Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge "on" indicator flashing on control console.

Rich63

Rich63

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
My fridge on indicator symbol is flashing when I switch the fridge on. The manual says it's a malfunction with the fridge.....any help, advice or pointers please...

My fridge on indicator symbol is flashing when I switch the fridge on. The manual says it's a malfunction with the fridge.....any help, advice or pointers please...

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.
Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs
Control Panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.
Try Roof/Heater or Fridge

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001interrupt input interrupt input D +

Thank you, I shall try it in the morning. Were going away in her Friday morning.

Sorry,
Just tried it now & no fault codes came up. The battery indicator is showing 12.2v 40%. I've driven 100 miles in her today, leisure batteries need replacing do you think? The calli is a 2008 and I think they are original.

Sorry,
Just tried it now & no fault codes came up. The battery indicator is showing 12.2v 40%. I've driven 100 miles in her today, leisure batteries need replacing do you think? The calli is a 2008 and I think they are original.
Have you tried it whilst on hook up?

No I haven't, but I just did a 2nd diagnostics, still no code errors, instead the "fridge on" sign on the console is staying on now and I have a clicking coming from the fridge itself. Don't know if it's not getting enough juice from the leasure battery or a fault with the controller/stat.

See this thread about fixing fridge ...

Control Panel On
Return to Main Menu.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
5 = 5 = Fresh water
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
6001 6001Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

Update.
Went to Davan caravans & motorhomes W-S-M and bought a 3 pin conversion lead, plugged into the mains, waited a few moments, switched the fridge on at the control panel and she fired up. Been running for an hour or so (on hook-up ) and appears to be ok....so far.
So my guess is either the batteries haven't been on hook-up charge for a while or, they need replacing anyway.
I have read through many of the posts/threads relating to my Calli's issues, fridge, batteries, wiring etc and found them very informative and helpful.
Particular thanks to "WelshGas" "KG Calli" and "HowieDog"
We've only been members of the "California club" a few days, and owners of a campervan of any kind only 3 weeks and would just like to say how very helpful and friendly people have been....Thank you

Just have a look at the connection plug.

Mine was draped over the expansion tee for the refrigeration unit. I relocated this away and the fridge has been fine ever since. 30sec job. Mine was shorting out on the move causing the fridge to trip.

Update.
Went to Davan caravans & motorhomes W-S-M and bought a 3 pin conversion lead, plugged into the mains, waited a few moments, switched the fridge on at the control panel and she fired up. Been running for an hour or so (on hook-up ) and appears to be ok....so far.
So my guess is either the batteries haven't been on hook-up charge for a while or, they need replacing anyway.
I have read through many of the posts/threads relating to my Calli's issues, fridge, batteries, wiring etc and found them very informative and helpful.
Particular thanks to "WelshGas" "KG Calli" and "HowieDog"
We've only been members of the "California club" a few days, and owners of a campervan of any kind only 3 weeks and would just like to say how very helpful and friendly people have been....Thank you
If the Leisure Batteries are original then probably time for a Change especially if you plan on camping without Mains Supply available.
If your vehicle is dated between 2000/2007 or so and you get flickering internal lights when trying to start the Diesel Parking Heater when NOT on Mains supply then you probably have the Earth Shunt problem. You might be lucky and it’s already been sorted.

The other source of trouble with the fridge could be the multiple pin plug found under kitchen unit in line with the sink. Under the bottom shelf of the forward cupboard there is a large round cover and the plug is just there. This plug power all camping electric items in the kitchen/camping unit. I had that problem with the fridge and the cause was corrosion of the pins in that plug, possibly through some very small leakage from the sink. A quick squirt of ACF50 (or WD40) did the trick.

Hello all....sitrep re; fridge.
We came back from Cornwall yesterday having spent 7 nights away.
Every night on hook-up, no problems with either the fridge or heater, but the lights did flicker occasionally. Leasure batteries don't look to be holding charge for long, fridge ok whilst driving but stop at a lay-by for example & they drop to 40%....just age i think.
So two new batteries needed and a new earth shunt.
Any ideas about the place to buy batteries, i see the Cali shop is out of stock?

Hello all....sitrep re; fridge.
We came back from Cornwall yesterday having spent 7 nights away.
Every night on hook-up, no problems with either the fridge or heater, but the lights did flicker occasionally. Leasure batteries don't look to be holding charge for long, fridge ok whilst driving but stop at a lay-by for example & they drop to 40%....just age i think.
So two new batteries needed and a new earth shunt.
Any ideas about the place to buy batteries, i see the Cali shop is out of stock?

Control Panel On
Return to Main Menu.

Access as follows:

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
5 = 5 = Fresh water
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
Hello. I have the same problem with the

FRIDGE "ON" INDICATOR FLASHING ON CONTROL CONSOLE​

and the fridge doesn't work on hook up either.

I followed your instructions above and I received error codes 3001 and 1000. However pressing the centre of the rotary button didn't erase them. The diagnostic say press esc 5s to erase but I don't understand how to do that? Any advice please?

IMG_0907.jpg

I followed your instructions above and I received error codes 3001 and 1000. However pressing the centre of the rotary button didn't erase them. The diagnostic say press esc 5s to erase but I don't understand how to do that? Any advice please?

View attachment 120680
So the 3001 code means that the Fridge Compressor Controller is reporting a fault back to the camper controller panel.

This guide might help further:

Lots of people use Penguin for further help / parts but start with this guide first.

The 1000 code is odd, but some faults can create additional non documented codes, I would start with the fridge guide first.

A

Last edited:
So the 3001 code means that the Fridge Compressor Controller is reporting a fault back to the camper controller panel.

This guide might help further:

https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/wp-content/themes/genesis-sample/pdf/3-Support-BD35-BD50-Fault-Diagnosis.pdf

Lots of people use Penguin for further help / parts but start with this guide first.

The 1000 code is odd, but some faults can create additional non documented codes, I would start with the fridge guide first.

A
Thank you for your reply. I clicked on the link several times and the browser says it can't be opened.... do you have another link please?

View attachment 120680
To reset the codes press the rotary knob for 5 seconds then release. If it doesn't clear the faults you need to check the code faults.

Back