Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Problem

buster

buster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi has anyone had a problem with a gas smell from the rear of their cali i have started to notice a gas smell in my 2012 van the hob is also very difficult to light. any ideas please

Hi has anyone had a problem with a gas smell from the rear of their cali i have started to notice a gas smell in my 2012 van the hob is also very difficult to light. any ideas please
Is the Gas cylinder connection, regulator or rubber gas pipe leaking in the gas locker.?

If any of the above have failed then the heavier butane flows out of the bottom of the gas locker , around the rear NS wheel.

Thanks WelshGas i will have a look what is the best way to check for leaks?

Thanks WelshGas i will have a look what is the best way to check for leaks?
Water with a splash of washing up liquid so you get bubbles when stirred, and a brush to apply to the connections.

The rubber hose should be replaced every 5 or so years. The hose or regulator are the likely suspects.
The Forum shop sells replacements.

Thanks for the replies i have checked today and i believe the problem is the gas hose and regulator i am going to book it in with campervanbits after christmas to give it a proper check and look over its beyond my skill set
thanks

I had similar when I first purchased my Cali.
Only the slightest odour, but enough to want to investigate.

I used a small length (18” or so) of small plastic tubing, one end to ear whilst I moved other end over joints, connectors etc. you will hear the slightest of leaks. Mine turned out to be the shaft seal on the valve which screws into the Gaz bottle.

I hope this helps, good luck.

I had this problem after changing the cylinder. The manual says do it up finger tight but that all depends on your fingers! I usually follow the rule I was taught for working on bikes - finger tight then 'nip it up' with a spanner. I had changed the cylinder in a hurry before going away and forgotten my own advice!

Thanks for all your replies i have booked it in next year for a proper gas check in the meantime i have disconnected the Gas bottle to be safe although i think its now empty anyway

I found that the position of the regulator is such that it can unscrew the connection to the cylinder valve. If it’s bounced up and down it can slacken and leak. So it’s worth checking regularly and especially after rough roads or severe bumps.

Gas leaks are generally a very easy fix. Buy some leak spray. Probably just an o ring or loose connection