Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front passenger seat facing to the rear and driving

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know if it is legal to drive with the front seat facing to the rear and obviously no passenger sat on it. I would remove the headrest so no vision obstruction from that.

Cant see why there should be a problem legally with no-one on it. Only concern would be does it block your visibility - particularly the door mirror.

Can we ask why you would want to?

Can we ask why you would want to?
I have a kitchen pod which I want turn around so it is under the side window and still be able to use the downstairs bed, there is more room with the seat facing backwards but moved as far forward as possible. I will post a pic when I have done it

I have moved a few yards up the road with the seat facing the rear - the view is really restricted on the door mirror so would not want to "drive" with it like that

And if your driving viewpoints are obstructed in any way then the Police can prosecute you....you might get away with a warning only though.

Definitely something to avoid. As others have said, restricted vision, good chance of clattering in to something or someone and being very much at fault.

Not sure it’s a good idea
Probably best to turn air bag off

We had to move Cali on a car park last year - we'd parked in the 'wrong area'. As the passenger seat was already turned Mr B drove carefully with it facing back and couldn't see a thing through the door mirror. It was okay on a car park with me watching, but definitely not for driving on a road.

Back