Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining the water system -T6 Ocean?

C

CaliforniaSteve

Steve B
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
The manual says that the water pump fuse must be removed to drain the water system. However the fuse layout under the left hand seat is very different from the diagram shown in the Owner's manual.
How do I locate the correct fuse or can I drain the system without turning the pump off?

Welcome on your first post,
as most others with a Q .....

Are you planning to go to places where it is going to freeze inside your Cali ?
If so you need to do this.
If not , just open the tap on the watertank and let the water pour out of the rear left wheelacre...

Lots been discussed on the forum on draining water .
On fuses also but some fuse-issues stay unsolved.....you know why pretty soon:D
Use the search function and Alladins cave will open

Ps: very clever to read the manual to start with ....:thumb

The manual says that the water pump fuse must be removed to drain the water system. However the fuse layout under the left hand seat is very different from the diagram shown in the Owner's manual.
How do I locate the correct fuse or can I drain the system without turning the pump off?
Sure you've sorted this by now but just in case I read advice on here about simply disconnecting the bayonet power lead to the tap.
Found mine, remove the cutlery drawer and wire was tucked into a hole at the top of the cupboard hidden inside a piece of foam. Excellent for stopping any noise issues and was well impressed by how tidy all the wiring and construction was even in spots you cannot normally see. Finding the right fuse is far more of a challenge so I shall be following this method.

Mike

There are only 2 5A fuses, 1 is the pump the other is the display...
this was my layout.
View attachment 23646
Thanks for that. As you know fiddly things. I pulled one of the 5amp then decided to seek out the bayonet. Now I know.
Also no surprise I had to reset the display this morning.
Saved your pic.

Getting to know the Cali a little better which is a good thing.

Mike

Rightly or wrongly I have never removed the fuse when I have drained the fresh water tank. (think I have must have missed it in the handbook :shocked) I guess the fuse is advised to be removed so you can't run the tap on empty (although the van is supplied empty with fuse in).
Thanks Loz helpful info/picture on fuse layout :thumb.

It's so you can open the tap and let the water run back and empty the pipe.
good job we live in the sunny south.

It is quite difficult to remove the fuse to the water pump to drain the water system. I have found a fuse "extender" which could be used to easier find the correct fuse and very easy remove it, even without turning the seat. See picture. The "extender" fits in the fuse holder, and can hold two fuses; one for the original source (water pump) and one spare for the red cable. I am not using the red cable to feed 12V to a device (yet).
Now it is very easy to drain the water pipe in the sink after each trip during the cold months.

https://www.conrad.se/Flats%e4kring...-swe&pi=841115&ci=SHOP_AREA_17289_0217620

File 2017-12-12, 10 56 46.jpeg

Last edited:
Good idea

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No need to panic yet I guess but worth bumping this thread (or winterisation threads in general) right about now?

Totally missed this, thought it had some system that when the car was off that it opened a back flush valve in the pump and drained the pipe.

Well that fuse was an elusive one! I got it out but it flew away in under the seat where it’s bolted to the floor. Took me a good five minutes to find it and then another five to pry it out :headbang but now we’re winter ready and I know what to do after winter trips.
:thanks

Back