Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French Toll Roads

• Thread starter smgcowfoldparts
  • Start date
smgcowfoldparts

smgcowfoldparts

Trade Advertiser
We are driving to the South of France in August and I want to get the electronic tag that goes at the top of my windscreen for the tolls. I had a quick search on here but couldn't find any posts that alluded to where these are purchased etc...

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Have just signed up for one - arrived very quickly. 2-3 days.

Thanks for that Kev. Will probably get one of those.

cheers

Just one point, don't use the sticky back thingy to mount it permanently on the screen.
It's a give away that you have one and it's not unknown for vehicles to be broken into to steal them. The price the tolls are now it's hardly surprising.
Also it wont always work there, sometimes we end up waving it out of the window to make it play.
If it fails (batteries seem to last about 5-6 years) the toll operator (if there is one) can scan the bar code on it.

briwy said:
Just one point, don't use the sticky back thingy to mount it permanently on the screen.
It's a give away that you have one and it's not unknown for vehicles to be broken into to steal them. The price the tolls are now it's hardly surprising.
Also it wont always work there, sometimes we end up waving it out of the window to make it play.
If it fails (batteries seem to last about 5-6 years) the toll operator (if there is one) can scan the bar code on it.

I'm a bit behind the curve here I know but I'm playing catch up. Anyway, this made me laugh :shocked

You don't stick it in the recommended and optimum position on your windscreen and then complain it doesn't work :laugh2

Mine is stuck where it is supposed to be and touch wood it's never failed me. If it gets stolen then yes i'll be pi$$ed but I'll simply log into my account and suspend it.

Stu said:
briwy said:

I'm a bit behind the curve here I know but I'm playing catch up. Anyway, this made me laugh :shocked

You don't stick it in the recommended and optimum position on your windscreen and then complain it doesn't work :laugh2

Mine is stuck where it is supposed to be and touch wood it's never failed me. If it gets stolen then yes i'll be pi$$ed but I'll simply log into my account and suspend it.

Yes and I guess you'll be very happy that someone has smashed open your van to get at at it Stu ?? It's not the fact the thing has been stolen it's the damage they cause getting it.

Perhaps it does work OK in the Cali on the windscreen but I can definitely say it won't work on some of the vehicles we have had.

I think it's a sad fact of life that anything we have in our vehicle is considered fair game for thieves and it's certainly not limited to toll payment devices but where do you draw the line?

Remove the stereo every time you get out? What about the wheels, they can be had relatively simply. Roof control panels are £500 a shot, how long before these start disappearing? I'm not poking fun at you I'm just trying to be realistic and you have to balance ease of use/convenience with security.

Stu said:
briwy said:

I tried it off screen and waiving it at the toll station. It didn't work. So I stuck it on the screen in the recommended position and it worked fine. I did 2900 miles many of which were on the toll roads and this device was a boon. I loved rolling through the dedicated booths without stopping whilst the French qued up to pay. Haven't had the bill yet but it was worth every penny.

HistoryBob said:
I loved rolling through the dedicated booths without stopping whilst the French qued up to pay.

Because "the French" don't know how to use such a clever device ? :crazy

This worked like a charm. Stuck in the windscreen on my car without issue and same on my Dad's car too.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
This worked like a charm. Stuck in the windscreen on my car without issue and same on my Dad's car too.

cheers

Great aren't they, I have used one of these for the last few trips. The best bit is driving through at 30kph!!

I have these!

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
smgcowfold said:

cheers

Great aren't they, I have used one of these for the last few trips. The best bit is driving through at 30kph!!

That is the 2nd best bit for me, the best is passing the big long queues of people waiting to pay and or collect a ticket. Brilliant.

I bought mine from APRR.fr. Its a bit cheaper than from the good people in Harrogate but more French.
I remove the gadget when the car is parked. I leave the bracket glued in the dotted zone; only so much you can do before life becomes impossible and pointless.

Gadget is great fun whether it works or it doesnt work.