Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Cleaning

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone know of a way to clean, or perhaps restore would be a better word, the fridge? Ours seems to be going a very unattractive shade of yellow.

I have tried CIF and similar products with very limited success and I'm unsure about what is safe to use in this area.

Thanks for help and advice...I like the baking soda and/or lemon juice ideas. Hope it works, but in any event it'll smell better!

Just bumping this thread. Anyone used anything successfully?

I’ve tried every cleaning product generally available and safe for fridge use...well, there might be others, but I don’t know what they are or where they are! I’ve done the lemon juice thing, lemon juice with baking soda, CIF etc, etc.

Nothing seems to be able to get rid of that dingy yellowish deterioration. I think bleach might work, but simply not suitable for fridges...I’m sure there must be something out there?

Have you tried a mild chlorine solution? It is bleaching and antibacterial at the same time. Just use gloves and wash with soapy water after.

Or it might be possible to get just a new plastic insert of the fridge?

Neat Milton Sterilizing Fluid. It is the chemical component of Bleach without all the added soap and scents etc: in domestic bleach.
Wear gloves. Washout with plenty of water afterwards and leave open to dry.

I would suggest wiping the whole surface with neat milton and leave for 48hrs. Then wash out.

Sodium Hypochlorite/bleach takes time to work.

Is this problem to do with the ageing of the plastic? Like the older cheaper versions of double glazing?
Or is it to do with something else?
If it's the quality of the plastic I don't know of anything that stops the process, that yellowing is though out the whole material if so.