Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French camp sites

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello All

Looking to step out and venture across to France for a week, any recommendations to what campsite to visit!

Was thinking of traveling around 100 to 200 miles from the French side of the channel tunnel and a family friendly site with stuff to keep the kids busy.

The camping and caravan club sites are all good :thumb

Château du Gandspette, 20 mins from Calais is very good if you don't want to venture to far.

From there you can get to many places of interest, e.g., Ypres, Le Touquet, Montreuil etc.

The onsite restaurant/bistro is very good value also.

We have also stayed at Château du Gandspette, nice site in good location, also a very good vet just round the corner for anyone taking their dog on hols with them to get your pet passport done.

Only downside with the site is it is full of brits and feel like you are back in the UK. Perfect for a one nighter though.

We didn't bother hooking up to electricity at all whilst in France last year, so don't really know whether a power adaptor is required.

France is a pretty big country and we have a lot of rural areas... perfect for wild camping ! So far I've never been in a camp site with the Cali.

Thanks for all replies I think it's a toss up between Kawan Village Le Lac d'Orient or Château du Gandspette

Has anyone been to kawan village and how long does the drive take from Calais

Derry said:
Thanks for all replies I think it's a toss up between Kawan Village Le Lac d'Orient or Château du Gandspette

Has anyone been to kawan village and how long does the drive take from Calais
If you are talking about lac d'orient as in same place as the French meet next month it is about three and a half hours on the péage roads . It's a very good stop over location. I stayed here a couple of years ago on the way back from the Alps.

The misses has thrown a swerve ball in.....

And would like to go to Belgium on or near the coast any recommendations :headbang

Derry said:
The misses has thrown a swerve ball in.....

And would like to go to Belgium on or near the coast any recommendations :headbang

Belgium - Niewpoort is a nice seaside town.... plenty of camping there.

Niewpoort looked okay when I was there, but we were out on a boat all day, so didn't do too much around the town.

It has a beach area, then there is the older part of town around the marina/port. Some decent bars and restaurants in that area.

There is a tram system joining it all up.

Can't comment on the campsite as was in hotels for that trip, but I think someone on the boat was camping and was walking from the campsite to the marina.

Worth booking as it gets busy - I left booking hotels to the last minute and had a hell of a job finding places to stay. I'd guess campsite is similar.

Enjoy!
dan

ps. seem to remember that you are not far from me (Hemel) so if you need a Euro adaptor for hookup, you are welcome to borrow ours.