Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front carpet mats

N

NicksCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Our RHS front mat has become a bit dirty and won't come up clean so I'd like to replace it.

Leaving aside that it's a bit bonkers that you can only ever buy them in pairs VW have quoted £142 (inc VAT) for a new pair which show as "Dark Palladium" on their system.

Any comment on whether this is actually the right colour?

Does anyone have any bright ideas about alternatives that actually look the part? I'd prefer to stick with individual mats rather than a "walk-through" alternative but maybe a walk-through is more practical?

Comment and guidance on alternatives would be very welcome!

Are these just the removable mats? What have you tried to clean it? One thing (I found on the internet and was a bit disbelieving but it works!) is to use a pressure washer to deep clean the mat with just plain water. Needs to be hung out to dry for a day or two but came up a treat. Worth a try before forking out that absurd price for new ones.

Our RHS front mat has become a bit dirty and won't come up clean so I'd like to replace it.

Leaving aside that it's a bit bonkers that you can only ever buy them in pairs VW have quoted £142 (inc VAT) for a new pair which show as "Dark Palladium" on their system.

Any comment on whether this is actually the right colour?

Does anyone have any bright ideas about alternatives that actually look the part? I'd prefer to stick with individual mats rather than a "walk-through" alternative but maybe a walk-through is more practical?

Comment and guidance on alternatives would be very welcome!
I’ve stored my removable mats from new but want to keep them for when we sell the van. We fitted a set of 3 rubber mats which look OK and are easy to remove and clean. They obviously protect the fitted carpet.

We’ve done the same. Rubber mats are the way to go! I give them a hoover and a wash each time I wash the van. A quick wash with a sponge, and dry off with a cloth. The carpet ones will only come out when we eventually sell the van.

I just bought cheap front mats from eBay, walk- through type. They are not as good quality as OEM, but are not bad and costed only £21.

I had bad experience with rubber mats in past, was never able to get rid of bad smell during car ownership. I still have them and use as shoe mats at home, 10 years later.

Last edited:
I just bought cheap front mats from eBay, walk- through type. They are not as good quality as OEM, but are not bad and costed only £21.

I had bad experience with rubber mats in past, was never able to get rid of bad smell during car ownership. I still have them and use as showle mats at home, 10 years later.
The VW ones dont smell at all the fit well and they are easy to clean

Wait for some to come up 2nd hand, I got a spare set on here for £50 I think, 2nd hand but never used. I swap the sets when I come back from camping. I am probably in the minority but cannot stand rubber mats……

Wait for come to some up 2nd hand, I got a spare set on here for £50 I think, 2nd hand but never used. I swap the sets when I come back from camping. I am probably in the minority but cannot stand rubber mats……
its personal preference

I use this companies mats in all my vehicles, you can customise the design with different thread and edging colours. Used them for years with no problems.

Are these just the removable mats? What have you tried to clean it? One thing (I found on the internet and was a bit disbelieving but it works!) is to use a pressure washer to deep clean the mat with just plain water. Needs to be hung out to dry for a day or two but came up a treat. Worth a try before forking out that absurd price for new ones.
Now THAT's an interesting one! I may well give it a go. Plain water should do no harm and as long as they're left to dry out completely won't smell like an old sheep!

I’ve stored my removable mats from new but want to keep them for when we sell the van. We fitted a set of 3 rubber mats which look OK and are easy to remove and clean. They obviously protect the fitted carpet.
I really wanted to stick with "carpet" as we're not keen on the rubber mat solution. Others seem to have gone the rubber mat route too, but it's not for us.

We’ve done the same. Rubber mats are the way to go! I give them a hoover and a wash each time I wash the van. A quick wash with a sponge, and dry off with a cloth. The carpet ones will only come out when we eventually sell the van.
There's an interesting rubber/carpet split on this. Personally we wanted to stick with carpet.

Another vote for high pressure hose.
Hot soapy water scrub between blasts - ours came up like new.
They dried overnight in the garden on a warm evening. Perfect.
b

We just don't want to go down the rubber mat route. It seems to be horses for courses on rubber or not.

The split is coming down in favour of rubber I think, but it's not our chosen route for sure!

Another vote for high pressure hose.
Hot soapy water scrub between blasts - ours came up like new.
They dried overnight in the garden on a warm evening. Perfect.
b
We don't fancy rubber, but we do fancy nicer carpet mats...... My neighbour has a swanky pressure washer that dispenses foam for his motorbike cleaning. I think I'll ask if I can borrow that and use turn and turn about with mine and plain water. It's definitely looking a good option!

I use this companies mats in all my vehicles, you can customise the design with different thread and edging colours. Used them for years with no problems.
I can only find complete all-in one mats, not two-off singles for L/R. Am I missing a trick? They certainly look to have a good quality choice of carpet grades. Have you managed to match one of their colour choices to Palladium, or is that a step to far?!