Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge latch issue

DavidinWales

DavidinWales

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
I've found some previous posts on fridge latch problems but they are old and don't quite match my issue.

I have a 2021 T6.1 Cali Ocean. The fridge lid latch has suddenly stopped working properly. It will catch with enough pressure but pops open at the slightest excuse, such as when opening or closing doors or just driving. The push-in part now seems quite loose compared to the stove top and sink latches. The small hinges that are visible on the inside top of the push-in are intact and the two small springs also look OK , as far as I can see them.
My question is, is this simply a matter of prising out the old latch and replacing it, and if so how exactly? Or is it a much bigger job needing the whole kitchen unit pulling out to get at it from inside the molding?
Related to this, I have it booked in at my local VW workshop to look at it. I recently took out an extended warranty and it is not clear from the handbook whether this would be covered. I suspect not. However, VW said that they'd first assess it to see if it is covered but if it isn't there's a charge of £85 just for the assessment! This seems outrageous to me. Is it normal?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Our van had this issue and they fitted a new latch. No idea how they did it as it is under warranty.
Normal to charge for inspection unfortunately. If it is inside the original warranty period, there is no cost but they do seem to charge once on the all in plan etc.

Our van had this issue and they fitted a new latch. No idea how they did it as it is under warranty.
Normal to charge for inspection unfortunately. If it is inside the original warranty period, there is no cost but they do seem to charge once on the all in plan etc.
Thanks for your reply. It is encouraging, despite you confirming the inspection cost!

Back