Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From the Ocean to the Beach :-)

I was not aware of the basic air con not having the "rest" feature.

I still maintain that the usefulness or otherwise of the parking heater is dependent on how the van is used and the users' tolerance to cold.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Agreed, but in last weeks weather the novelty of starting off in a warm van when going out on day trips is a delight. Sitting in shirt sleeves looking out on glorious forest/coast views, reading the paper/having lunch at a whim is just fabulous. Back in camping mode next week regardless of weather, the heater is a must have IMHO.

Hello, sorry, a little slow on the uptake.
We started out with a (4mo manual) SE after A LOT of deliberation but sold after a very short time with it when expecting a baby (I am a giant and it was with a heavy heart we concluded it wouldn't be big enough for us + baby). We have since had two boys and could couldn't resist the temptation and bought a beach. Love it love it love if. DSG (!) 2 seater version since that's a far more comfortable (and lower) bed in our opinion.... Parking heater is a must for us

^ Interesting why do you think 2 seat is more comfy the 3 seat is much bigger and seats are surely same construction method and folding system?

The 2 seat bench is flatter when reclined therefore more comfortable for sleeping, possibly less comfortable when travelling

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Wife and I agreed having slept on the 3 seater and SE (identical to 2 seater beach) that SE is flatter and more mattress like and 3 seater in more comtoured for seating which one feels when it's laid out flat in bed mode... Not really improved with many mattress protector / zonesleep etc toppers. That's why we got a two seater. The ideal would be a 3 seat wide 2 seater...

The VW "Comfort Mattress" is counter-contoured to suit the 3-seat bench seat contours. This flattens the lower bed. So, I expect, this evens things out between the 2x seats types somewhat. However, it is worth mentioning, the 2-seat config is lower, giving more head-room, than the 3-seat config. The 3-seat config, has an advantage of extra storage space under the multi-flex-board.

In comfort terms I would summarise: the 2 seater is a bed that folds into a seat and the 3 seateris a seat that folds into a bed!

2 seat drawer has more capacity that the trays in the 3 seat config

don't mess about mate. get a grape yellow one !!!

20171105_115608.jpg

^ Interesting why do you think 2 seat is more comfy the 3 seat is much bigger and seats are surely same construction method and folding system?

The rear two seat bench in the Beach is the same unit as is fitted to the SE/Ocean. It was clearly designed for this camper van application as the seat cushion and seat back seem to be fairly basic in design. The back and seat are what amount to two flatish slabs of upholstered foam obviously done in order to provide a flat bed when converted. A major use in a camper van.

On the other hand I'm almost certain that the three seater rear bench in a Beach was designed for people carrying duties in the Caravelle. Accordingly, the seat back and seat cushion are contoured for maximum passenger comfort. When converted for bed use, it requires the VW Comfort mattress to turn a bumpy undulating surface into a flat bed. Don't even try to sleep on it without the VW Comfort mattress, you won't enjoy the experience. The two other differences are firstly that the three seater bed is higher than the two seater and secondly that it is a lot bigger unless you have the storage box option in the two seater Beach. So IMO it is unlikely that converting the three seater bench to a bed was anywhere near as as high up on the original design priorities list as the two seater bench was.

Having owned and slept on both versions all I can say is that both versions provide a flat and rather hard surface to sleep on. Apart from that I noticed no other differences in comfort between either versions. I have since become acclimatised to the hardness but for maximum comfort both need some form of topper. However, I much prefer the 1.5 metre bed width in the Beach to the meager 1.14 metre bed in the Se/Ocean.

I can't really comment on the comfort of either versions whilst in transit as I don't usually sit in the back. Mrs B won't drive a Cali!

Last edited:
Well I have a only slept in my 3-seat once but with the luxury topper its was very comfortable. I slept with the roof down but would be better with roof up for a feeling of more space.

Well I have a only slept in my 3-seat once but with the luxury topper its was very comfortable. I slept with the roof down but would be better with roof up for a feeling of more space.
You'll soon have your chance.:thumb

In my opinion the 3-seater bench only limit is that you can't slide any long item under the bed - e.g. unlike in the Custom Bus VW T6 Surf Edition:

http://www.custom-bus.de/Weiteres/VW-T6-Surf-Edition
Well that isn't really true. I'll grant you that you could't shove a surf board underneath but by removing the three rear covers, plastic under seat storage trays and opening the access flaps at the front you can easily pass narrow objects under the three seat bench.

Last edited:
Well that isn't really true. I'll grant you that you could't shove a surf board underneath but by removing the rear cover, plastic under seat storage trays and opening the access flap at the front you can easily pass narrow objects under the three seat bench.

Yes - long items like skis would easily fit through.

What if you took tbe trays out? I have not looked but dont think there anything alze from seat bottom to floor?

T
Yes - long items like skis would easily fit through.

That’s exactly what I did on my ski trip last year.
Surfboards go on the roof.

As for boiling tea etc. Get yourself an Alpkit brewkit or jetboil.
Boiling water within a few minutes.