Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Not Working

F

Findlay94

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Please could someone share some advice how to get my fridge running again. I've tried lots of things/fault diagnosis:

Problem:
Fridge wont start - the relay clicks, but the compressor doesnt start
A few times, fault code 3001 (J698 Cooler Input Active) has come up, clearing it made no difference

Battery is fully charged, attempts using hook-up, engine power or both haven't helped.
I've measured the voltage across both batteries, I think it was 12.6V, so appear heatlhy
The heater fires up on battery, hook-up. 230v plugs work

I've set the temperature to -18, relay clicks and light comes on. If it is set to say 10c, when it was about 8c ambient today, no relay click and no light (as expected)

I've fitted an LED as per PenguinFrigo's diagnostic instrcutions, but it didn't light up. LED tested seperately as okay
Next, I measured the voltage on the relay next to the controller - 13V between connections on the relay
The voltage on the leads fitted to the controller measures only 1.2V - which says it's not receiving enough power!
The wires seem to go under the cabinet - Is that to the earth shunt?

If the relay is seeing power, and clicking, Im not sure why the controller doesn't seem to see enough voltage.

Am i missing something?
Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

Any ideas out there?
I really need to get it done before I'm back at work with a 2 month backlog :(

Think you need to give more details of vehicle ( your profile says you have a T5 on order?) etc as your description of the fault doesn't mean a lot (from a Cali point of view). How are you setting temperature to -18? Who is PenquinFrigo? What LED and relay are you referring to?
I'm guessing you are not talking about a standard fridge set up.

Depending the year of your van, you could have the
battery charger under the fridge or on top of the rear battery.

Im sure that the brown wire running from the rear battery and under the
fridge is the earth shunt. But if your charger is there then you will have other
wires running through.

When you start the heater up - without being plugged in - do the internal lights
flicker - as in - turn them all on when you fire up the heater and see if they flicker,
if they do then there is a good chance that the earth shunt is the problem.

Depending the year of your van, you could have the
battery charger under the fridge or on top of the rear battery.

Im sure that the brown wire running from the rear battery and under the
fridge is the earth shunt. But if your charger is there then you will have other
wires running through.

When you start the heater up - without being plugged in - do the internal lights
flicker - as in - turn them all on when you fire up the heater and see if they flicker,
if they do then there is a good chance that the earth shunt is the problem.
I agree with you , but we need to know what year is the Cali to help him any further

Back