Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge not cooling

If its really out of R134a the refrigerant then im surprised the compressor runs as they usually have protection against this. I would advise to stop running it until a professional has checked it out otherwise the compressor could be damaged from lack of oil lubrication which is carried by the R134a.

I would get it out of the cali and hand it to them to play with.

Okay. Ill think about it. 14£ for basically a pdf, is a bit much. Most of the discounts seems uk based. But thank you for your help!
I presume the price given to the previous owner for replacing the fridge by VW was for Supplying, removing old unit and fitting new unit.
If you cannot find a Refrigerator firm to fix your unit it might be worthwhile to remove the Unit yourself and purchase and fit yourself a new Unit from VW. At least you will save on Labour costs.

This might help.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fridge-removal.24616/

purchase and fit yourself a new Unit from VW.
It can only be one of the few parts that has failed can´t it ?
I really cannot see it needing a complete new unit, the van is
only 4 yrs old.

only 4 yrs old.

Thats really been my trail of thought...'

Ive been in contact with a camper dealership here in Denmark. Hes been talking with af tech, he usually uses for fridge issues in caravans and mobile homes. He says that his tech will properly be able to run some tests on the fridge, if i get it out for him.

He also mentioned - and this is from his ear to mine, that the overhead controllerpanel, is known to confuse the temperatures of the car and the fridge, and a replacement of that panel, might be an idea.

anyone got any idea, how much that costs?

My next action, will be to pull out the fridge, and get it to the tech.
He will then check if its either:

- A leaky compressor
- The Danfoss controller unit
- maybe the overhead controller panel

I wont bite the 1600£ bullet just yet!

only 4 yrs old.
I did say “ if you cannot find a Refrigerator firm that can fix it “.

A replacement Control Panel from VW is about £700 or the Forum Shop sells refurbished/repaired units.

Have never, never heard that theory that the Control Panel confuses the temperature inputs.

Personally if it was me i would take the fridge out and get the "tech" to test it before spending vast amounts of money.
Any decent refrigeration company could also check it for you.

The amount of time this has been running, the OP could have driven to the UK to Penguin near Havant, whipped the fridge out in the car park, had it checked, fixed and re-gassed, back in the van and home in time for tea.

Thank you all, for the helpful replies and suggestions. Here an Update:

I took the fridge out, which was easy, but I was glad to have a mate to help.

When we had it out, we could plug it in, outside the cupboard, and from the underside of the box, we could see that all the tubes got cold and had ice on them, after a short time with the fridge turned on. But the box didn’t get cool. While handling the fridge, we could hear liquid inside the tubes and pipes, but there was no sign of leakage to be seen.

So I turned it over to a technician, who today has told me, that they suspect some kind of problem with the amount of liquid in the compressor. They will drill a hole to puncture it, then fill it up and weld it shut. I hope this will work, and be a permanent solution.

Again, thanks for helping out with suggestions and experiences. Great community and forum this seems to be, and it’s a nice feeling to know that I can come here with questions about the van.

Here an Update:
Updates are always good.
Would interesting to know what caused the problem if and
when they find out.

The snowflakes falling on the screen make me feel
like i´ve got a migraine :stop

So I got the news a couple of days ago. The fridge is broken beyond repair, unfortunately.
As some of you suggested, it contained insufficient gas/cooling fluid, thus not cooling the box. After refilling it, the fridge did actually cool in an hour or so, but then stopped cooling again. The conclusion is, that the pipes inside the cooling box have corroded, which according to the technician, cannot be repaired.

So that’s it. In one hand it’s nice to have some clarity, on the other hand vw still wants 1500£ for installing a new one.

I could just take the easy way out here. But do I have any other options? (The repair didn’t cost me anything other then postage)
I can’t seem to find any fridges that have been taken out for spare parts. I can actually find a fridge that looks similar on vwbusshop.de but it says it’s for a t4, so I do not reckon it will work.

Any spare part pages I’m missing? Any dealers in Germany or such? The fridge took me 5 minutes to get out, and I’ve heard that it costs ~1000£ by itself, so I’m not keen on paying that much for installation.

So I got the news a couple of days ago. The fridge is broken beyond repair, unfortunately.
As some of you suggested, it contained insufficient gas/cooling fluid, thus not cooling the box. After refilling it, the fridge did actually cool in an hour or so, but then stopped cooling again. The conclusion is, that the pipes inside the cooling box have corroded, which according to the technician, cannot be repaired.

So that’s it. In one hand it’s nice to have some clarity, on the other hand vw still wants 1500£ for installing a new one.

I could just take the easy way out here. But do I have any other options? (The repair didn’t cost me anything other then postage)
I can’t seem to find any fridges that have been taken out for spare parts. I can actually find a fridge that looks similar on vwbusshop.de but it says it’s for a t4, so I do not reckon it will work.

Any spare part pages I’m missing? Any dealers in Germany or such? The fridge took me 5 minutes to get out, and I’ve heard that it costs ~1000£ by itself, so I’m not keen on paying that much for installation.
Won’t VW just supply the fridge? and leave you to fit it yourself?

Won’t VW just supply the fridge? and leave you to fit it yourself?

Actually I haven’t contacted them myself. But I read in a thread here, they they refused to do it, in another case.

TAKE IT TO PENGUIN!!! :headbang:headbang:headbang

TAKE IT TO PENGUIN!!! :headbang:headbang:headbang

Wish I could mate. But it was a waeco manufacturer, that declared it damaged beyond repair. And I can’t really take a week off, to drive to uk. Would be nice though, I’m sure :)

Actually I haven’t contacted them myself. But I read in a thread here, they they refused to do it, in another case.
Worth contacting them yourself.