Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water tank leaking

R

Rubbadub

VIP Member
We bought our Cali fairly recently so at first I thought I was doing something incorrectly. But after a couple of attempts to fill up the water tank and then getting where we were camping to find that it was empty. I remember that the guy I bought it from said that he or the previous owner had never used the water system. Luckily I have access to a four post ramp and I was able to remove the left hand rear plastic shield and put water in the tank with the release valve in both position, when closed water still trickled out, when opened I got wet :oops: :lol: I'm guessing that the rubber seal may have gone brittle as it hasn't been used since 2008. Has anyone got any experience of accessing the valve and stripping and re-building it? Any pictures of its construction? I will definitely need to access it from inside the tank but that's as far as I've got and I don't want to break things as I 'fix it'.

Thanks
Paul

Never done that, but have done a couple of water tank replacements which means stripping out the interior completely to remove it.

cheers

Hello Paul - I remember from some while ago that owners of that 'generation' of Calis reported similar problems - caused by the lever not moving far enough round to close the valve completely - is that worth checking out, by repositioning or filing down the lever? I know others have done that and sorted the problem.

Easier than replading the valve! - if it works, that is . . . .

Lewis

lewisnoble said:
- caused by the lever not moving far enough round to close the valve completely -
This could be it. We have a 2008 Cali, and we have to really consciously 'close' the valve; not a bit, but really tight, or we have a trickling water trace behind us as well... But when closed well, no problem.

Thanks for the advice I will fiddle with the lever and see if I can adjust anything. :clap

Just going through a panic attack over a similar problem. Water leaking from the fresh water tank. Originally told we would need a new tap on the water tank and it would take a couple of hours. Cali in today and now it will be a full 8 hours and mean the units have to come out and me finding a hotel for the night if they do not have a car available. Came out of warranty in April this year! Not only will the cost be horrendous but we are due in Germany next week and I dread to think how many additional rattles we will have let alone any other potential damage. If only VW had offered an extended warranty at the right price in 2015.

I think if I was out of warranty, I would simply cut a circular access panel at the bottom of the rear wardrobe panel and go at it from there, rather than get the whole wardrobe out..

Or stop using the tank altogether and divert the pump into a 10L water can and store that in the rear somewhere..

Just going through a panic attack over a similar problem. Water leaking from the fresh water tank. Originally told we would need a new tap on the water tank and it would take a couple of hours. Cali in today and now it will be a full 8 hours and mean the units have to come out and me finding a hotel for the night if they do not have a car available. Came out of warranty in April this year! Not only will the cost be horrendous but we are due in Germany next week and I dread to think how many additional rattles we will have let alone any other potential damage. If only VW had offered an extended warranty at the right price in 2015.
According to your Avatar and Information you have a 2015 Beach. I didn't think they had a Water Tank.

If that is incorrect and you have a SE then if the Dealership are any good, and the fact they have taken on this job then the Units should fit back without any additional squeaks or rattles