Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Freezing weather water tank drain idea

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
For the last two years I have followed the advice given in the owner's manual and from other members on the forum to drain the fresh water tank in cold weather to avoid damage in freezing conditions - rotating the passenger seat to gain access to the water pump fuse which needs to be removed to ensure a proper drain of the system. But this year, I bought one of these....

20191119_083409.jpg

which is originally intended to facilitate an additional feed from a fuse socket.

But by a slight re-thinking of how it works it's possible to make a switch for the relevant water pump fuse like this...

20181221_213112.jpg

I replaced the original fuse with this device. The fuse is now switched and can be turned off without removal. The dangling switch is attached to the seat base framework with a cable tie and is easy to reach whilst being out of the way.

Without swivelling the chair and removing the fuse, I can now isolate or re-activate the water pump with ease.

Nice idea, have you thought about adding a relay to save the tap switch contact from burnout?

Great idea neatly done.

I always think its odd that there isn't some sort of master power switch. I originally thought that was the point of the rcd's in the back cupboard but found out the annoying way when replacing the roof bed light.