Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge turning off

Milly Molly

Milly Molly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone

When we’re were away in Scotland over the summer, our fridge decided to turn itself off. It has done this several times, mainly when other things are plugged in. I tried a few things to recreate it and it seems fine on hookup but not when just on battery.

I use the van as my daily driver. When I got home last night, the leisure battery was at 100%, the fridge was on and I also plugged in the electric cool box which we use when away for a longer period (family of 4). When I went back to it this morning the fridge was off and I couldn’t get that or anything else on the centre console to work! It looks like the volts had plummeted over night. I’ve put photos below of the centre console at 5pm last night and 7am this morning.

A6DB1A94-3B52-45F6-8DAB-1A83F2589237.jpeg2E327033-225B-42CA-9E75-24593ABC7EBA.jpeg

As you can see, this morning there was nothing showing for the fridge, pop top or either water tank.

Am I looking at a new leisure battery??

Likely that the electric coolbox is just draining the leisure batteries, they are very power hungry.

Likely that the electric coolbox is just draining the leisure batteries, they are very power hungry.
The OPS vehicle is an Ocean. So compressor fridge.

Hi everyone

When we’re were away in Scotland over the summer, our fridge decided to turn itself off. It has done this several times, mainly when other things are plugged in. I tried a few things to recreate it and it seems fine on hookup but not when just on battery.

I use the van as my daily driver. When I got home last night, the leisure battery was at 100%, the fridge was on and I also plugged in the electric cool box which we use when away for a longer period (family of 4). When I went back to it this morning the fridge was off and I couldn’t get that or anything else on the centre console to work! It looks like the volts had plummeted over night. I’ve put photos below of the centre console at 5pm last night and 7am this morning.

View attachment 86919View attachment 86920

As you can see, this morning there was nothing showing for the fridge, pop top or either water tank.

Am I looking at a new leisure battery??
Not necessarily.
There is a 75amp cube fuse on the +tve pole of the rear leisure battery. Check that hasn't failed because if it has you are only running on 1 leisure battery instead of 2.

The OPS vehicle is an Ocean. So compressor fridge.
The OP has stated:
"the fridge was on and I also plugged in the electric cool box which we use when away for a longer period"

So it is likely the additional electric coolbox is quite power hungry and draining the batteries overnight?

Not necessarily.
There is a 75amp cube fuse on the +tve pole of the rear leisure battery. Check that hasn't failed because if it has you are only running on 1 leisure battery instead of 2.

Thanks - I'll have a look at that.

The OP has stated:
"the fridge was on and I also plugged in the electric cool box which we use when away for a longer period"

So it is likely the additional electric coolbox is quite power hungry and draining the batteries overnight?
We have had the cool box for a couple of years, use it on most trips and even had it running in the van on hot days in France, but this has only started happening since out holiday at the end of August. In Scotland, we were on hook up whilst at the campsite and left the cool box in the awning while we were on day trips, and at some point the fridge turned itself off - either on hook up or when we weren't using the cool box.