Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Swivelling Seats in a T6 Ocean

L

Laidback

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When the front seats are rotated to face into the lounge area, they end up very close/touching the door side pockets. If you rotate the seats, the back rest control could actually damage/cut into the fabric of the pockets. Are the seats meant to lock in the rotated position ??
At this point in time I have cut some pieces of 3mm card board which clip over the door pockets to prevent damage, works but not exactly smart, currently looking for a better material, which can be shaped and pimped up.
Anybody got a good suggestions/solution?? thanks.

If you lock the passenger side one (right hand drive vehicles) the kitchen is a bit in the way... but the drivers side is ok. Then you have to be a little bit careful with the back rest on the steering wheel.
The care and treatment you apply is the key I'm afraid. If its possible to have the door open a little thats what I do. If not then I take the passenger seat because I'm generally the carefullest member of our family and I'm always conscious of it. That doesn't mean I can't relax in it either...you just get used to it.

Is it really possible on a T6 to swivel the seat without opening the door and not damaging the door card ?
Just yesterday someone else told this also .
On a T5 you damage the doorcard if not opening the door to have clearance.
Did Vw change things ? Must be a change in doorcard thickness .

When the front seats are rotated to face into the lounge area, they end up very close/touching the door side pockets. If you rotate the seats, the back rest control could actually damage/cut into the fabric of the pockets. Are the seats meant to lock in the rotated position ??
At this point in time I have cut some pieces of 3mm card board which clip over the door pockets to prevent damage, works but not exactly smart, currently looking for a better material, which can be shaped and pimped up.
Open the doors slightly to spin the seats without harming the trim.

I find it quite comfortable when sitting in the reversed passenger seat to have it at a slight angle and move it a few inches towards the rear. This allows you to recline the seat quite far back so the headrest is under the sun visor. This keeps it away from the door card and with the aid of the Dunhelm footrest gives me hours of intense relaxation with a glass of red.

In answer to the question, do they lock in place, the answer is yes. I think I also read somewhere that they should only be used in the locked position (so forward facing or fully rotated).

In answer to the question, do they lock in place, the answer is yes. I think I also read somewhere that they should only be used in the locked position (so forward facing or fully rotated).
I think the question was ‘are they meant to be locked in position?’ This is especially not a good idea in the passenger seat as it restricts your legroom.

Did the same thing on my first attempt.

Open the door one click and you'll be fine. Drivers side needs the standard 'backrake forward' and find that sweet spot to rotate.

I think the question was ‘are they meant to be locked in position?’ This is especially not a good idea in the passenger seat as it restricts your legroom.
I agree. But in the demo I sat in when ordering mine the signs were very clear, not to be sat in unless in the locked position...

Sorry good people, perhaps I have not explained myself very well.
Yes open the doors to rotate the seats to face the rear, but after that, if you close the doors ( lets say its raining) and sit in the seats, you can STILL rotate the seats as they do not appear to lock. This is the reason I have put a piece of card between the seat reclining knob and the door pockets, to prevent damage from accidental rotation of the seat. Was looking for a better solution than cardboard, or confirmation that the seats do not lock. I was hoping that once I found a suitable angle to sit at facing the rear, that the seat could be locked at that angle.

Yes open the doors to rotate the seats to face the rear, but after that, if you close the doors ( lets say its raining) and sit in the seats, you can STILL rotate the seats as they do not appear to lock. This is the reason I have put a piece of card between the seat reclining knob and the door pockets, to prevent damage from accidental rotation of the seat. Was looking for a better solution than cardboard, or confirmation that the seats do not lock. I was hoping that once I found a suitable angle to sit at facing the rear, that the seat could be locked at that angle.
Mine lock in position when 180 degrees from forward locking position. So they lock forwards and backwards.

Ok , confusing there .
The seat only locks in two places , facing forward driving position and facing to the rear while camping . No inbetween

No they do not lock at an angle, however if you follow my tip above the headrest will hit the A pillar first thus preventing the seat from turning too much and snagging the door.

Thanks for that, seats only lock in lock in 2 positions, Will try your tip re headrest Jodalo, and also the first glass of "red" when we reach French soil next week for the first time since lock down, cheers.

Our seats only lock when they’re at full 180 degree turn. If they’re at an angle they move. Can you post a pic of your cardboard solution so we can see?

Here is a nice how to video from California Chris showing a nice and easy way to position the drivers seat by sliding to specific positions so that the seat can swivel in one go without catching on various bits, need the handbrake off and door open and steering forwards still though. Hope the YouTube link is allowed to be posted.

Here is a nice how to video from California Chris showing a nice and easy way to position the drivers seat by sliding to specific positions so that the seat can swivel in one go without catching on various bits, need the handbrake off and door open and steering forwards still though. Hope the YouTube link is allowed to be posted.
Good old California Chris. He’s been promoted now, but has trained his descendants well. Adam, the young fella in Liverpool who dealt with us was fantastic. Really happy to help, gave us loads of time and answered ALL my questions When even my hubby was glazing over. Glad we went to L’pool, they were great. Chris set the bar I think and they continue his legacy.

Our seats only lock when they’re at full 180 degree turn. If they’re at an angle they move. Can you post a pic of your cardboard solution so we can see?
Hi ELLY, sorry for delay but here are some snaps as requested.
The piece of cardboard is 3mm thick, 150mm wide and 275 mm long.
The problem that I was trying to avoid was having the seats locked in the fore and aft position, as this leaves the passenger seat half blocked by the kitchen unit. It would have been nice to been able to rotate the seats through ( lets say 10 degree increments) and be able to lock them in that position. If the seats are left in the free rotating position then as you are no doubt aware you can damage the door pockets, especially small children swivelling about. Hence the piece of card between the back rest adjustment knob and door pocket. The card is not permanent, easy to store and used when parked up. Hope this helps and yes it works.

DPZ_1982 card.jpg

DPZ_1983 card2.jpg

DPZ_1982 card.jpg

DPZ_1985card3.jpg

DPZ_1986card4.jpg

Many thanks Nick and Sara , but this was not the problem I was trying to avoid. Good informative video, and thanks again.

The problem that I was trying to avoid was having the seats locked in the fore and aft position, as this leaves the passenger seat half blocked by the kitchen unit. It would have been nice to been able to rotate the seats through ( lets say 10 degree increments) and be able to lock them in that position. If the seats are left in the free rotating position then as you are no doubt aware you can damage the door pockets, especially small children swivelling about. Hence the piece of card between the back rest adjustment knob and door pocket. The card is not permanent, easy to store and used when parked up. Hope this helps and yes it works.

View attachment 62096

View attachment 62097

View attachment 62098

View attachment 62099

View attachment 62100
Okay, now I can see what you mean I'll have a think, Laidback.

View attachment 62096

View attachment 62097

View attachment 62098

View attachment 62099

View attachment 62100
I agree that it would be really great if we could lock it in increments of rotation and I too expected that.
I'm a fit of a fidgeter and find myself swivvelling if it's at an angle (so not just kids).

It's only the two of us and the dog, who has the front seat facing forward as his bed and chillout zone if we're camping. But if we're out with our little grandkids we have the seat rotated and locked straight forward so there's no wiggly, giggling.

Will have a think about it though as I just love a cali-conundrum.

Back