Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Odd battery monitor behaviour

danvan

danvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
This morning I went to put the fridge on in the van as we're going away this evening. I wasn't expecting much charge in the batteries, because the van hasn't been used in a few weeks. When I turned on the control panel it said it had 10% charge, but when I hit the fridge button it went to 0% (but the fridge seemed to start). I then started the van up and ran it for 30 seconds, and when I switched off the control panel was showing 100%. I've just been out 5 hours later and the fridge is nice and cold and the battery level is showing 90%. Any ideas as to what is going on?

It's a 2013 SE, probably running the original leisure batteries but the control unit was repaired last year by the recommended Dutch company to fix a broken button (not sure if that is relevant).

Experience on the forum learns that the % shown is not always accurate .
If your Cali been standing still for weeks , did you charge it on 220v in that periode? If not that could cause problems in draining them to low.
Are they still the original batteries? If so have them checked they might need to be replaced.

If my batteries would show only 10% (they never did doh) i would charge them first or give the Cali a ride before switching anything on.

Keep en good eye on it , it might be ok now but low in two days.

This morning I went to put the fridge on in the van as we're going away this evening. I wasn't expecting much charge in the batteries, because the van hasn't been used in a few weeks. When I turned on the control panel it said it had 10% charge, but when I hit the fridge button it went to 0% (but the fridge seemed to start). I then started the van up and ran it for 30 seconds, and when I switched off the control panel was showing 100%. I've just been out 5 hours later and the fridge is nice and cold and the battery level is showing 90%. Any ideas as to what is going on?

It's a 2013 SE, probably running the original leisure batteries but the control unit was repaired last year by the recommended Dutch company to fix a broken button (not sure if that is relevant).
The Battery % is a calculation , not an actual reading. The Voltage is reasonably accurate and that is what you should really be going by.
You can reset the Battery % figure by:
1. Switching the Control Panel Off and then On using the L
lower button, or
2. Switching the Ignition On then Off.

The voltage is more important and the Fridge or Parking Heater will not work with a voltage less than 11.5v.
2A45E186-778D-4735-BC15-3DFC8E19AE55.jpeg

Back