Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge random switch off?

bob_summers

bob_summers

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Have founds some threads on this on T6, but not on T6.1 - possibly same problem though.

I thought it was just my fat fingers accidentally turning the fridge off when changing the cold setting, but no - it just randomly turns off. I'm not the only one (see c.19mins).

I'm not on EHU, battery level says 50+ hours (haven't run the engine in 3 days but the solar panel has been helping keep it topped up), fridge was off this morning - it always turns back on when asked, so there appears to be no physical problem. Any ideas?

Have founds some threads on this on T6, but not on T6.1 - possibly same problem though.

I thought it was just my fat fingers accidentally turning the fridge off when changing the cold setting, but no - it just randomly turns off. I'm not the only one (see c.19mins).

I'm not on EHU, battery level says 50+ hours (haven't run the engine in 3 days but the solar panel has been helping keep it topped up), fridge was off this morning - it always turns back on when asked, so there appears to be no physical problem. Any ideas?
What does the Voltage say?
The hours left, like the %Battery capacity on the old Control Panel is a calculation based on spot data. The voltage is accurate.
The Fridge will switch Off if the voltage drops to 11.5v at any time.

SoC-AGM.jpg

What does the Voltage say?
The hours left, like the %Battery capacity on the old Control Panel is a calculation based on spot data. The voltage is accurate.
The Fridge will switch Off if the voltage drops to 11.5v at any time.

View attachment 95984
Thanks for the reply WG. Currently (haha) sitting at 12.5v, -1A on the display. Is it possible the voltage drops to <12v overnight with no solar?
Although in the 6.0 thread, people claim that the fridge switches off on EHU as well.

Thanks for the reply WG. Currently (haha) sitting at 12.5v, -1A on the display. Is it possible the voltage drops to <12v overnight with no solar?
Although in the 6.0 thread, people claim that the fridge switches off on EHU as well.
If you are showing 12.5v with Solar connected , probably yes.
I have a 100v 7yr old solar panel , permanently fitted.
In reasonable sunlight it will fully charge the Leisure Batteries, with the fridge On and at night the Control Panel doesn't drop below 12.6v.

48hrs at Nordkapp in -7c with Fridge On and Parking Heater on continuously. Fully overcast with snow storms and panel covered by snow. Control Panel voltage dropped to 12.2v after 48hrs.

I'll keep an eye on it then. Part of the morning routine - unsag the roof ;) , check fridge is on - if not, what's the panel voltage..

When our T6 Cali was new (Sept 2019) we took it to Italy and the fridge kept randomly shutting off, no errors and no battery issues. Took it back to the dealer who fitted a new fridge and the issue was solved, hope this helps.

When our T6 Cali was new (Sept 2019) we took it to Italy and the fridge kept randomly shutting off, no errors and no battery issues. Took it back to the dealer who fitted a new fridge and the issue was solved, hope this helps.
i’ll keep an eye on it, thanks for the insight. When it shut off, could you just switch it back on again? Or was it a case of resetting everything?

I can remember our 2008 SE shut the fridge off by itself after a week, and our 6.1 Coast appears to do the same.
I just try and remember to turn it off for 5 mins or so after 6 days...

The fridge on my T6.1 switches off sometimes as well. It happens when I plug in the EHU after a day out.

i’ll keep an eye on it, thanks for the insight. When it shut off, could you just switch it back on again? Or was it a case of resetting everything?
From memory, we could switch it back on, it became a chore watching the light on the control panel to see if it went off which will be different to the 6.1 but the fridge is the same unit.

I have a waeco CDF26 fridge in my T6 Beach - it has settings hi mid and lo for battery protection. If set to hi the fridge shuts down to protect the battery too early - i keep it on lo now and works well. I wonder if there is a battery protection setting on the fridge somewhere ?

I have a waeco CDF26 fridge in my T6 Beach - it has settings hi mid and lo for battery protection. If set to hi the fridge shuts down to protect the battery too early - i keep it on lo now and works well. I wonder if there is a battery protection setting on the fridge somewhere ?
There is, fridge and Parking Heater if voltage drops to 11.5v.

I have had a couple instances of the fridge turning itself off on a recent trip whilst on EHU, it also turned off Camping Mode the first time which I thought odd. Not sure if it was caused by me possibly knocking the electrical trip switches in the rear of the van when rummaging through stuff the first time, but second time is definitely a mystery. Never had this happen before, so will be keeping an eye on it during our next trip which is in a few weeks.

I've seen this twice. It now seems to have settled down.

My working theory, with not much to back it up, was that compressor startup was causing a momentary low voltage. Not sure if the sensing is at the 'special vehicle unit' or fridge or perhaps control panel (unlikely), or even the ibs sensors.

A bit of capacitance added to the bus near the fridge might solve the problem. Checking for high resistance might help as well.

VW might change their firmware to look for a sustained low voltage.

Or my theory could be codswallop...

Last edited:

My working theory, with not much to back it up, was that compressor startup was causing momentary a low voltage. Not sure if the sensing is at the 'special vehicle unit' or fridge or perhaps control panel (unlikely), or even the ibs sensors.

A bit of capacitance added to the bus near the fridge might solve the problem. Checking for high resistance might help as well.

You are probably correct.

My working theory, with not much to back it up, was that compressor startup was causing a momentary low voltage. Not sure if the sensing is at the 'special vehicle unit' or fridge or perhaps control panel (unlikely), or even the ibs sensors.

Agree. I don’t monitor the voltage, but when we start a warm fridge, the capacity of the leisure battery drops from over 60 hours to something like 16 hours, within a hour. Then after say 4 hours it goes back to 60+.

Had something like this on my T5. On EHU fine. I bought a battery as I thought it may be low voltage as my battery was indicating 12.2v and I was going away so needed a backup. I wasnt sure how it was wired and if it drew current from the vehicle battery when the engine was running

Opening the access hatch I noticed the connector was wedged between the compressor (or evaporator) and the expansion tail.

I didn't like this and didn't fancy a shock, so I moved it off with electrical pliers. Once away I looked at the connector and all was fine and nothing else untowards so it I thought new fridge time. Its been fine every since and that was 3years ago.

Our fridge doing the random switch off thing both yesterday and today. No EHU but still well over 12v in the leisure batteries. 12.4v at rest at the moment and 12.6v when we noticed it this time yesterday. Only set to number 2 which has been more than enough in this heat. Roughly the same time today and yesterday we noticed the light off. Both times it turned back on with no issue and stayed on ok. My only guess is the sun playing on the van in the 29 degree heat causing the issue. But I am sure others will reply that they are in Southern Europe with 10 degrees more than this with no issues. First World problems I know!

And again today around the same time.. Different site and on EHU this time

Ours switched off a couple of days ago, there was a software update around the same time, so not sure if the update switched it off? Been fine since. Might have been a fat finger moment though!

I can’t advise for people with the Ocean and VW supplied fridge, but we solved the issue of our Waeco/Dometic fridge cutting out by hard wring it to the leisure battery. The voltage drop between the cigar socket and the fridge was too much even on “lo” setting.

There are already a few threads about the refrigerator that just shuts off (almost never because of too low voltage, but at random). So it is something which could be due to the new electric wiring of the t6.1, online updates or just the quality of parts and/or quality control. We too had it once during our summer trip last month. This happened while driving. I had also seen the video of 'California Time' (I really like to see them in action) and thought I might as well keep my eye on it from now on. They also had the very annoying squeaking and creaking front seat (until now also solved with silicon spray).

Couldn't be 100% sure Yesterday, but was convinced it went off as I touched the control knob on the panel. But did exactly the same this morning. On EHU at this site, fridge stayed on all night. Sat here thinking I'll have a quick look at the external temp on the control panel. Pressed the control panel knob to wake it up and the fridge light went out. Really odd. Hopefully a software update fix? Or maybe I am clutching at straws? Do those kind of software "fixes" get sent to the van over 4g, or is it only when at the dealership? Had the 1st service about 3 weeks back. Am I beta testing a new update that they installed??

Couldn't be 100% sure Yesterday, but was convinced it went off as I touched the control knob on the panel. But did exactly the same this morning. On EHU at this site, fridge stayed on all night. Sat here thinking I'll have a quick look at the external temp on the control panel. Pressed the control panel knob to wake it up and the fridge light went out. Really odd. Hopefully a software update fix? Or maybe I am clutching at straws? Do those kind of software "fixes" get sent to the van over 4g, or is it only when at the dealership? Had the 1st service about 3 weeks back. Am I beta testing a new update that they installed??
We regularly get software updates to install. Not a clue what they’re about though !

We regularly get software updates to install. Not a clue what they’re about though !
How do you notice those updates? Our coast is 3.5 months now and I never noticed updates but I don’t know how to.
Tia

Back