Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front end vibration on braking

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just appeared over last 100 miles. 57 Plate 4-motion with 5 pot motor and manual box.

When in high gears and braking from 60 down to 30 ish an unmistakable vibration from the front end (maybe driver side, maybe both) like driving over ruts in the road.
My son borrowed the van and drove 50 miles in it yesterday and unprompted reported the same thing. He thought he also heard a slight noise when turning hard right very slowly: "like cogs catching up" (he's a musician ;-) )
He looked outside and inside both front tyres to see if there were any blebs or anything. None.

I'm ringing the dealer at the beginning of the week but any suggestions would be welcome in the meantime. TIA Barry.

That sounds like a CV joint or warped discs. I know the 2.5 suffered from Driveshaft faults so probably the cv joint. I'm sure Alex will be along in a minute with some wisdom :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
That sounds like a CV joint or warped discs. I know the 2.5 suffered from Driveshaft faults so probably the cv joint. I'm sure Alex will be along in a minute with some wisdom :thumb

It's only 55K-ish miles but if you say the 2.5 has known driveshaft issues then 55K might be enough I guess. Bugger (in German)! Still I'll feed back when the dealer's had a look.

The only problems I've had thusfar have been minor habitation problems, this is the first 'van' problem. Oh well ...

So far as i'm aware all pre facelift t5's are prone to driveshaft failures regardless of engine. My old 1.9 transporter had one go at similar mileage. Wasn't aware of any of the noises you describe though. Best to get it checked out before it gives you a nasty surprise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Both front brake discs have become warped and need replacing.
And the associated brake pads.
Just under £300 incl VAT, fitted.

oh well ...

Doesnt sound too bad for discs and pads fitted, was this a VW dealer ?

beardie said:
Doesnt sound too bad for discs and pads fitted, was this a VW dealer ?

Yes, Verve VW Van Centre, Baillieston (East Side of Glasgow).
I bought the Cali from them when it was 2 1/2 years old
They don't do much California work in fact but wads of T5 stuff.

Glad it was the cheaper of the two options :thumb

Hi Folks
I have a 2006 registered VW Transporter T5 4motion with 200,000km on the clock. Engine is fine. However I have what has become a severe vibration in the front end when braking at all but the slowests of speeds. I have replaced the brake discs and pads and the CV joint as well as having the wheels alinged electronically and tracking rods replaced and tracking done. This has still not sorted the problem. Does anyone out there have any Idea what the problem might be as I am now several grand down and still frustrated. Any imput would be appreciated. Dave

Hi Folks
I have a 2006 registered VW Transporter T5 4motion with 200,000km on the clock. Engine is fine. However I have what has become a severe vibration in the front end when braking at all but the slowests of speeds. I have replaced the brake discs and pads and the CV joint as well as having the wheels alinged electronically and tracking rods replaced and tracking done. This has still not sorted the problem. Does anyone out there have any Idea what the problem might be as I am now several grand down and still frustrated. Any imput would be appreciated. Dave

Hi Dave, did you ever get this sorted? (I do hope so). I have the same problem and want to make the dealer aware before they replace everything.

Cheers
Jim

55k for a set of oem front discs and pads is good. The rears tend to last to around 100k.

55k for a set of oem front discs and pads is good. The rears tend to last to around 100k.
How about 77K for Front Disks and Pads. Rear disks still like new, but pads changed anyway.

Hi Dave, did you ever get this sorted? (I do hope so). I have the same problem and want to make the dealer aware before they replace everything.

Cheers
Jim
I'm afraid I doubt if you will get an answer. + daveadventure made just the 1 post back in 2013 and hasn't been back since.

Cheers
Jim
The same issue. When speed is decreasing (no matter you are using brake or car just stops without braking), from 5 kph till completely stop feels vibration. It starts after CV joints replacement. But when I returned car back to service, after quick check, they tell that nothing bad found and vibration somehow disappeared. After one day, same vibration again. Are you sorted it out?

Back