Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge/Cooler box & water

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Trying to retire but there's always one last job..
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I've had a scan around but can't find exactly what I want. It's to do with setting up the fridge/cooler.

We'll be doing our first trip in 3 weeks to Ireland for a sons wedding which will involve the fridge being used for the first time (overnighting prior to ferry) with us so how do we get it ready.

We normally leave around 5.30 - 6.00am and tend to stock fridge up the night before so all we have to do is basically get in camper and drive off (obviously after unplugging house EHU) How long is needed on EHU prior to stocking and what setting to cool it down? I know the batteries will be full as we have Rogers 100w solar set-up and I'll have put it on Max Charge when going to fill up prior to plugging in.

Once it's cooled down and we've stocked it up what setting is suggested to then leave it on as I can either leave EHU on overnight till we leave or simply let the fully charged batteries deal with fridge. We'll then have an 8.5 hr drive up to Galloway to stay the night before catching ferry the next morning to Ireland (fridge obviously remaining on) and then the van will not be used from the Firday lunchtime till the Monday morning when we come home; assuming milk and anything left in fridge will be still ok.

Water - Obviously the tank needs to be sterilised but after that do others drink the water from the tap? If so how long would you leave it in there suitable for drinking?

Thanks in anticipation of a really exciting wedding weekend :bananadance2:upsidedown

I've had a scan around but can't find exactly what I want. It's to do with setting up the fridge/cooler.

We'll be doing our first trip in 3 weeks to Ireland for a sons wedding which will involve the fridge being used for the first time (overnighting prior to ferry) with us so how do we get it ready.

We normally leave around 5.30 - 6.00am and tend to stock fridge up the night before so all we have to do is basically get in camper and drive off (obviously after unplugging house EHU) How long is needed on EHU prior to stocking and what setting to cool it down? I know the batteries will be full as we have Rogers 100w solar set-up and I'll have put it on Max Charge when going to fill up prior to plugging in.

Once it's cooled down and we've stocked it up what setting is suggested to then leave it on as I can either leave EHU on overnight till we leave or simply let the fully charged batteries deal with fridge. We'll then have an 8.5 hr drive up to Galloway to stay the night before catching ferry the next morning to Ireland (fridge obviously remaining on) and then the van will not be used from the Firday lunchtime till the Monday morning when we come home; assuming milk and anything left in fridge will be still ok.

Water - Obviously the tank needs to be sterilised but after that do others drink the water from the tap? If so how long would you leave it in there suitable for drinking?

Thanks in anticipation of a really exciting wedding weekend :bananadance2:upsidedown
This is what I do, others will disagree.
Cool fridge on Level 6 for 24 hrs, then pack with items from your house fridge. Careful with packing. Anything touching rear wall will freeze, that’s where the heat exchanger is. So rear wall is coldest, bottom cold top less cold. Once packed turn down to Level 5 overnight and leave at Level 5. Adjust accordingly when on site. Avoid direct sun, if possible on N/S of car on site, where heat exchanger is next to car body.

Water tank. Haven’t sterilised in 10 yrs. Wash out and then I use Katadyne solution, 3 mls to 30L, using a plastic pipette. Available from Forum shop or elsewhere.
This will keep water sterile for 6 months if you want. Refill using 1 ml/ 10 L thereafter.
We use the water for everything. Drain out on departure for home or at home. Works for us.

We put it on the night before and let it cool for a couple of hours. We then add the items we want and just leave overnight until we go.

We have never plugged in at home. The 100W panel keeps the batteries ship shape while on the drive and given the fridge alone will work off leisures for at least 3 days there is no need to plug in for that one night.

Everything else is taken care of during the drive on on site when we hook up. Have only ever not hooked up at a festival and even then zero issues at all for 5 days. Sometimes we use max charge, usually not - we use mainly to get a bit extra in our starter battery rather than leisures as we have a wifi dongle attached to our dashcam and it likes a very full starter, even with a EHU trickle charge.

We have the fridge on 3 - 5, weather dependant. Even at 3 though works fine for us in most occasions.

We sterilise once a year. Just because I’m a bit lax on emptying after a trip and did myself a mischief once by using a garden hose and ruined a whole tank of water that tasted like gack.

We use the tap for everything. Water for the day, tea, coffee, cooking, teeth - it’s how it was designed to be used.

Tip for the fridge is to put a Ikea box lid on the back wall, unless you want something to freeze a little, like bacon say.

I think you are worrying and overthinking a little - the Cali is designed to have the fridge on for prolonged periods without the need for extra faff.

Last edited:
My 5 year old T6 needed the fridge set at 5 for an approx range of 4-8 degrees, my T6.1 will set similar temperatures on setting 3. Now I just turn it on the night before going away (on setting 3) to chill it down before filling it with food.

We put it on the night before and let it cool for a couple of hours. We then add the items we want and just leave overnight until we go.

We have never plugged in at home. The 100W panel keeps the batteries ship shape while on the drive and given the fridge alone will work off leisures for at least 3 days there is no need to plug in for that one night.

Everything else is taken care of during the drive on on site when we hook up. Have only ever not hooked up at a festival and even then zero issues at all for 5 days. Sometimes we use max charge, usually not - we use mainly to get a bit extra in our starter battery rather than leisures as we have a wifi dongle attached to our dashcam and it likes a very full starter, even with a EHU trickle charge.

We have the fridge on 3 - 5, weather dependant. Even at 3 though works fine for us in most occasions.

We sterilise once a year. Just because I’m a bit lax on emptying after a trip and did myself a mischief once by using a garden hose and ruined a whole tank of water that tasted like gack.

We use the tap for everything. Water for the day, tea, coffee, cooking, teeth - it’s how it was designed to be used.

Tip for the fridge is to put a Ikea box lid on the back wall, unless you want something to freeze a little, like bacon say.

I think you are worrying and overthinking a little - the Cali is designed to have the fridge on for prolonged periods without the need for extra faff.
Cheers - perhaps I am overthinking, but it's nature of my job in architecture - 'what if' mentality!

So looks like switch fridge on level 5 about lunchtime.
Turn fridge down to level 3 (mines a T6.1) around 6 - 7 pm when will fill it with food stuffs etc and then simply leave it at level 3. This afterall will be Scotland for first night in 3 weeks then Ireland so don't expect plus 25 deg temps more like 20 deg or lower lol.
We do have a few plastic box lids of varying sizes so will look at this to stop freezing but bacon would be in there !

What do you sterilise with?? And what do you use to fill it?? My outside tap is about 25m away lol - see image

Attachments

• Home.pdf
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
This is what I do, others will disagree.
Cool fridge on Level 6 for 24 hrs, then pack with items from your house fridge. Careful with packing. Anything touching rear wall will freeze, that’s where the heat exchanger is. So rear wall is coldest, bottom cold top less cold. Once packed turn down to Level 5 overnight and leave at Level 5. Adjust accordingly when on site. Avoid direct sun, if possible on N/S of car on site, where heat exchanger is next to car body.

Water tank. Haven’t sterilised in 10 yrs. Wash out and then I use Katadyne solution, 3 mls to 30L, using a plastic pipette. Available from Forum shop or elsewhere.
This will keep water sterile for 6 months if you want. Refill using 1 ml/ 10 L thereafter.
We use the water for everything. Drain out on departure for home or at home. Works for us.
Little too complex for me thanks but I can see what you are suggesting - thanks

Cheers - perhaps I am overthinking, but it's nature of my job in architecture - 'what if' mentality!

So looks like switch fridge on level 5 about lunchtime.
Turn fridge down to level 3 (mines a T6.1) around 6 - 7 pm when will fill it with food stuffs etc and then simply leave it at level 3. This afterall will be Scotland for first night in 3 weeks then Ireland so don't expect plus 25 deg temps more like 20 deg or lower lol.
We do have a few plastic box lids of varying sizes so will look at this to stop freezing but bacon would be in there !

What do you sterilise with?? And what do you use to fill it?? My outside tap is about 25m away lol - see image
Sounds good.

We bought Puriclean from Amazon, just use once a year. We fill up from the outside tap with a blue hose just for water. You can also just get a 10l water container, fill that in your sink and make three trips.

If we just doing a day trip we just use the 10L container and don't bother filling tank.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088R8KMS5/?tag=eliteelect-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08ZYJRX5Y/?tag=eliteelect-21

Thank you - I'm married to a nurse who simply said 'I don't like the idea of drinking water from tank after 4 days'? She take a lot of convincing. We currently us a large blue insulated Coleman bottle about 15cm dia with large screw top and spout - takes around 2 litres so does a few kettles but then needs filling up; sits on floor behind seat. I think a 10lt like you show would be too big for us hence the tank

Thank you - I'm married to a nurse who simply said 'I don't like the idea of drinking water from tank after 4 days'? She take a lot of convincing. We currently us a large blue insulated Coleman bottle about 15cm dia with large screw top and spout - takes around 2 litres so does a few kettles but then needs filling up; sits on floor behind seat. I think a 10lt like you show would be too big for us hence the tank
Then open the tap every three days, empty the water and refill with the collapsable 10L container. Our collapses into the boot and if we use for a day trip we just fill and leave in the boot as well (sits in the SpaceMate).

The Cali design is 3 - 5 days self sustaining (off power, water, etc). After that there is an expectation of some refilling and refreshing.

Our Cali water is mainly for tea and coffee, so gets boiled anyway and for cooking.

Then open the tap every three days, empty the water and refill with the collapsable 10L container. Our collapses into the boot and if we use for a day trip we just fill and leave in the boot as well (sits in the SpaceMate).

The Cali design is 3 - 5 days self sustaining (off power, water, etc). After that there is an expectation of some refilling and refreshing.

Our Cali water is mainly for tea and coffee, so gets boiled anyway and for cooking.
True, but ours will fill water bottles and water bladders when we go off hiking; so needs to be pretty fresh.

True, but ours will fill water bottles and water bladders when we go off hiking; so needs to be pretty fresh.
Then have 10l fresh water to your taste refilled as often as you like from containers and use the Cali water for everything else. Does really sound like a problem looking for a solution that is specific to your use case and if water in a Cali for 3 days was never going to cut it then it never was and some other solution is needed.

Buy a 5litre bottle of mineral water from Aldi for £1.25, when its empty buy another one, they are less than a euro on continent

Does she drink bottled water that’s been in a plastic container for weeks and weeks ?

So you live on top of a granite mountain next to a babbling brook that is dead sheep free for at least 200m up stream, otherwise whatever you drink isn't pure!

Ah ha - I have a filter bottle for that :)

Update - sorry long post

Well Cali had a good run over last weekend with us going to sons wedding in Ireland in it. Proved useful to load up with everything we needed (including other son and d-i-l suitcase with their clothes and wedding outfits) and to be able to pick them up from Belfast airport. We went via Cairnryan to get shortest crossing of 2 hrs (wife hates boats and planes). Drive up was sublime................never experienced such a nice drive even if it was some 460 miles and 8 hrs. Then 1.5 hr 80 mile drive from ferry to venue in Irish Rep via Belfast with 4 up - still amazing with son and D-i-l comenting how good it was. Parked up at venue Friday lunchtime. Van visited several times to collect things and for viewing by some of the guests at wedding. Next time engine started was then Monday mid-morning.

Never used max charge at all and fridge was set at 3 for whole trip. Checked battery charge level before we left and it said 12.9 V so my single 100w solar panel has absoultely done it's trick as we only saw the sun for a couple of hours on the Saturday with the rest of the time being rather wet and grey (didn't affect the incredible wedding though). We had a thermometer i the fridge just to test it and it stayed within the normal fridge range for the whole time. I've actually turned it down to 2 now.

Monday drive home gave me 4 hours in darkness - again blown away by the LED headlights and the high beam assist; made driving in ACC effortless.

So after some 1100 miles the Cali has exceeded my expectations - oh and yes we did spend the first night in it on a site so we could get early ferry - only complaint was the blue flashing LED from solar controller during the dark - this was soon fixed by small piece of blue tac over it lol.

Also really pleased with fuel usage. Mine is a 204ps and has now done just over 10k miles - average mpg was 38 and at one point did go over 40!! Managed to get all the way to Castel Leslie near Monaghan and back to ferry on tank of diesel!!

Back