Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Fridge thread

S

spitzie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Had the Cali a week now and I think the fridge is broken.
I've turned on the fridge and changed the setting to max. The symbol stayed lit overnight, but the fridge does seem to be any colder than the ambient temperature.
There is some current being drawn from the battery, so my first question is how much should a working fridge draw?
There compressor doesn't appear to be running, so the next question is would the symbol remain lit if the fuse was blown?

The Cali is only a few months old, so it would be warranty issue. But as the dealer I purchased from is 250 miles away, I'm after some advice so I can be sure of the fault first.

If the ambient temp is say less the 5c then i wouldn't really expect the fridge to come on.
Try heating the inside of the fridge with a hair dryer or bowl of hot water and see what happens.
You can take your Cali to any dealership not just where you purchased it.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a fridge thermometer or similar, will be an easy way of telling if its cooling or just not triggering because its already down to temp inside.

As others have said in winter I find my fridge uses hardly any energy. That said on max I would still expect the compressor to occasionally make some noise if you have it on max and the van interior is warm.

Had the Cali a week now and I think the fridge is broken.
I've turned on the fridge and changed the setting to max. The symbol stayed lit overnight, but the fridge does seem to be any colder than the ambient temperature.
There is some current being drawn from the battery, so my first question is how much should a working fridge draw?
There compressor doesn't appear to be running, so the next question is would the symbol remain lit if the fuse was blown?

The Cali is only a few months old, so it would be warranty issue. But as the dealer I purchased from is 250 miles away, I'm after some advice so I can be sure of the fault first.

I thought the same thing with mine. Turned mine to max, it didn't feel cold but the sides did have a thin frost on them.

...message ends...

Last edited:
Do you have access to a fridge thermometer or similar, will be an easy way of telling if its cooling or just not triggering because its already down to temp inside.

As others have said in winter I find my fridge uses hardly any energy. That said on max I would still expect the compressor to occasionally make some noise if you have it on max and the van interior is warm.

Even when the van interior is warm the inside of the cupboard next to the fridge is much nearer to the outside temperature. Try it with a thermometer you will be surprised:thumb

Similar to what others have said, put a bottle of tepid water in the fridge, give it a couple of hours, see what it does.

Mine, in this weather, set to Max will freeze water so leave the bottle in overnight and see what happens then :D

I turned off the fridge, brought home curry in the fridge, removed curry, turned on fridge, ate curry and checked the fridge. Low and behold the compressor was running.
I was confused by the ambient temperature info in the manual and in some Google searches.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I turned off the fridge, brought home curry in the fridge, removed curry, turned on fridge, ate curry and checked the fridge. Low and behold the compressor was running.
I was confused by the ambient temperature info in the manual and in some Google searches.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
New fridge testing regime - The Curry Test.:D:thumb:thumb