Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge random switch off?

How do you notice those updates? Our coast is 3.5 months now and I never noticed updates but I don’t know how to.
Tia
The dash screen has a message something like “Downloading software update, do not turn off ignition until complete” (Actual message is longer, but this is the sense of it). VW refer to these as “Over-the-air” updates.

We had our van delivered 1st Feb 2022, and I reckon we’ve had circa 5 updates. Its odd you’ve not had any. I took a look on the VW website, and it offers this information, hope it helps….

‘Similar to your computer or smartphone, any newly available software upgrade will be announced through an in-vehicle notification on your infotainment screen. For Car-Net subscribers, you will also receive an in-app notification when a software upgrade is available. You may also receive a mailer notifying you of the specific software update available for your vehicle.

If you’re unsure if your vehicle qualifies for a software update or have not received a notification because you are not registered for Car-Net, we have a look-up tool available. Simply enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) to view any open campaigns, including software updates available, and contact your dealer for next steps.’

The dash screen has a message something like “Downloading software update, do not turn off ignition until complete” (Actual message is longer, but this is the sense of it). VW refer to these as “Over-the-air” updates.

We had our van delivered 1st Feb 2022, and I reckon we’ve had circa 5 updates. Its odd you’ve not had any. I took a look on the VW website, and it offers this information, hope it helps….

‘Similar to your computer or smartphone, any newly available software upgrade will be announced through an in-vehicle notification on your infotainment screen. For Car-Net subscribers, you will also receive an in-app notification when a software upgrade is available. You may also receive a mailer notifying you of the specific software update available for your vehicle.

If you’re unsure if your vehicle qualifies for a software update or have not received a notification because you are not registered for Car-Net, we have a look-up tool available. Simply enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) to view any open campaigns, including software updates available, and contact your dealer for next steps.’
Thank you very much for this info! I’ll have a look (when the sun goes down ;) )

Look up tool doesn’t recognise my VIN !?
Maybe it’s restricted to VW cars?

Look up tool doesn’t recognise my VIN !?
Maybe it’s restricted to VW cars?
Could be, there is a divide between Cars and Commercial. I took a look at the info in WeConnect, and in the Infotainment system, where a software build number is given, but I strongly suspect that is only for the Infotainment system. As and when we get a further prompt to update software I’ll try and take a photo.

@bob_summers and others, we have same problem with fridge switching off. It has happened at least 4 times in the past year on my 2021 T6.1 Coast. Need to keep a close watch on the orange fridge indicator light especially in hot weather when food will soon spoil.

Each time, I set fridge to No. 3, drove to a camp site and was on EHU overnight so leisure battery was fully charged by the morning. Then if I disconnect EHU, drive somewhere and park for up to 8 hours, I sometimes find that the fridge has switched off some time in the day. Sometimes, when I touch the control knob on the camping control panel to wake it up, the fridge switches off, camping mode is cancelled so that the interior lights come on when the door is opened and the display returns to the home screen with the picture of the van instead of displaying the screen that was last used.

It isn't caused by the leisure battery being discharged because on one occasion, the van was only disconnected from EHU for 20 mins while moving from one pitch to another on the same camp site. It looks like a software 'bug' or something else that causes the camping control panel software to 'crash' and restart, so that it forgets its stored settings including fridge setting, camping mode, if set and last screen used.

It has been into my VW dealer twice for this fault and others. They found no stored fault code but the second time, they kept it in the workshop for 3 days on and off EHU but the fridge worked OK. Since then I spent 17 nights abroad on one trip with no problem but on a recent 2 night UK trip, the fridge turned off. The van is about to go back to the dealer for a third time.

Does anyone know whether there is a hidden menu on the T6.1 camping control panel?

@bob_summers and others, we have same problem with fridge switching off. It has happened at least 4 times in the past year on my 2021 T6.1 Coast. Need to keep a close watch on the orange fridge indicator light especially in hot weather when food will soon spoil.

Each time, I set fridge to No. 3, drove to a camp site and was on EHU overnight so leisure battery was fully charged by the morning. Then if I disconnect EHU, drive somewhere and park for up to 8 hours, I sometimes find that the fridge has switched off some time in the day. Sometimes, when I touch the control knob on the camping control panel to wake it up, the fridge switches off, camping mode is cancelled so that the interior lights come on when the door is opened and the display returns to the home screen with the picture of the van instead of displaying the screen that was last used.

It isn't caused by the leisure battery being discharged because on one occasion, the van was only disconnected from EHU for 20 mins while moving from one pitch to another on the same camp site. It looks like a software 'bug' or something else that causes the camping control panel software to 'crash' and restart, so that it forgets its stored settings including fridge setting, camping mode, if set and last screen used.

It has been into my VW dealer twice for this fault and others. They found no stored fault code but the second time, they kept it in the workshop for 3 days on and off EHU but the fridge worked OK. Since then I spent 17 nights abroad on one trip with no problem but on a recent 2 night UK trip, the fridge turned off. The van is about to go back to the dealer for a third time.

Does anyone know whether there is a hidden menu on the T6.1 camping control panel?
Welcome to VWCC
Ours has randomly switched itself off. Like others I thought it was my fat fingers on the control panel but its not. I don't recall it happening whilst on EHU but it definately has when just disconnected from mains and driving.
Its never just stopped when camping either on EHU or batteries (tempting fate I know!)
Unfortunately no hidden menu i'm aware of and not much to be done other than keeping an eye on light on the control panel.
Its a self defrosting "feature" :)

I have exactly the same problem in my Ocean MY20. Last time it happened when I pressed the control panel knob, the screen turned on for a moment and then it went black for a second at the same time that the fridge indicator turned off. When I pressed the button again, camping mode was also disabled.

This makes me think the problem is that the camper control unit hangs randomly, loosing the camper mode and fridge state.

VW software, you know...

I’m also having this issue on my MY 22 Ocean. Was fine for the first couple of weekends away. Last weekend away I noticed it happen once, while on hook-up. Since returning home I’ve kept the fridge on (almost 2 weeks now) and had it either on hook-up or using the leisure batteries. It’s happened several times over the past 2 weeks.
When I’ve popped out at random times to check, the light on the panel has been:
- Off and allowed me to turn it back on
- On and fridge working
- On and fridge not working
- On and when I’ve pushed the panel button the fridge light went off
- off and wouldn’t allow me to turn it back on

We’re heading away for 10 days tomorrow morning and I feel quite anxious about the fridge and it’s contents!

Welcome to VWCC
Ours has randomly switched itself off. Like others I thought it was my fat fingers on the control panel but its not. I don't recall it happening whilst on EHU but it definately has when just disconnected from mains and driving.
Its never just stopped when camping either on EHU or batteries (tempting fate I know!)
Unfortunately no hidden menu i'm aware of and not much to be done other than keeping an eye on light on the control panel.
Its a self defrosting "feature" :)
Check connection and routing of the cable. Will be obvious once you remove the access hatch. I moved mine away with a piece of wood as it was wedged in an expanision tail from the evaporator and I didnt fancy a shock. Moved mine away, it has been fine the last 3.5yrs

Check connection and routing of the cable. Will be obvious once you remove the access hatch. I moved mine away with a piece of wood as it was wedged in an expanision tail from the evaporator and I didnt fancy a shock. Moved mine away, it has been fine the last 3.5yrs
Could you send picture of what has to be moved thanks

Could you send picture of what has to be moved thanks
Sadly not. Had this problem quiet a few years ago (2018/19?). So I had a quick look in via the cupboard and didn't like the look of the connector placement so moved it away and it's been 100% ever since.

Where’s the access hatch ?

I’m with a 2013 ocean and unfortunately haven’t been able to get EHU and in northern Spain somewhere and just parked up for a few days without any power / driving etc as can’t risk losing our park up spot - fridge turned off when it dropped below 12 V which I’m assuming it’s meat to be and I’ll be keeping it off as the leisure batteries are very low now around 11.4…. We are driving for an hour tomorrow so hope that will put some charge back in.

I bought the van secondhand and it’s a 2013 so would you think I need to buy or advise I need to buy new leisure batteries as read they’re only good for around 5 years?

Thank you all!

PS: seen lots of Cali’s around this area of Bakio north Spain

I’m with a 2013 ocean and unfortunately haven’t been able to get EHU and in northern Spain somewhere and just parked up for a few days without any power / driving etc as can’t risk losing our park up spot - fridge turned off when it dropped below 12 V which I’m assuming it’s meat to be and I’ll be keeping it off as the leisure batteries are very low now around 11.4…. We are driving for an hour tomorrow so hope that will put some charge back in.

I bought the van secondhand and it’s a 2013 so would you think I need to buy or advise I need to buy new leisure batteries as read they’re only good for around 5 years?

Thank you all!

PS: seen lots of Cali’s around this area of Bakio north Spain
Just that - Fridge off below 12V (11.5 I think) - but you should be good for 3 or 4 days so if they draining that quick they may need replacing.

Just that - Fridge off below 12V (11.5 I think) - but you should be good for 3 or 4 days so if they draining that quick they may need replacing.
Thank you and charging kids phones and an iPad probably doesn’t help either I’m assuming ‍♂️…. It’s done me proud so far , wild camping near Weymouth it lasted 5 days no issues a while ago maybe a year and a half

Thank you and charging kids phones and an iPad probably doesn’t help either I’m assuming ‍♂️…. It’s done me proud so far , wild camping near Weymouth it lasted 5 days no issues a while ago maybe a year and a half
Nope, every little takes it's toll. Phones. Heater. Fridge. Doors and internal lights. Still, 3 - 5 days is the design so it may be your batteries have just tipped over.

Last edited:
Back