Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge is working but not well enough

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Fridge in our 2012 SE works, but struggles to hold temperature.
It’ll keep our dogs raw food frozen for up to 24 hours but after that, even set at number 6, will not keep anything frozen.
Is there anyone in the north west, preferably close to Liverpool who I can take it to be looked at?
I’ve heard VW will just advise a new fridge unit which I’d assume is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll keep our dogs raw food frozen for up to 24 hours but after that, even set at number 6, will not keep anything frozen.
Is there anyone in the north west, preferably close to Liverpool who I can take it to be looked at?

Is it supposed to be able to keep things frozen longer than that ? It’s not a freezer after all

We have found that removing the inner basket allows us to keep everything cold inside.

We use a cool bag inside the fridge to keep everything in place. Also place a large freezer block inside the bag.

We have found that on the 7 setting, that fruit etc actually freezes at the bottom of the bag.

It might be your leisure batteries. I'd suggest remove each and place on a low trickle charge with a charger/reconditioning unit. Then repeat your tests.

I think you have answered your question in the Thread Title. It is a Fridge not a Freezer . It will work or Not work as simple as that.
The Cooling coil is at the rear of the Fridge, next to the window. Anything placed near to/touching that panel is likely to stay cooler/frozen for longer. The Thermostat is on the R side panel. Anything blocking that will fool the fridge into thinking it is not at the correct temperature.
Ideally you should cool the fridge to Maximum for 24 hrs beforehand with or without freezer blocks then pack with frozen food against the rear wall and the base. Leave on maximum. BUT as I said it will not maintain -0c temperatures as it is not designed for that and full of frozen stuff is not going to fire up the compressor that much because the fridge will already be at a temperature below its maximum setting.
If the Leisure Batteries drop below 11.5v on the Control Panel the Fridge will automatically switch Off.

Maybe I’m asking a bit too much of it.
I think batteries are fine, 90% when we went to bed last night and still at 90% this morning.

This (keep sub zero temp in the fridge/freezer) was possible in early California’s. I have a -2006 and can set the temperature in the control panel from +18 degree down to -18 degrees (Celsius). In reality mine will settle at - 10 when I put it at -18.
It is possible to bridge the terminals to the thermostat, which will make the compressor to run continuously. You could install a simple switch, but then you will have to manually start/stop the freezer...or put a timer. Everything is possible if you are a little handy and creative.

This (keep sub zero temp in the fridge/freezer) was possible in early California’s. I have a -2006 and can set the temperature in the control panel from +18 degree down to -18 degrees (Celsius). In reality mine will settle at - 10 when I put it at -18.
It is possible to bridge the terminals to the thermostat, which will make the compressor to run continuously. You could install a simple switch, but then you will have to manually start/stop the freezer...or put a timer. Everything is possible if you are a little handy and creative.
Agree mine also goes as low as -18

Sounds far too much like hard work

Back