b1a29070cc68cf8ddfa4a296d1756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back